Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

Astral Rag

Arcane

http://www.esreality.com/post/2902102/stop-playing-quake-live-c-tim/
https://www.reddit.com/r/QuakeChampions/comments/7hxkjy/tim_willits_stop_playing_quake_live/

:lol:

TOTY1jp.png

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
"It's built off everything we learned from Quake 3, that's why we outsourced it to a bunch of slavs who can't even get basic hitreg right"

Astral Rag

Arcane
"It's built off everything we learned from Quake 3, that's why we outsourced it to a bunch of slavs who can't even get basic hitreg right"

It's built off everything we learned from Quake 3, that's why it plays like a 2nd class current year hero shooter with some tacked on superficial Quake elements.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
You can play Quakeworld, Quake 2, or CPMA for free just go play those. At the very least you could spend a dollar on Quake Live when it's on sale instead of $30 to get into QC in its buggy, unfinished state.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
From Reddit:

Sure mate, cut the "always online game as a service crap" and it's all good we'll switch over permanently.

As of right now QC has :
  • No offline mode with bots. Every God Damn AFPS has offline bots : Quake 3, Quake Live, UT2K4, UT3, UT99, Reflex, Toxikk, ,UT4, Quake 2 - Gladiator Bots, Quake 1 - Omicron bots, Quake 4 - Q4max bots . Every damn one of those games for the past 18 years. And now you come and pitch us this ALWAYS ONLINE crap. "game-as-a-service" Seriously ?
  • No map editor or custom map support
  • No mod support
  • No LAN mode or private servers ( Please tell the people in South America, South Africa and regions far away from the servers just how great of an experience it is playing with ping over 100 ms.)

Tim, remember how you got your job as a content creator for id's games ?

Ouch.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Official id response:
Just to address some of your thoughts:

Adding bots is a top-line priority for us, and one of the most (if not THE most) important things we're driving towards right now for 2018. It's vitally important that we have AI for players to practice against, and have a more casual session fragging bots solo or with friends.

Regarding always online, I've said it before but our focus right now is on improving the multiplayer experience, whether that's pvp against other players or connecting with your friends online to play against the aforementioned bots. We've been improving there, and we have more to go, and that's what we need to focus development time on. As a general thought, I think that having a great online experience that feels smooth wouldn't feel very different from an offline experience. While I realize there are other reasons for certain players wanting an offline mode--bandwidth limits or service outages with their ISP, for example--I think what the majority of players really want is just to have a polished experience, whether it's offline or online. We're working hard to deliver that kind of online experience.

As far as maps and mods goes, I think everyone realizes that id Software has a long history with maps and mod support, and Bethesda as a publisher has been dedicated to supporting content creators for their titles. Further down the road we'd like to start thinking about how we might potentially support this--"what is the pipeline for reviewing player-created content to make sure it works with QC?" "How do we get that content into the hands of the community on Steam and Bethesda.net?" Those are questions we have to figure out.

We're looking into server support for as many South American regions as possible. One thing people might not be aware of is how internet architecture works and how that affects latency; some players think that if you spin up a server in a specific area, the only consideration for latency is physical distance to the server. (Usually thought of in a straight line: "I live here, server is X distance away, my ping there should be good!") That's not the case though, as the infrastructure traffic is routed through might wind all over the place, in some cases taking very indirect pathways to reach countries that are geographically next door, which affects your experience. Whenever we look at adding servers, we try to find areas with the most suitable infrastructure to create the best experience. This is something we're looking into with South America, as well as other territories right now.

And just to address the video itself, Q3 and Quake Live are incredible games that are beloved by the community and have stood the test of time in how good their design is. And I think what Tim is getting at is that, with Quake Champions, we're trying to build on that by retaining the spirit of that design in Quake Champions, so that if you loved Quake Live you will find an experience you like in QC. But one of the things that we're able to do with Quake Champions that we can't with Quake Live is to add new experiences that live under the umbrella of the Quake franchise: give players something new, something fun, and hopefully something that delivers great moments that evoke the same feelings you had while playing previous Quake games, and maybe even some new ones. We can't wait to show you what we have in store for 2018.

:M

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
From Reddit:

Sure mate, cut the "always online game as a service crap" and it's all good we'll switch over permanently.

As of right now QC has :
  • No offline mode with bots. Every God Damn AFPS has offline bots : Quake 3, Quake Live, UT2K4, UT3, UT99, Reflex, Toxikk, ,UT4, Quake 2 - Gladiator Bots, Quake 1 - Omicron bots, Quake 4 - Q4max bots . Every damn one of those games for the past 18 years. And now you come and pitch us this ALWAYS ONLINE crap. "game-as-a-service" Seriously ?
  • No map editor or custom map support
  • No mod support
  • No LAN mode or private servers ( Please tell the people in South America, South Africa and regions far away from the servers just how great of an experience it is playing with ping over 100 ms.)

Tim, remember how you got your job as a content creator for id's games ?

Ouch.

These people are deluded, none of those would help QC even a little bit. And enough with the stupid fuckwit excuses, 'game-as--a-service' for mp games works just fine.
All this game needed was a half decent dev team and less elitist/edgy marketing.

Venser

Erudite
This is what I would do balance wise.

Anarki
increase player model and hitbox to match someone like Visor.
increase his HP from 75 to 85

Visor
Increase Visor's base speed and acceleration to be exactly the same as in QL. They slowed down Visor because he's the only champion with uncapped max speed but it doesn't make sense because even in the hands of best defraggers Visor won't be anywhere near as fast as CPM champions that are flying around the map.

Doom Slayer
Reduce the lock on range on Doom's ultimate. The range is ridiculous and has to be lowered.
Add variety of kill animations to Doom's ultimate.
Reduce the music volume of the ultimate by 30%. After killing opponent with his ultimate last Dreamhack, Cooller got jumped by an opponent while the music was still playing and got killed cause he couldn't hear him coming. It's just stupid.

Clutch
Remove Clutch's ability to see Nyx through the shield. If you think about the lore, Nyx temporarily shifts into another dimension. It doesn't make sense Clutch's defensive shield would be able to see her and gameplay wise it doesn't make sense that you would take the only defensive option away from a fragile champion when fighting the most buff champion in the game.

abija

Prophet
The connection is they gave q3/live source code to saber to copy movement code and whatever the fuck else they could integrate in their shitty engine.

Cat

also: ⛽
Randomly saw that someone had commented on my old QL lightning gun tutorial. Do people still play QL/QC? Last I checked QC was shit and everyone I knew from QL was playing QC instead.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok did i miss something?! Is this game out or is it in beta/early access/demo state? I remember people talking about it and then nothing. Is it really that forgettable that nobody noticed that it is out?

Sentinel

Arcane
early access/closed beta (only people allowed in are those who pay + those who were in the previous free restricted closed beta cycles exclusive to bethesda launcher)

grimace

Arcane
Quake2CoverB.jpg.size-600.jpg

Quake2CoverA.jpg.size-600.jpg

Quake-1-Cover-D-by-Tazio-Bettin-600x910.jpg

Quake-Champions-Page-2-600x905.jpg

Titan comics teams up with Bethesda Softworks to publish brand-new comics based on the best-selling franchise, which lead directly into the upcoming new game Quake Champions.

The Quake Champions comic is a direct prequel to the new game and establishes the characters that will feature in the explosive new game!

https://titan-comics.com/c/1022-quake-champions/

A 13 year old might recognize the Quake brand from watching their favorite streamer mention Quake. Look at this comic! Wow.

Some games have far less synergies.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
WTF is with all those acceleration boosts for holding forwards but decreases for strafejumping? More casual pandering?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Venser

Erudite
It's the same thing they added to Quake Live with Steam release. Might help absolute noobs but it's irrelevant once you learn to strafe.

abija

Prophet
If they want to make movement easier for new players they should have the balls to remove strafe jumping and increase the speed. Otherwise get some proper tutorials in the game.
This schizophrenic mix of a system they have now is way more confusing than what q3 had. How does it even make sense that sorlag needs strafe to accelerate fast then at cap loses speed if not using only +forward? Just explaining shit like that sends a new player snoring to pubg.

grimace

Arcane
Also, as soon as the update is completed, it will be the start of a Double XP weekend running until 18.12.17.

WINTER CELEBRATION ITEMS
The Winter Holiday has come to Quake Champions! Players who logs in during December and January will receive free rewards! We have a ton of new holiday items, all of which drop from Backpacks, Crates, and Reliquaries. New Winter items include:

1 Winter 2017 Hat Vanity for each Champion
10 Winter Profile Icons
10 Winter Nameplates
3 Winter 2017 animated Champion Shaders
3 Winter 2017 Weapon Shaders for each weapon

I wish this were not real.

Games are ruined by the Holiday Update requirement.

abija

Prophet
Bethesda probably already gave up on the game. Incoming minimal changes with maximum milking through loot boxes.

grimace

Arcane
Private Messaging added

(example: hey bb wyd??)

Winter holiday décor removed

(Please don't add holiday stuff in December 2018.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom