Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quest markers, stupid, popamole questmarkers

Do you use questmarkes in The Witchening 3?

• Yes, all the time (popamole)

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Never (I'm old school dawg)

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Sometimes I switch them on, but I try to avoid it

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I personally like how there are no chests and other secrets hidden every 3m and you can actually walk a pretty forest for some time and it looks and feels like a real forest and not some super mario dungeon of doom.
That said, there are a lot of chests hidden around outside of markers, maybe not every 3m but your typical empty zone on a map usually have several of them and other interesting features, sometimes with rare loot like recipes etc - so if you don't find anything in 10 minutes you must be very unlucky.

Some quests are doable without markers, but others are just mind blowing. Like that old nut asking to find his father's bones, "they be lying in the swamps". Well no shit yoda, Velen IS a swamp. Course it wasn't anywhere nearby but instead halfway across the world in the middle of nowhere.

:x

Ash_Firelord

Educated
I use the quest markers because 80% of the NPCs are horrible at giving directions.

What I did disable immediately was the annoying and noobish breadcrumb trail on the map.

Might seem a stupid distinction, but I have no problem with opening my map and seeing the spot / approximate area marked... But I hate the idea of having a GPS-like arrow pointing me each step of the way.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, that breadcrumb is the most dumbed down feature I've ever seen. Might as well they could switch on autopilot and Geralt would automatically navigate to the location.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Actually I think most of this dumb shit would be solved if devs dropped the minimaps altogether and focused on creating GOOD map screens where marks would appear as unlocked by previous quests / dialog. No clue where to go? Open your map. Not rocket science.

Cadmus

Arcane
lol skyrim having a good vibe as a living world? get out of here. It's got the vibe of a plastic Disneyland and nothing is more boring than walking around WITHOUT doing the quests.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Some quests are doable without markers, but others are just mind blowing. Like that old nut asking to find his father's bones, "they be lying in the swamps". Well no shit yoda, Velen IS a swamp. Course it wasn't anywhere nearby but instead halfway across the world in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah shit like that quest is where you know they decided to just slap down a quest marker and call it a day.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

If you made a voice over of a certain quality, you have to...cut some informations from the dialogues itself. This is not an excuse of course, because those info should at least be in the quest journal.

Frozen

Arcane
If they wanted a sense of urgency in open world game they should have some time constraints (Fallout 1) put into it.
Hell, even Mass Effect 3 has it (but only for N7 missions).
But noo it would upset the casuals.
Question marks, level restrictions, mini map, quest designs etc. even the open world gimmick are all there to please the casual (read: Skyrim) crowd.
Its a miracle that game is not utter shit with all this casual cater put into it.
Probably storyfag in me forgives too much...but for some strange reason this game is more than the sum of its parts which are all average et best.

Cadmus

Arcane
I turned off everything I could (don't think you can turn off the actual quest markers, right?) and it works nice except I never find any places of power anymore :(

Cadmus

Arcane
I turned off everything I could (don't think you can turn off the actual quest markers, right?) and it works nice except I never find any places of power anymore :(
Those are pretty rare after White Orchard anyway.
Uh-huh. I'm glad to hear it because it felt like I had been missing on tons of free skill points and I was considering turning the POI back on again just to find a few places of power.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Depends on how you define rare.
Can't bother checking it in-game, so I looked up a guide, but even without map markers you should be able to find a majority of them:

White Orchard has six places of power.

Velen also has six, but two or three of those are in main quest locations, and you'll almost certainly find them without quest markers.

Novigrad only has two, one of them located inside the city and another next to a horse race track (you'll probably "find" it if you just take part in the race). I'm guessing Cadmus is in Novigrad now, so it's no surprise he isn't finding many of them.

Skellige has eight, but several of those are located near main quest locations whereas some others are close to roads, towns or side quest locations: the beach where you start from, the druid's camp, the Sunstone quest dungeon, a witcher gear quest location, The Path of Warriors quest... There are only maybe two or three that require some free-roaming, but even those aren't hidden all that well.

So yeah, there are actually quite many of them, but few of those are out in the wilderness, and enabling the PoI's probably won't make that big of a difference in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom