Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Quest for Infamy Review at Gamebanshee

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Infamous Quests; Quest for Infamy

Gamebanshee's Steven Carter has reviewed Blackthorne's Quest for Glory-inspired adventure RPG Quest for Infamy. A large part of the review is just explaing what the game is and how it plays, but here are some of the more evaluative tidbits:

Like a lot of RPGs, the combat in Quest for Infamy starts out difficult and then gets easy. The main culprit here is the block skill. As you use your combat skills, you increase their ratings, but once you reach 100 with block, it's guaranteed to be successful, which means you can use it to heal yourself whenever you want -- and thus defeat any enemy in the game, even the end boss, regardless of your other skills or equipment. This completely deflates the RPG aspect of the game, leaving Quest for Infamy as mostly an adventure. [...]

Sadly, though, Quest for Infamy has three major problems that prevented me from enjoying it very much. The first is that it's almost a carbon copy of Quest for Glory I, except with an anti-hero instead of a hero. That doesn't necessarily sound bad, but developer Infamous Quests even copied the interface, and while people often get nostalgic for old games, it's not because of the interfaces. I can still enjoy a game even if it has old VGA-style graphics, but I'd just as soon avoid not having tooltips and scrollbars and quicksaves and context-sensitive cursors and other modern amenities. Plus, the more a new game looks and plays like an old game, the less reason there is for me to recommend it over the old game. In this case, you can buy all five of the Quest for Glory games for about half the price of Quest for Infamy, and no doubt enjoy them more.​

I must admit I'll never understand the "can't recommend over old games" argument -- it just eludes me completely. What if I have already played those old games?

Anyway, we go on:

The second problem is the writing quality, which doesn't even come close to the level found in the Quest for Glory games. Worse, the tone of the game is dramatically different. I guess because you're playing an anti-hero, Infamous Quests didn't want to have "nice" jokes and instead made a beeline straight for the gutter. In the first hour I played, I saw references to masturbation, drug use, hookers, sex with dogs, and STDs; there's a beheading complete with splurting blood; your character is allowed to urinate on all sorts of things; and "shit" was used almost every other word for some characters. And you don't even want to know about the "bush" jokes.

Infamous Quests was also a little lazy in their writing. Adventures can often create a lot of humor from when players get stuck and start trying out random inventory objects in random places, but in Quest for Infamy you almost always get a generic "you can't do that" response -- or the game calls you an idiot, which is one of its favorite pastimes. I laughed a lot when I played the Quest for Glory games, but not so much with Quest for Infamy.

Finally, the voice acting in Quest for Infamy is sort of odd and annoying. For some reason almost all of the secondary characters use bizarre accents, and even the main character mumbles his lines. If it hadn't been for the subtitles, I wouldn't have known what he was saying about half of the time. Since Quest for Infamy is a budget title, I'm sort of guessing the voice actors weren't professionals, or maybe this was an attempt at humor that just didn't work for me. Luckily, you can turn off the voices if you want and not have to deal with them.​

The reviewer concludes by calling Quest for Infamy "a disappointing misfire". Ouch.

Hopefully we'll have our own Quest for Infamy review sometime in the future, on the condition that esteemed community member Aeschylus finds the time to write down his impressions. You know you can't trust any other site's reviews, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steven Carter? On my Codex front page?

There hasn't been a review by this guy that didn't tick me off, srsly.

GameBanshee since BN and sea's departure is only worth it for WUE's newsbotting. Simone, if you're reading this, I salute you as a fellow news spammer. :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sorry, but since the departure of sea and BN (which you pointed out), I can't really tell the difference between GB's reviewers.

I found it pretty lulzy though, so that's why I linked to it - to contrast it with our reviews, which are obviously so much better. (Sorry, Gamebanshee.)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
What if I have already played those old games?
what if what you liked about the old games isn't at all replicated in qfi? i mean it's nice, but imo it's much further from the qfg experience than hq and does some things in a really derpy way.

Crooked Bee

Patron
What if I have already played those old games?
what if what you liked about the old games isn't at all replicated in qfi? i mean it's nice, but imo it's much further from the qfg experience than hq and does some things in a really derpy way.

That's a fair point, but do note that I specifically addressed the inane way Steven Carter presented it in my OP. I do think that "lol, why would I play this over [old game X]" is a derpy argument in and of itself - precisely because the entire point of a spiritual successor is to offer the same kind of experience that those older games did.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I tried reading the review but everything boil down to: "I'm Roger Erbert of the video games, see how I'm intellectual by completely missing the obvious point that this game was made by talented fans/developers as a homage to a style of games that isn't made today( the very fucking fans of the style had to make a game like that as the publishers could care less). No... I will not surrender to this nostalgic corruption... the muses that inspire my critic art, force me to only like true innovative RPGs like Mass Effect 3."

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
That's a fair point, but do note that I specifically addressed the inane way Steven Carter presented it in my OP. I do think that "lol, why would I play this over [old game X]" is a derpy argument in and of itself - precisely because the entire point of a spiritual successor is to offer the same kind of experience that those older games did.
eh, the way i see it his argument is inane not because of the "the less reason there is for me to recommend it over the old game" bit, but because of "Plus, the more a new game looks and plays like an old game". that bit about recommending the old games is clearly meant for people who haven't played the original, but it also partially answers your question of "what if i have already played them" since at the same time it implies it's close enough if you are desperate, which he addresses later on. the problem is that while rambling about the similarities all the fucking time, he just cites superficial ones, probably doesn't even know heroine quest, and fails to properly address what what qfg does better besides writing.

Crooked Bee

Patron
eh, the way i see it his argument is inane not because of the "the less reason there is for me to recommend it over the old game" bit, but because of "Plus, the more a new game looks and plays like an old game".

Well, that's kinda what I was trying to talk about :P Sorry if I couldn't formulate it properly.

Basically, which is in agreement with what you said, this particular bit
Plus, the more a new game looks and plays like an old game, the less reason there is for me to recommend it over the old game.
is one of the arguments I just hate the most in general. That just doesn't make any sense at all, particularly so for a game targeted precisely at people who want "more of the same".

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Plus, the more a new game looks and plays like an old game, the less reason there is for me to recommend it over the old game.
is one of the arguments I just hate the most in general. That just doesn't make any sense at all, particularly so for a game targeted precisely at people who want "more of the same".
it doesn't make much sense, but on the other hand, there is no reason why you can't upgrade the interface even in a spiritual successor. especially when you don't really use the ability to perform multiple different actions on the same object (in this particular case, since he didn't get that it's what the system allows, much like he seems to be missing the point of a spiritual successor, as you say).

Kz3r0

Arcane
So Quest for Infamy is as good as Quest for Glory?
11/10 GOTY then.
Heroine quest is better tho.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Steven Carter guy is indeed an awful reviewer.
I used to treat GameBanshee's reviews on par with Codex ones when it comes to seeking opinions on a game, but since he has started writing them, not any more.

mindreader

Novice
Could someone who has played this tell me if this guy is just a blowhard? I'm playing heroine's quest right now and quite liking it. And I was planning on going into quest for infamy afterwards.

Crooked Bee

Patron

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Played it for several hours on release, was decent enough but steam achievements were broken so I decided to wait for a patch... which never came.
Totally agree on the outdated interface, some things should really stay in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom