Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Question about quests, controls and character issues

ikarius

Novice
Ok, so this all sort of stems from my current issue, which is that I'm currently no longer able to progress on the main quest in kellen.

*spoiler*

The little girl who witnessed the murder does not like my 8 charisma fighter brute guy, so she will not take the potion I'm offering her.

*end spoiler*

So, I'm curious. I thought people reacted to my "party leader", and I have a high-charisma bard as my party leader. However, when I offer her the potion, the game says expressly that she does not trust my fighter, and she turns away. Perhaps I can give the potion to her parents, but this brings up a couple of questions. How badly is having a fighter with 8 charisma going to affect my interactions with *other* folks in the game? Is this an exception to the leader's charisma and speech being used for the interaction, or am I going to run into this constantly?

Also, one of the controls is "gather party", and it says that it forces everyone to gather to the leader. This implies that I can separate the characters, but I havent figured out any way to tell one character to walk somewhere without the others following right on his heels. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
--Ikarius

Korak

Novice
*spoiler*

ikarius said:
Ok, so this all sort of stems from my current issue, which is that I'm currently no longer able to progress on the main quest in kellen.
The little girl who witnessed the murder does not like my 8 charisma fighter brute guy, so she will not take the potion I'm offering her.

You can still finish the quest. But you can't cure Mena. She doesn't trust you enough to drink something you're offering her. But you can get her to point you where you want to go. If you want more hints on what to do let me know.

*end spoiler*

ikarius said:
So, I'm curious. I thought people reacted to my "party leader", and I have a high-charisma bard as my party leader. However, when I offer her the potion, the game says expressly that she does not trust my fighter, and she turns away. Perhaps I can give the potion to her parents, but this brings up a couple of questions. How badly is having a fighter with 8 charisma going to affect my interactions with *other* folks in the game? Is this an exception to the leader's charisma and speech being used for the interaction, or am I going to run into this constantly?

Good question. In the vast majority of interactions of encounters, only the leader's cha is relevant. On a few (very few) occasions however someone will respond negatively to the looks/manner of someone in your party. The notion is by and large people are swayed by the looks/persuasion of who's doing the talking, but in some situations, when someone really needs you to trust you, they may look to your associates as well. Or alternately the bumbling of a less charismatic party member may present itself unasked. Again, these instances are rare. So should you recreate your party? I wouldn't-- but there are a few places where having a character with an 8 CHA will hurt you.

In some ways this is a small thing, but it was an important design decision for us. One of the things that was very important to us was to create a sense that the choices you make really matter. And in far too many games, you can just create a party with one chararcter has a high CHA and everyone else has a CHA of 3. Now I'm not saying you did this (8 is a reasonable CHA), but it is something that bothers me. Also note-- that you are in now way screwed even if you did have a party with a bunch of 3 CHAs-- you could still finish the game, but there are ways it would hurt you.

ikarius said:
Also, one of the controls is "gather party", and it says that it forces everyone to gather to the leader. This implies that I can separate the characters, but I havent figured out any way to tell one character to walk somewhere without the others following right on his heels. Am I missing something here?

Nope. There is no way to separate characters. The gather party button is a fix (work around) because sometimes the party gets seperated accidently when you walk somewhere. People get stuck on something, etc and it can cause problems.

Rhys

Novice
The whole 8 charisma thing is worthwhile to make sure that you don't 'cheat' and go for low balling numbers when you create a character - but I will say having Tauna at 8 cha really is a bummer that might want to be reconsidered. To spend oodles of xp on her to get the music skill up to 50 so she doesn't randomly yawn and close off encounters was a big pain. If you create a character like that yourself, that's one thing...but NPCs is another...

Jed

Cipher
ReKoT said:
right click on your 8 charisma brute guy, and dismiss him, tell him to go to kellen and wella..
The little girl will drink the potion and u know who did it..

You will find your brute in the inn..
I don't think you can dismiss your own characters, only NPCs...or at least I couldn't figure it out when I really needed it...

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
you can't dismiss any of the starting three characters.

On Tauna -- it's kind of a balance/preference thing. We wanted there to be a little more decision making and tradeoffs to which NPC's you have travel with you. None of them are required. It's possible (albeit very difficult) to complete the game with just your starting 3 characters. And most you can dismiss and regain fairly easily. <shrug>

-mat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom