Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Questions, doubts, enigmas, impressions on fallout 1 from the worst rpg gamer ever.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Well, just some random thoughts on fallout, don't expect anything deep from a retard like me.
1) I really liked the character system, very nice, unique, had a lot of fun choosing which skills to tag and use during the adventure. Didn't like how the game handled agility, it's pretty much mandatory to have high agility in order to increase your action points count, I find this a weak choice since any character should start with 10 agility regardless of role orientation in order to achieve maximum combat efficacy.
2) Awesome equipment design: you need armor in order to survive in battle, the game doesn't give a shit if you're a behemoth or a puny man when you're face to face with a minigun. Again, I didn't like the fact that in order to survive you need brotherhood armor, maybe I don't know how to play properly, but doesn't seem very consistent to go around as a sneaky character incased in power armor.
3) I hated the way the game treats weapons: you need heavy guns in order to deal serious damage in combat against heavy enemies. In order to kill mother deathclaw I had to improvise and start putting skill points in big guns just to be able to use a rocket launcher 'cause it was absolutely impossible to kill her with just the .223 gun or shit like that. Maybe I needed aimed shots, I don't know, fact is the game favors some sort of uniformity in terms of equipment loadout in order to maximize damage output.
4) Incredible amount of choices, every freaking settlement presents you with a choice to help either one faction or the other: junktown, necropolis, hub, adytum, everywhere you go there is always a choice. I discovered recently that it was possible to speak to Set and have some kind of deal with him, yeah it turns out to be shit but still, it's awesome.
5) Not much C&C apart from ending screens, I hoped a little more reactivity here and there but still, having the citizens of adytum thank you for freeing them from their oppressive rulers was way more satisfying than saving the world as the dragonborn.
6) Top notch art direction: damn, every single place is different from the next. From the sterile cleanliness of the vault to the stern pride of the brotherhood and the rotten decay of necropolis. The brotherhood blew my mind, I just didn't expect to find 3 levels of pure beauty underground.
7) The master, damn, I need some assistance here, 'cause I have some questions to ask. First, the corridor of revulsion: I heard about that and wanted to experience the strange happenings but even after dropping the shitty psycher nullifier I wasn't able to have the various status updates describing the horrors happening in that place. Second, the dialogue with the master was a little messy: I discovered things that I couldn't find anywhere on the internet: when I waited for him to finish his long talk about how mutants are the best solution to the radioactive wasteland, I just couldn't get the option to tell him that his experiments were just a failure. I had literally to interrupt him in order to get the dialogue option that leads to that outcome. And when I chose the ''you've got a problem with your master plan'', he just said that his only problem was I. In this case I had to wait for him to finish his talking and not interrupt him in order to get the ''I happen to know that your mutants are sterile'' option. If I interrupted him between the words ''protection'' and ''but none shall breed'' this option was barred. What the fuck?! I had literally to dance between dialogue options and saved games in order to convince him to commit suicide. I don't know if this is a bug or some kind of random dialogue options having strange probabilities attached to them. I didn't like this.
8) Followers, lol, they just explode.
9) I had never seen such a coherent game before, everything fits with everything else in a beautiful harmony.

Gord

Arcane
GVjcwoQ.jpg

Gord

Arcane
Anyway, I never used Big Guns and since I rarely had good energy weapons when facing the Deathclaw, I've likely usually killed her with small guns.
A crit with a shotgun burst should do the trick and/or good ol' aimed shots to the eyes.
Not sure about your Master problems, don't remember noticing such a thing.
Also I play FO1 without followers nowadays, they got added late in development and it shows. Game gets easy enough without them soon, anyway.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Honestly, a lot of your problems seem to stem from the fact you might be trying to power through things head-on with a character not built for that. But at least you're trying and that sets you a notch above people who aren't even doing that yet feel compelled to bitch after 10 minutes of trying a game out.

You done good, with potential to grow. +M

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You don't need heavy weapons to do heavy damage. That .223 pistol is great but you need to use aimed shots and take proper perks.

There's really two different ways to be a gunslinger in Fallout. You can maximize shots/turn, or you can go for aimed shots.

In Fallout/2 I think shots/turn is the way to go, and in Fallout Tactics aimed shots all the way, makes those sniper rifles useful throughout the game.

I'd definitely suggest a melee/unarmed run maximizing hits/turn. With a power fist and/or sledgehammer you can pulverize the big baddies.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
In Tactics Fast Shot worked great with revolvers. Just walk into a room and drop 3-4 people in a single turn.

pippin

Thing is when you're fighting mutants those revolvers won't do shit.
Aimed shots are better since you pretty much have to fight everything from a distance as soon as you start fighting muties.
In 1/2 the situation is more flexible and you can experiment a bit with different solutions, though. Sometimes more shots per round feel better, sometimes it's good enough to have one shot kills when you can.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd definitely suggest a melee/unarmed run maximizing hits/turn. With a power fist and/or sledgehammer you can pulverize the big baddies.
I'd definitely suggest not following this advice unless you either know exactly what you're doing or want to enter a world of pain.
In fact even if you know what you're doing don't go melee in these games. Enemies will luck out and shred you to pieces with their miniguns and other nasty things a lot if you do. The RNG doesn't like melee builds and on top of that they are simply boring as fuck to play after a while.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
fact is the game favors some sort of uniformity in terms of equipment loadout in order to maximize damage output.

Just start off with Small Guns and take the Tag! perk at twelfth level to quickly raise Big Guns or (better yet) Energy Weapons.

Fast Shot means 5 shots per round with the Turbo Plasma Rifle; Luck 10 means they're crits. Everything just dies, and from long range; unlike the Alien Blaster, which you can reliably find with 9-10 LK.

EDIT- In Fallout 2 Fast Shot also wins, especially with Big Guns: each Bozar burst = upwards of 1,000 dmg and you get 3 bursts per turn, with the right build.

Last edited:
Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
fact is the game favors some sort of uniformity in terms of equipment loadout in order to maximize damage output.

Just start off with Small Guns and take the Tag! perk at twelfth level to quickly raise Big Guns or (better yet) Energy Weapons.

Fast Shot means 5 shots per round with the Turbo Plasma Rifle; Luck 10 means they're crits. Everything just dies, and from long range (unlike the Alien Blaster, which you can reliably find with 9-10 LK).

EDIT- In Fallout 2 Fast Shot also wins, especially with Big Guns: each Bozar burst = upwards of 1,000 dmg and you get 3 bursts per turn, with the right build.
You'd need also Bonus Rate of Fire to reduce the total cost of the weapon to 2 AP. With 10 action points, it means 5 shots per turn. Holy shit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That .233 pistol is hilariously overpowered. With good skills and headshots, it pops heads like nothing else.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
you dont need big guns to kill a deathclaw, i've killed the mother deathclaw plenty of times with assault rifles/combat shotguns before, tycho having a sniper/ian having the .223 pistol helps too

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Damn, why did I say there is no C&C in the game? I meant superficial consequences to your choices.

Tigranes

Arcane
Good small guns to the eyes pops deathclaws for hundreds of damage, so explore those perks and such more.

Followers in FO1&2 are a nice self-trolling exercise + also an existential meditation about the impossibility of cooperation in the wasteland

pippin

You can give them armor and weapons, and you can configure their behavior.
Also you can make them move so they don't block your way.
Companions were a big improvement over the first game.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I tend to only have a combat shotgun at best or maybe a sniper rifle when I take out deathclaw mother in FO1. It's difficult, but the reward can be well worth it.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Feh, all this pathetic mansplaining about killing the deathclaws with puny guns and crappy plasma rifles. So shameful. You should just learn from the glory of the womynfolk and do it with flares!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom