Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

abija

Prophet
Loved how they talked about having fixed network issues while all they did was cycle through different versions of shit.

Also bonus points for patch with new hero and duel map just 1 week (or less) before quakecon tournament. Guess it's a huge improvement to the game changing patch that happened 2 days before qualifiers.

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
CTF is only something they've 'heavily considered'? Wow. It should be in there now along with with a map editor. I mean, 'community' maps. What a waste of priorities.

abija

Prophet
Can't have community maps now, they would actually use 1000x less polygons and make the "real" devs look bad.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
these new champions man...

28bd94f58e.png

DxCizEC.jpg

FigC5kP.jpg
image.png

image.png

JtCXqdM.jpg

Quake_Article_GitA_1315x315.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/sE1Gy

I like little details like flashlight on elbow where other soldiers keep knife...

edit
noice

weird, they won't bring Sarge because they can't find some skill/class for him but they bring Raine aka RAGE protagonist? After game failure it's surprising...

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Visibility felt even worse since last patch like they added a mix of digital vibrance and glow so I recorded to check.
Behold the flares 2 guys fighting with rockets produce: https://gfycat.com/CheerfulUnfortunateGalapagostortoise. How exactly does shit like that get past a first discussion, nevermind ending up in the final product?

Also, custom games only available to EA. Guess jews gotta jew.

Sentinel

Arcane
Have they added a server browser yet? Honestly I realized while playing Red Orchestra 2 the other day that the thing I miss the most about old school shooters is the server browser. There's quite nothing like having your "home server" that you'd log on to everyday and recognize everyone playing there. It was cool as fuck. Now every game is just random strangers, feels completely soul-less.

Also the spectator UI is kind of a mess.

abija

Prophet
They added a "keep playing in this lobby" feature but the implementation makes it completely useless atm (probably more than 50% chance you end up being forced to quit the game and requeue normally). Copying from TF2 or Overwatch QuickPlay is too much hard work for these guys.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Forty Bucks? I played the beta or whatever they call that stuff now but forty bucks for a slowed down, gimped, 'uprgradable', weird little more than monetized Utinty deathmath without CTF or a map editor. What is this trash? It ain't Quake, it isn't Doom, it isn't even barely a game.

The year is 2017 and you'd think a multi-million dollar company could actually build a something that is fun to play. I don't understand. I thought that 'Early Access' was for indies and dumb fucks that are struggling to make an actual game and a dollar.

These assholes have the audacity to call it Quake? What a load of bullshit. I'm just really bummed out. I won't give them a dime.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Idk willits said something along the lines of "customization of q3/ql made the game look ugly and sponsors hated it". So I guess they built it for sponsors?

Revenant

And of course, there won't be a Linux version because Bletpizda, even though the Quake series (while they were released by id, at least) traditionally had Linux clients.

The more I see of this game, the more I have to wonder - who the fuck is this game for? Veterans will just play Quake Live, new players will just quit after losing a round 20-0 and won't have the desire or resilience to learn a game as difficult as Quake, even if it's dumbed down Quake like this. They'll all go back to Overwatch or whatever team-based shooter that lets them idle around and not carry their own weight for a round, and still feel awesome pressing all the buttons everytime the cooldowns are up.

This is as dead in the water as I can imagine.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't think QC will last more than a few tourneys. I tried to stay cautiously optimistic but they haven't really fixed anything since the first beta and have made it clear they don't want to.

Sentinel

Arcane
Early Access is a huge fat mistake if they want to attract a new audience to the game. Since the game has no balancing systems in place or server browser where new players can join servers for new people, they'll just get fucking crushed and ask for a refund.

This and the fact that the game's been in beta for 5 months and the netcode is STILL complete shit despite them saying "lol it's fixed now" repeatedly just spells out the obvious - it's a shitty outsourced cashgrab to try and get some money out of eSports.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more I see of this game, the more I have to wonder - who the fuck is this game for? Veterans will just play Quake Live, new players will just quit after losing a round 20-0 and won't have the desire or resilience to learn a game as difficult as Quake, even if it's dumbed down Quake like this. They'll all go back to Overwatch or whatever team-based shooter that lets them idle around and not carry their own weight for a round, and still feel awesome pressing all the buttons everytime the cooldowns are up.

This is as dead in the water as I can imagine.
Well... I'm speaking from my experience so this obviously doesn't cover all FPS audience. I grew up with UT2k4 rather than Q3A or Quake as a whole. I first played Quake Live in 2015 when it came to Steam, I liked it, the movement felt more fluid than UT2k4, a lot of fun maps too but I kinda missed alternative fires. The problem with QL is it doesn't really give any chance for beginners to learn. I played it for about 12 hours and the community felt like a huge toxic pool, the so-called veterans seemed like they enjoyed themselves berating every beginner than stand in their way like some kind of sadistic, my most favorite insult was "chew worms and spit it into your trans penis you cuck". Whenever I had some decent games which means positive kdr, most of the time they would check my account and impressively, went straight into my profile and drop insults in comment section, one even added some of my friends and sent the same "your friend was born in a tube" messages to everyone, luckily not all of them understand English so they thought it was some stupid scammers.

So yeah, I like Quake Live, I enjoyed the time spent into it, however from my perspective, the reason why that game's dying out is because of its toxic community. The most popular multiplayer games in the market atm are team-based games, so most people gonna queue with their friends and avoid bm, that's not the case with Quake, as a beginner, you either git gud in a few minutes or get kicked and insulted. I'm not the kind of person who rage quit when I lose horribly, fuck I lost 8-23 in a QC FFA match last night, I proceeded to play 3 more matches even though it was 3am in the morning because it was fun as fuck and people in that lobby sticked together and joked around, one even mimicked announcer voice and he changed the enemy got quad line into "O SHIT DEATH MACHINE COMIN', RUN YOU CUNTS". I acknowledge QL to be the better, the "pure" Quake or whatever they say, but I can only afford 2 hours to play video games each day and I already have shit tons of singleplayer games where I don't need to give a single fuck to horrible people in multiplayer matches, The White March, Renowned Explorers, fuck I still haven't launched Invisible Inc yet... so the fact that I actually spent those times into a multiplayer shooter with high skill celling like Quake Champions and actually enjoyed it is like some kind of fucking strange phenomenon, but I really did. QC made me uninstall Overwatch after not playing for 3 months, I met a lot of fun people in my region after spending 14 hours into it, and to be honest this is the reason why I'm sticking to the game even though I'm not kicking ass in every match. I'd rather have a "bastardized" but entertaining game with a healthy community rather than the purest AFPS on the market with a poisonous playerbase that's ready to throw shade at you for pressing WASD. I suffer from depression in real life, I don't need some fucking veterans to tell me to kill myself when I couldn't get into top 3 FFA because I already think about it everyday, no need to remind me to grow thick skin because it already shattered a long time ago. Quake Champions is here to stay, I'm not sure how long it's gonna last, but I'm absolutely in love with it and I don't want it to go down at all.

Well I mean, thanks for sharing your opinion but I think you're proving my point.

"Toxic" online communities are pretty much in every multiplayer-only game out there, it's a just a given - mute everyone and pretend they're all bots.

The issue with Quake is, it's impossible to have fun unless you're competent - and to get competent, you have to eat a lot of shit, with very little perspective of improving. It's not a didactic game by nature. People get discouraged when they lose - especially today in an age of overwhelming positive reinforcement and "awesome buttans". People have short attention spans. Quake - even watered-down Quake like QC - is a game that demands razor sharp attention and reflexes - for better or worse, the people who play these games regularly have been playing them for the better part of 15 years. There's a mountain to climb to even start.

The fact that you had fun with those blokes for awhile is great and all, but you have to realize it won't last. The only reason people stick with these types of games is if they want to get good at it. Getting good in a game where there's only you to blame for your loss is hard. People quit. They'll quit QL too.

Which brings me to my original point, who is this game for?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Nah you don't have to get good in Quake Live you could just dick around in clan arena or freeze tag like 90% of the current QL population.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well I mean, thanks for sharing your opinion but I think you're proving my point.

"Toxic" online communities are pretty much in every multiplayer-only game out there, it's a just a given - mute everyone and pretend they're all bots.

The issue with Quake is, it's impossible to have fun unless you're competent - and to get competent, you have to eat a lot of shit, with very little perspective of improving. It's not a didactic game by nature. People get discouraged when they lose - especially today in an age of overwhelming positive reinforcement and "awesome buttans". People have short attention spans. Quake - even watered-down Quake like QC - is a game that demands razor sharp attention and reflexes - for better or worse, the people who play these games regularly have been playing them for the better part of 15 years. There's a mountain to climb to even start.

The fact that you had fun with those blokes for awhile is great and all, but you have to realize it won't last. The only reason people stick with these types of games is if they want to get good at it. Getting good in a game where there's only you to blame for your loss is hard. People quit. They'll quit QL too.

Which brings me to my original point, who is this game for?
haha my bad, I didn't realize I was basically delivering a monologue :o but yes I do agree with you.

About the shift in modern audience's interest in FPS, I think it's gaming industry's fault, mass audience these days want to be feeded instead of finding games by themselves, and especially since in this age people prefer games that they like to play with their friends rather than alone. The most common recommendation that I heard about Overwatch and PUBG is "only play it if you have some wingmen along" so developers start heavily catering to player groups rather than singular player. Quake and AFPS as a whole isn't like that, when you win, you win, when you lose, you lose, there's no middle ground like in popular team based games these days. The most popular multiplayer games atm are team-based, people only need to be above average to succeed in those games because you have your teammates that you can fall your back onto. It's not wrong to develop that mindset, but IMO it's a really dangerous mindset when people start injecting it into every other multiplayer game. That's why making sacrifice the main esport mode would be a really risky gamble for QC, it's not as fun to spectate as duel, the team-based gameplay revolves around the mode instead of personal gunplay which is a conflicting design decision to me. However because mass audience likes team-based games, Bethesda and Id kinda had to follow the trend.

A huge number of popular noob friendly multiplayer games = a huge number of players that don't mind switching games when they want to, because why learn when you can kick ass in other games right? Sadly those people will never see the satisfaction in getting good and kicking ass with their experience :salute: I quit Overwatch solely because of that reason, the game feels weirdly unsatisfying whether I win or lose, victories don't bring the same impact as placing 1st in Quake Champions.

Another reason is, IMO, multiplayer FPS devs these days rely too much on other gimmicks more than the core aspect - shooting. I went to my aunt's house several weeks ago, saw cousin playing Infinite Warfare, sat down with him a bit and he showed me a bunch of crap that I couldn't comprehend, gun variants that are seperated by colors like borderlands, a robotic quartermaster that's supposed to delivers lootboxes? I dunno, he gave me the controller and I immediately went into a game without looking at those loadouts, I played like crap cuz I'm used to kbm and I killed some people, yay, game wasn't anything spectacular but that was pretty fun, cuz killing people online is always fun right? I finished match, and he was like "wait lemme check these gun variants, DUDE YOU UNLOCKED AN EPIC VARIANT THAT'S BADASS". Okay I guess, I looked at that "variant", apparently it allows the shotgun to reload faster if there's no ammo in the mag left, he tried out camos for it, apparently got some "crafting materials" too. At that point, I realized he spent more time in the menu that me in a match.

I couldn't help but thinking that the dev made a really unimpressive game that they had to shove so many unnecessary crap into it so it would appear to be a big, complex "AAA" title that everyone would praise how deep it is. I thought IW's gunplay was decent, but nothing really stood out from the last COD I played which was black ops 2 except that you can wallrun. You can tell that it's a game with high production value, however I wonder how much of those production value went into the game's core aspect and how much was put into cosmetics, customizations, progression system, gun variants and things like that. My cousin was ecstatic about those things instead of shooting people, and it won't be a suprise if a huge audience of multiplayer FPS these days is into that aspect too. Quake Champions has cosmetic and lootbox similar to Overwatch, it has challenges that can give you favor and that's it. I like playing dress up for champions but I like fragging more and I can feel that most of the dev's effort goes into shooting first. I can imagine a lot of people shitting on AFPS because "THERE'S NO PROGRESSION BAR" as if they're treating FPS like some kinds of RPG where you get bigger and badder every time you level up, and that is awfully depressing.

Anyway, I think QC will find its own audience. It's champion concept makes the game feel fresh without getting into the way of classic gunplay too much, I mainly play Doom Slayer becuz I like his double jump rather than his active ability. It's still an arena FPS first and foremost and who knows, if Bethesda takes care of it well (which I doubt cuz their marketing for Doom was abysmal and simply missed the point of the game) maybe it will get a decent playerbase, not as big as other multiplayer behemoths but still find decent success. I believe there are a lot of people out there still looking for a game like QC (well I'm one of them :lol: and apparently 20k ish owners on Steam too), people who are tired of Overwatch and those team-based games so maybe they will find fresh air from QC. I think veterans should at least give it a try with an open mindset too, I mean, more noobs to frag, why not? That's my speculation at the moment. Even if it won't last long, I'm still glad to be a part of it, wish I had gotten into Quake sooner :salute:

On an unrelated subject, I downloaded Quake Live last night (never bought it but it allowed me to download from store page for some reasons), tried some bot matches because couldn't find any server with less than 200 ping since I'm in Asia. Gotta say it was really fun, movement feels more fluid than QC (QC has this strange acceleration when you strafe), and QL's railgun has this punchy "PEW" that makes it sound like a crossbow. That plasma gun is way better than nailgun too, 10/10 :greatjob:

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So I found myself a copy of the complete champion pack version of this game for $10 and man, I'm having a blast!

I guess maybe there used to be really bad netcode issues or whatever but I've never experienced any issues in duel mode, which is the primary mode that I play.

The other modes (deathmatch etc) where you have like 5v5 maps have some problems like people sometimes mini-teleport or whatever. I have no idea if that's an issue with my internet (which has repeatedly proven to be a third world dial up tier piece of shit scam) or the netcode but it's not really game breaking for me, especially considering the game's still in early access.

I've never played any of the prior quake games so I can't compare to those but man this game is such a welcome departure from the standard shooters that are common today (csgo, overwatch, cod, etc). I guess I understand how some old school quake vets don't like some changes or whatever but at least there is now a modern game that has rocket jumping, bunnyhopping, wonky-ass physics, and other mechanics that make these games lots of fun.

I wish people wouldn't hate on this game so much because the population is at serious risk of collapsing and I don't think it's a good idea to scare potential newcomers away. I did get curbstomped in the first 5 or so matches I played but once I started getting the hang of things, which didn't take long at all, I started getting frags and winning some matches. Most importantly, I'm having way more fun in this than any other modern shooter. Best $10 I spent on a game in a long time.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I've never played any of the prior quake games
Turbolol. Just know that your statement completely invalidates any post you could make in this thread.

Whatever man. I like the game and I hope it does well.

You have fun being a grumpy old faggot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom