Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pyre - Supergiant Games is at it again

A user named cat

I remember when people claimed Bastion was essentially a PC version of Secret of Mana with a narrator. Then I played it for a few hours and frowned so hard, I wanted to murder the internet. Game was seriously awful. Nothing but a corridor simulator with piss boring combat and railroaded levels.

This looks even more stupid and gimmicky. If you want a sports game then... play a sports game or blitzball in FF X?

Got bored and left

Huh, it really does look gimmicky as hell. I'm honestly at a loss about what to think of this, it's this odd.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The mixing of race...eeee, genres has to stop! Make RPGs pure again!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
No, Supergiant games are offensive as games, not just as action RPGs, retardo land is the proper forum

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Delicious edge, mmm!

7670.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Codex still considers Battletech an RPG, despite the devs stating that its not, pyre is hardly the biggest offender if it stays here.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Battletech at least looks like it could be good, Pyre on the other hard looks like Final Fantasy X's retarded cousin

A user named cat

Nothing but a corridor simulator with piss boring combat and railroaded levels.
Just like Secret of Mana :troll:
Secret of Mana had corridors? Railroading? What? Not that I recall aside from maybe the beginning until it opened up. Combat was simple and worked fine, basically Zelda with a wait timer and spells. Game had great music, a colorful world, lots to explore, challenge and plenty of that good old SNES charm. Bastion was tedious, lifeless, hipster and click mashy indie bundle fodder. Every area felt the same as they were all hallways and there was no fun to be found anywhere. The very definition of banal shit boring.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Bastion had great music, a colorful world, challenges and plenty of charm. Each weapon felt unique and played differently, allowing for customizing your playstyle. The story and setting were interesting without loads of exposition, the final third offered a few cool choices. It was a lot of fun.
The very definition of a cool game I enjoy playing every once in a while.

ragnor

Educated
When i see these kind of sharp comments i can't help but wonder if i played the same game you guys played. Bastion had great music and art, Narrator was brilliant, game had an intesting story and the ending was simply beautiful. I couldn't played Transistor though, it gave an error and didn't start. I don't know why, i probably will gave it an another chance soon.

For Pyre trailer was enough for me to be hyped. After watching the gameplay video i'm sure i'll love this game too. Combat or the ball game stuff was different and i can't say i'm excited about it. Especially i'll most probably suck at it. Also sound effects they use instead of voice over wasn't working for me, it felt weird. I'm not sure i like the backgrounds which the wagon travels around. Still there is an interesting world to discover and great characters to get to know and share an adventure. Somedays you look for great combat, somedays you just look for this.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
When i see these kind of sharp comments i can't help but wonder if i played the same game you guys played. Bastion had great music and art, Narrator was brilliant, game had an intesting story and the ending was simply beautiful.
You've produced five reasons for your favorable opinion of Bastion, and none of them relate to gameplay. :rpgcodex:

Personally, I thought Bastion was alright for the type of game it is, but I'm flabbergasted to see it frequently described as an RPG, when it barely has anything that even qualifies as "RPG elements".

ragnor

Educated
When i see these kind of sharp comments i can't help but wonder if i played the same game you guys played. Bastion had great music and art, Narrator was brilliant, game had an intesting story and the ending was simply beautiful.
You've produced five reasons for your favorable opinion of Bastion, and none of them relate to gameplay. :rpgcodex:

Personally, I thought Bastion was alright for the type of game it is, but I'm flabbergasted to see it frequently described as an RPG, when it barely has anything that even qualifies as "RPG elements".

I can describe the gameplay part wtih one word, light. I like the some parts of it such as smashing things was helluva fun and hate some parts but as a whole i think it was quite forgettable. I wouldn't care any other game with the same gameplay. What made an impact on me wasn't the gameplay but the other things i talked about earlier.

I can understand why you don't like it being counted as an RPG but i think game has enough qualities to be counted as an RPG. It has character development, nice story, some npcs and better you have to make some choices which matters for the game albeit very few. I think there is enough room for light action rpgs, jprgs, weird experimental kinda things and the "true" rpgs. As long as one kind doesn't dominates the whole genre it is healthier that way. Though in the years of decline it was the case and we all suffer for it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Codex still considers Battletech an RPG, despite the devs stating that its not, pyre is hardly the biggest offender if it stays here.
Yea, despite the fact it in no way is an RPG it still resides in GRPG. I feel like the subforums are actually more akin to a caste system. GRPG being the highest caste, and all others jockeying for position below with the poor little JRPG forum getting its face ground into the dirt at the bottom.

Where it belongs.

Battletech should be in the strategy/sim section, but a lot of people are excited about it which means it must be in GRPG.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Yea, despite the fact it in no way is an RPG it still resides in GRPG. I feel like the subforums are actually more akin to a caste system. GRPG being the highest caste, and all others jockeying for position below with the poor little JRPG forum getting its face ground into the dirt at the bottom.

Where it belongs.

Battletech should be in the strategy/sim section, but a lot of people are excited about it which means it must be in GRPG.

I agree. I think they even post news about it on the front page, all while skipping actual important crpg news. I think they post news about that non-rpg dungeon crawler too. RPGWatch should change their name to RPG Hippies because they just post about anything and have since Bioshock. But this site is taking the same road. Except they post about hipster shit instead of rpgs. I'm surprised this fucking fake no content hipster game didn't get a front page sticky.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I backed Battletech and like strategy games, and it's fine that the codex posts news about it. I just think it's odd that a self-described strategy game is in the GRPG forum.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Bastion had nice music and okay-ish art.
The narrator was so-so, felt interesting at first, but ended up being distracting as fuck.

The gameplay was shallow as fuck, and iirc the controls were rather unresponsive. I picked it up on sale, though, so I haven't lost much.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I backed Battletech and like strategy games, and it's fine that the codex posts news about it. I just think it's odd that a self-described strategy game is in the GRPG forum.

I prefer to get strategy game news from tacticular cancer. Why have that site if the regular rpgcodex site posts strategy game news. And the Dark Soul's non-rpg from HBS should receive no coverage from this site at all. HBS purposefully made that game not an rpg when they 100% could have made it an rpg so fuck them.

---

Arcane
I don't really like the "combat" system (for what i undersood, of course there may be more interesting mechanics in the final version), and especially the art style adopted during the "fight". I hope that it will change a lot before the release.
I'm ok with the "Disney vibe".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom