Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So 20k people supported this. This makes 165$ per person.

Double Fine Adventure had... 87k people backing. Making 38$ per person.

Yeah... this is going FINE. It's not going to fail... so many people believe Tim. Yeah.
It's not just fine, it's double fine.
badumm, tssss

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
YEP! NO SIREE! TIM HASN'T GOT BAD PR! IT'S JUST THOSE DAMN GATORS!
58eIdbW.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
58eIdbW.png
Why are you bumbling around like an idiot? Everybody knows that Tim got bad PR, that's why there are less supporters for this. On the positive side, these people spent more, plus you got the investors.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the reason the average pledge per person is that high is because of the investors.

TOTAL RAISED
$3,357K
INVESTMENTS
$1,705K
REWARDS
$1,652K

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
58eIdbW.png
Why are you bumbling around like an idiot? Everybody knows that Tim got bad PR, that's why there are less supporters for this. On the positive side, these people spent more, plus you got the investors.

You change your opinion very quickly.

There are no masses of people outside of the Codex who are butthurt about Tim. People here think that the Codex's opinion = mainstream opninion, but this is not the case.
Just like how people buy the games of EA/Activision/Ubisoft, after releasing unplayable games. Tim gathered some bad PR, but the team still releases fun games.
Everybody knows that Tim got bad PR

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So that $3.3M is total amount raised, INCLUDING investments? :lol:

Yeah, good luck with making 3d action with it, when that wasn't even enough to finish 2d point and click game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So that $3.3M is total amount raised, INCLUDING investments? :lol:

Nah, it's not like that. There are Fig investors and additional external investors they already have lined up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

You change your opinion very quickly.

There are no masses of people outside of the Codex who are butthurt about Tim. People here think that the Codex's opinion = mainstream opninion, but this is not the case.
Just like how people buy the games of EA/Activision/Ubisoft, after releasing unplayable games. Tim gathered some bad PR, but the team still releases fun games.
Everybody knows that Tim got bad PR
They got bad PR, which resulted in lower backer number, but people overestimate the ammount of butthurt there is against them.

buzz

Arcane
Bard's Tale IV also got half the number of backers compared to Wasteland 2 and Torment, and that one was using the good ol' kickstarter site and they didn't have any massive scandals surrounding them or anything. And Massive Chalice had under 40k too and that was also before the scandals/splitting Broken Age in two parts and so on.

So the number of backers is not a clear correlation for bad PR hurting the campagin. There's other things there, like the relatively expensive tier for getting the game itself at 40 bucks (as opposed to the standard 20/25 on typical KS campaigns), the new website which doesn't have the renown of kickstarter and the fact that it targets a more specific and perhaps smaller niche (fans of Psychonauts) rather than pander to fans of adventure games or Lucas Arts games. Certainly the bad PR didn't help, but there's more at work there.

edit: If bad PR mattered that much, then surely Star Citizen would've stopped being funded a long time ago. Yet they're at 105 million dollars and 1 million and 150 thousand backers.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bard's Tale IV also got half the number of backers compared to Wasteland 2 and Torment, and that one was using the good ol' kickstarter site and they didn't have any massive scandals surrounding them or anything. And Massive Chalice had under 40k too and that was also before the scandals/splitting Broken Age in two parts and so on.
Isometric storyfag RPG audience>Isometric tactical RPG audience > blobber audience
Hipster platforming audience > Adventure gamming audience
Someone could argue that Fargo couldn't milk a stone with Bard's Tale 4 and to make matters worse the BT 4 KS happened on the middle of E3 while Tim is pitching the sequel to his most successful game.

Mustawd

Most people here and in the gaming world don't really understand how investing works overall. They think it's just magic.

Really...at the end of the day people who normally back Kickstarter and who back Fig are kind of winning out if you ask me. With Kickstarter the top goal is to fund the project with a promise that the game will be good and that you'll actually receive your Kickstarter rewards.

With Fig it's really the same overall. But there's a big off chance that you'll get your investment back with profits. Even if the chances of ROI are slim, they actually exist with Fig. with Kickstarter there is no such thing. So from an investing point of view, Kickstarter represents a bell curve with a long tail on the down side and no upside. Fig is the same curve, but added a slim tail on the upside.

All in all...if you're willing to pledge on Kickstarter, it'd be dumb not to invest in Fig. Even the shady stuff about extending donation timeframes actually benefits both parties as it makes the ROI scenario a bit more viable.

Just keep in mind that this is still VC territory, and any ROI is icing on the cake to be honest. That's how VC works. High risk high reward. The only issue is that many would be backers don't understand any of these concepts.

Personally, I hope this catches on. I just wish they'd stop being so retarded about this and run a professional campaign with a Big name a la Kickstarter.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Really...at the end of the day people who normally back Kickstarter and who back Fig are kind of winning out if you ask me. With Kickstarter the top goal is to fund the project with a promise that the game will be good and that you'll actually receive your Kickstarter rewards.

With Fig it's really the same overall. But there's a big off chance that you'll get your investment back with profits. Even if the chances of ROI are slim, they actually exist with Fig. with Kickstarter there is no such thing. So from an investing point of view, Kickstarter represents a bell curve with a long tail on the down side and no upside. Fig is the same curve, but added a slim tail on the upside.

All in all...if you're willing to pledge on Kickstarter, it'd be dumb not to invest in Fig. Even the shady stuff about extending donation timeframes actually benefits both parties as it makes the ROI scenario a bit more viable.

https://help.fig.co/hc/en-us/articles/215035338-What-are-accredited-and-unaccredited-investors- said:
Generally speaking, for an individual to qualify as an accredited investor, you must have a net worth of at least $1 million (excluding your primary residence) or have an income of at least $200,000 each year for the last two years or a combined income with your spouse of at least $300,000 each year for the last two years and have a reasonable expectation of earning the same amount this year. For the full definition, you can visit the Securities and Exchange Commission’s site.

I'm sure that your average kickstarter backer who just wants to play a Double Fine game and sees an ROI as a cherry on top is an invidual worth > $1M or earning > $200K pa. But wait! Unaccredited investers can reserve shares and invest as soon as the JOBS act catches up. All they'll need to part with is.... a minimum of $500. You know, just like your normal kickstarter backer would.

https://www.fig.co/investors/unaccredited_investor_profile/new?campaign_id=psychonauts-2 said:
We are taking reservations for investments of $500 up to $10,000 from unaccredited investors. Those who reserve during the campaign will be contacted to finalize their investment after the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) qualifies this offering, which we hope to occur in the first quarter of 2016. At this time, we plan to hold reservations up to $1,500,000 from unaccredited investors, so you may not be able to invest the full amount of your reservation. Also, we reserve the right to accept or reject all reservations in whole or in part.

Before proceeding, please review the Regulation A investment materials on file with the SEC.

According to U.S. securities laws, an unaccredited investor may not invest more than: (a) 10% of the greater of annual income or net worth (for natural persons); or (b) 10% of the greater of annual revenue or net assets at most recently completed fiscal year end (for entities). If you want the specifics, you can reference 251(d)(2)(i)(C) of Regulation A for more information.

Mustawd

But wait! Unaccredited investers can reserve shares and invest as soon

You make it sound like people pledging more than $500 on kickstarter is an anomaly...

Pillars of Eternity had 367 backers at the $500 level. That's not even counting any backers over $500.

But really, you do understand the intent of Fig is to open it up in a similar way to Kickstarter right? So stop trying to nitpick little details when we both know that'll be the end result. And that's what my comment was intended to address.

Duraframe300

Arcane
But wait! Unaccredited investers can reserve shares and invest as soon

You make it sound like people pledging more than $500 on kickstarter is an anomaly...

Pillars of Eternity had 367 backers at the $500 level. That's not even counting any backers over $500.

But really, you do understand the intent of Fig is to open it up in a similar way to Kickstarter right? So stop trying to nitpick little details when we both know that'll be the end result. And that's what my comment was intended to address.

I dunno, less than 1% of all backers seems like its kind of an anomaly and not your *normal* backer but I dunno.

Whats exactly your example here?

Mustawd

Ha good point. Still, the $500 thing is temporary until SEC approves the filing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Most people here and in the gaming world don't really understand how investing works overall. They think it's just magic.

Explaining a business to gamers is like explaining smartphone to a caveman. You're wasting your breath.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Explaining a business to gamers is like explaining smartphone to a caveman. You're wasting your breath.
Giving 500$ to a guy with a history of money mismanagement on a vague promise of maybe making it back in 3 years If and only if everything is going to go increadibly well for them is not business, its just being retarded.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Giving 500$ to a guy with a history of money mismanagement on a vague promise of maybe making it back in 3 years If and only if everything is going to go increadibly well for them is not business, its just being retarded.

I'd rather spend it on the lottery, Better return on investment, better odds of success and I know my money will go to a slightly less smug asshole.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Meanwhile, people have been giving 10,000$ pledges on Kickstarter for getting an NPC named after them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom