Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quest for glory

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You know that the QFG games are in scummvm now don't you?

(well except 5 - use the installer linked in the post in my sig for that)

It's not quite playable yet, but its coming.

mutile

Novice
Does QFG4 work in scummvm, it is not listed on the compatibility page?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Works on the svn (git now, but whatever) compiled with --enable-all-engines.

It works (more like runs...) badly.

Radisshu

Prophet
OracleX said:
So I installed the games and went thought the manual. I guess I'm ready!

Lemme see .....ahh character creator. I want to be a magic user. As far as I can see I don't need to spend point on skills like strength? What do you guys recommend on the stats?

Also this hybrid character seems interesting. Will such character gain all spells that the magic user could acquire? And how does this influence the rest of the games?

I'll like to put some thought in building my "hero" since we have a long way to go, with one another.

Please be light on the spoilers :) Thx!

Some things to keep in mind,

1. The game is a lot about learning the "pacing", you'll need to find a good place to rest each night, find a place to eat, a place to train at whatever you want your character to learn. It's kind of sim-like in how you'll need to repeat this process a few times to level up properly.

2. The first game provides you with unlimited time, so boost your stats as much as possible before finishing it, since the second game's got a time limit where you will have to do certain things on certain days.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for all the advise people it's very useful indeed.

So far I'm having allot of fun with the game. I really recommend it to people that didn't play it before and love the old school sierra games.

Ogre Smash

Novice
mutile said:
NewRisingSun patch prevents the swamp bug, also slowing down the cpu, if using dosbox cut the cycles right down, if using an older computer, use moslow, or if possible disable cpu l2 cache.

Yeah, I've tried the patch for the CD version, but I don't think it did anything. Basically its just a bunch of files, and I put them in the 'patch' folder, and the bug still appeared. Is there a specific way I'm supposed to apply that patch?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
As far as my knowledge of Sierra games says, just rewrite same files in the game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The CD version intro movie they tacked in cheapens to me the menu that appears after it.

Sierra of this time appeared to have questionable aesthetics of how to make cd versions.

I mean they also changed the gabriel knight menu from this:

479065-sierra_000_super.png

to this:
1-menu.jpg

It's just wrong.

Good thing the music is still as awesome liverecorded (i think).

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
SCO said:
DoomIhlVaria said:
If you go Fighter, I'd recommend buying Climbing early on. You get it for free in Quest for Glory 4 as a Fighter (Thief gets from the start) but you need a pretty high score by the end of game and it can get a little annoying training it up from scratch. But in general a lot of insufficient skill problems can be solved by jacking up the game speed and doing something that requires only one click, it is like classic Ultima Online or the Elder Scrolls games in that respect.

"Climbing" (you mean acrobatics?) is the secret skill in QFG3 that you can get by being a thief and speaking to someone in that game.

No, by "Climbing" I mean "Climbing". It is normally a Thief skill until QFG4 when it also becomes a Fighter skill. It kind of cheapened the Fighter puzzles a little, I think. Acrobatics is for jumping around while Climbing is just for getting over a wall or up a rope or something. Its most common use for a Fighter before the QFG4 puzzles is getting over the city walls at night.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
Good thing the music is still as awesome liverecorded (i think).
In the original it was MIDI. Sounds awesome on a Sound Canvas (as does the entire soundtrack, really). Agreed on the menu though, the CD one looks.... ugh.

Regarding QFG bugs, 3 has lots of bugs even after patching. Not sure if the version on the Anthology CD does anything to fix them. Many thanks for the 4 unofficial patches, didn't know about these until now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom