Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quest For Glory

Jaqen

Novice
Hi all,

Have never played the 'Quest For Glory' series, is it recomended by you lot?
Thinking of giving it a try. Big fan of adventure games and I seem to have missed this.

Silly question but, its best starting with number 1 right? I see there are 5?
All need playing through dosbox?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fuck yeah, QFG is an awesome RPG/adventure hybrid. Combat system isn't great in any of them, but unless you're playing a fighter there isn't THAT mugh fighting anyway. Mulitple plot threads across the entire series is always nice.

Definitely start with first one, taking the same character across is always more fun. I'd play the following versions: 1 VGA official remake, 2 VGA unofficial remake, 3, 4 CD, then 5. If you feel like playing with the old text parser you can play the first 2 original versions, but the remakes are quite good so no need.

I strongly recommend against class-switching (some games let you do this when you import) and "multiclassing" (adding skills that the class doesn't start with). Playing pure classes is much more fun. Oh and your fighter gets 2 chances to become a Paladin, highly recommended you take them (well, take the first one if you can, in game 2). I'm biased towards the mage because he's tons of fun in 1 and 3, but the Thief is even more fun in 1, and gets the most interesting and involved ending sequences in 2 and 3 (did I mention lots of events are VERY different depending on which class you use?)

tl;dr awesome games.

PS be sure to patch 3, 4 and 5, as they're otherwise full of showstoppers.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I made a nocd for qfg5 too. But it's now included in Collector installers for sierra games. These are recommended for all sierra games: they make the games "portable" and install patches. Though Scummvm now also has sierra support and you might want to use it since their "patches" are bound to be superior (and you might have to reinstall some games since they might not accept the patches).
Quest for glory 5 is not in scummvm however, it is not a normal interpreter game.

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updat ... llers.html

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sceptic said:
I strongly recommend against class-switching (some games let you do this when you import) and "multiclassing" (adding skills that the class doesn't start with). Playing pure classes is much more fun.

Man you never had a
paladin thief guildmaster king
? You missed out on some irony.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Instead of playing 2 you can play the fan remake:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

It's completely faithful (there is even a text parser if you want to use it - and some dialog only appears on it i think), and it has a better combat system and a few additional dialog and things to do to join the games a little better. Can import and export the hero as the normal games.

Only bad thing, you'll miss the combat system special moves and shit on the next games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
SCO said:
missed out on some irony.
Oh I did try it, and it was fun, in a lulzy game-breaking way. Which is why I don't recommend it for a first run. Once you know the games upside down, sure it's fun to try shit like this, but I like to leave the first run as pure as possible.

Instead of playing 2 you can play the fan remake:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/
Yeah, I included that as a recommendation because it's such a good remake. What did you mean by "missing combat special moves on the next games" though? I don't remember learning any special moves in QFG2 that are only available later on if you import your char. Did I miss something or did I forget about a big chunk of gameplay? IIRC combat in 3 was pretty straightforward (and, in melee, very boring).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nope. I meant the combat will be even more boring after the slightly better combat of the QFG2 remake. In QFG3, 4 and 5 actually.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I sometimes wonder what rakeesh was smoking to make a thief a paladin (it IS possible ingame).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Jaqen - the way to make these multiclassed characters is to invest your starting points at the start of a new games in learning a new skill - if it is zero, you can never grind anything of it ingame - and you'll need to *grind*. There are some hexploits for grinding. But i'm not going to tell you.
Mild spoilers about skills follow
If you try to make a spellcaster thief or something, be aware that certain spells are only on certain games, and you will not get them all (only wizards can - a great irritant to my obsessive compulsive paladin/thief/magician). There are two or three new skills that can be learned in-game by certain actions - they are secret in the game they appear, and are a normal skill in the next game - so you don't need to invest, if you play it right, and have the right class. Acrobatics is one in QFG3, and there is another in QFG2 in a plot part i forget (conversation?). If you don't grind it is quite likely your imported character is *less* powerful than a newly created one, on at least some skills.

And ... getting a paladin is *hard* it involves your honor points (but not only) in QFG 2 (any class) or 3 (only fighters for some reason). Or you can be a weakling and use the import cheat.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW i think that current scummvm snapshots are likely the way to play at least the early sierra games now, including QFG1 & 2(if you prefer the original) & possibly 3

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If this is the first time you're going through the QFG series, just roll a character and enjoy. Don't worry about getting every skill or spell or anything, just waltz through it with your chosen class and then realize you love the game so much you're willing to go through it again with another one.

This is seriously a game you should love, not understand, and reading all these suggestions just took a bit of the magic away from you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there a list of Non-Spoiler bugs to avoid in So You Want To Be A Hero? (QFG1 EGA Version) Or is the version on GOG just fine?

I'm playing this for the first time. And man I so have forgotten what it was like to use a text parser.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
QFG's pretty good about not letting you get into dead ends, and I don't remember any particularly nasty bugs in HQ1 (though I haven't played it in a VERY long time).

And fuck you're FINALLY playing this! :love:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
QFG's pretty good about not letting you get into dead ends, and I don't remember any particularly nasty bugs in HQ1 (though I haven't played it in a VERY long time).

And fuck you're FINALLY playing this! :love:

OK thanks! REALLY enjoying this. And OH GAWD THE GLORIOUS MT-32 MUSIC <3

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Just wait until you hear the Sound Canvas music in 3 and 4...

Good luck getting full points in 1 and 2 ;)

Erebus

Arcane
There's an annoying game-breaking bug if you play as a fighter in QfG 2 (even the remake, strangely). To avoid it, don't enter a strength contest against the blacksmith unless you have to.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just wait until you hear the Sound Canvas music in 3 and 4...

:bounce:

Good luck getting full points in 1 and 2 ;)

Yeah. That's not going to happen. I'm at like 180 right now. I know I am missing tons of crap or something :/

There's an annoying game-breaking bug if you play as a fighter in QfG 2 (even the remake, strangely). To avoid it, don't enter a strength contest against the blacksmith unless you have to.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

I am completely stumped on how to start dealing with the brigands. My best guess is either involves the tavern, or some place at night.... Or something incredibly fucking simple I am overlooking it.

I got my fucking chainmail now. I just mass murdered brigands for a few days.... :D

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I am completely stumped on how to start dealing with the brigands. My best guess is either involves the tavern, or some place at night.... Or something incredibly fucking simple I am overlooking it.
No need to rush. There's a few things you need to do before you go to the end game, and others you don't strictly need to do, so take your time. Do investigate the tavern (hint: you're a thief. Who do you think you should be talking letting know you're one?). Also, have you explored everywhere? several times? at different times of the day? after having accomplished other tasks and found notes that tell you something might be worth checking out there?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No need to rush. There's a few things you need to do before you go to the end game, and others you don't strictly need to do, so take your time. Do investigate the tavern (hint: you're a thief. Who do you think you should be talking letting know you're one?). Also, have you explored everywhere? several times? at different times of the day? after having accomplished other tasks and found notes that tell you something might be worth checking out there?

Heh I actually re-started as a fighter. So I am 100% certain *something* thief wise is going on at the bar. I'll leave that for my thief play-through. I did find that "note" between B and B. hehe that was clever. I now can survive somewhat better now at night. So I'll spend a bit of time exploring night time now, in my sexy chainmail.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
When going for max points keep in mind each class gets rewarded for doing things that class's way. Fighter? kill things whenever they're in your way (do save first if it's a puzzle solution... there are a couple of exceptions, though they should be obvious), including one of each enemy (some only spawn at night... have fun!). Story-wise the Fighter's my favorite playthrough, as there's one very fun sidequest only he gets in both of QFG2 and QFG3, and several plot threads in QFG4 can only be resolved by a Paladin. That is one thing you'll have to really be careful about in 2 btw... the Fighter's the ideal class to switch to Paladin (and there's no reason not to, as there isn't any real Fighter-specific content afterwards), but it's very easy for a first-timer to botch the conversion. Though not so much if you refrain from powergaming and actually role-play a paladin ;)

Erebus

Arcane
You can switch to paladin near the middle of QfG3, but only if you're a fighter.

I've never tried switching from thief or wizard to paladin in QfG2 and I'm a bit curious as to how it would work. Does the hero gain the ability to wield a sword ? What happens when he faces class-dependent events ?

For instance, what gift does he get at the beginning of QfG3 ? Is he able to become a warrior of the simbani tribe ? Would a wizard-paladin be able to get a magic staff ?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
fighter solving QFG1 is pretty straightforward.
if you really need a hint for brigand, u can simply waltz into their compound, kill everyone inside with brute force. through the front door.

no lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom