Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I said "lately", not "from Day 1 of Double Fine". I love Psychonauts and enjoyed Costume Quest enough to do a 100% complete run of it. It's their most recent titles (Broken Age and onwards) that don't interest me, but it doesn't matter how many awesome titles they've made, if they're shit with money they're not getting any of mine until the product is out the door.

Beyond that, we're left with a "pessimist vs optimist" argument here which won't be solved until we see how it ends. Just keep in mind that I don't want to see this fail - everything just points to it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gotta love the morons who keep repeating the word SCAM, while being unable to actually explain who Schaffer scammed, or in what way he will scam people with Fig and Psychonauts 2.

Or, at best, they'll link you to 35-minute video by some mongrel that "explains it all", because they're unable to formulate an original thought of their own, without hearing it first on YouTube. All while, of course, proclaiming their intellectual superiority over 99% of population.

You couldn't make this shit up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, YouTube RealTalkers(tm) are a thing now.

All I know is I'm kind of glad this is doing well on Fig because it means a more reputable dev could do even better.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, YouTube RealTalkers(tm) are a thing now.

All I know is I'm kind of glad this is doing well on Fig because it means a more reputable dev could do even better.

My thoughts exactly. I don't care much for Psychonauts 2, but Figs need to do well, because if nothing else, its a potential for Obsidian and InExile to get more funding.

I pledged. I don't expect it to be delivered on time or on budget (has ANY DF game stuck to its initial budget? Serious question.), and I wouldn't be surprised to see it split into episodes (although I pray it won't be), but some of you guys need to take off your tinfoil hats. Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance/incompetence.

I also recognize that as a first worlder I give less of a shit about $40 (that's like an hour of my day, no big deal), and if I lived elsewhere I would have a lot more riding on it.

KWANISTANIAN PRIVILEGE BITCHES!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
20,000 suckers.

That figure in the red dress - daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Ivan

Arcane
anna kipnis, join the fapclub
annakipnis.jpg

buzz

Arcane
My biggest problem with Double Fine is not the scam allegations or the SJWness or whatever. It's the "low-hanging fruit" attitude they've been adopting lately.

People like me loved Tim and his games because each time he could come up with something new and original. Some genre-mesh, or unique and distinct visuals or off-the-wall new settings. That was the edge of Double Fine and Lucas Arts beforehand.

And now they're just remastering Tim's old games and making sequels. Meanwhile they barely advertise their other smaller projects, stop funding them and ignore all the Amnesia Fornite projects they've came up with. And many of those projects were disappointingly unoriginal, like Dear Leader which is so similar to Papers Please it's not even funny.

Look at the other game they have planned for 2016, Headlander:

I mean, it looks fun and somewhat neat and it seems like you can use the head to take over various bodies but ... disco retro shit? How many games going with that visual style we have by now? Action platformer with a gimmick for the billionth time? What's next, a slow-moving platformer where a tiny character with a big head shifts between the shadow world and the normal world? Another rock-n-roll wankfest? Another metroidvania with cutesy animals?

Maybe it's because we have so many hipstery indie games out there that the output Double Fine does nowadays seems so rehashed and down with the trends, rather than consciously counter-cultural and unique.

Same with other people previously known for their quickiness and originality. How many times will American McGee quote himself and re-do the same "fairy tales GONE WRONG!" crap? Scrapland was great, Bad Day LA was an awful mess but at least it was something. Any chance that Edmund McMillen would do something else than re-release Super Meat Boy and Binding of Issac for the billionth fucking time?

I understand that they grew older and need to keep their companies afloat and make money with safe-sales, but I'm just disappointed at how it turned out for them. It's almost 4 years since the kickstarter craze started and I thought we'd grow out of the "resurrect old franchises and milk them to death" phase by now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Gotta love the morons who keep repeating the word SCAM, while being unable to actually explain who Schaffer scammed, or in what way he will scam people with Fig and Psychonauts 2.

Or, at best, they'll link you to 35-minute video by some mongrel that "explains it all", because they're unable to formulate an original thought of their own, without hearing it first on YouTube. All while, of course, proclaiming their intellectual superiority over 99% of population.

Is "ad hominem" the best you can do? When you can't attack the argument, attack the person making it?

You clearly haven't even watched the videos, they spell it out clearly if you take the time.

The points you should be keeping an eye out for in the videos:

# When it comes to the investment part of Fig (and this applies especially to the uncredited investors) the Return of Interest ratio (ROI) on...say $500, is 0% for the next three years. Fig investors get paid last (after all other costs and cuts are added in) and at least one of the videos calculates how many copies the game needs to sell before Fig investors just manage to break even. That sales number is something the original game could NOT achieve during retail, but keeping in mind that Psychonauts has been sold in more bundles and discounts than you can shake a Jew at, and no actual revenue figures in dollars have been made public...the ROI ratio is likely to remain 0% for longer than 3 years. ANYONE with a background in finanical investment will laugh at you for investing in that.

# Another video took the time to read all the fine print over at Fig's website. You'll see at least one statement in there where Fig reserves the right NOT to pay Fig investors anything in return on their investment, for *reasons*. That same video also goes in-depth into the corporate structure of Fig, which goes a long way towards showing that it's sole purpose is to take the money and run. You want to recoup your losses via lawsuit a few years down the line? Good luck.

# Fig is insolvent as of right now. It has been in that state for months. It's only being propped up by its parent company, and any money that comes into Fig is channeled into another company, so there won't be a single dime in Fig when it goes bust.

In addition, dismissing an opinion because it's made by someone that lacks the proper professional background to reach the conclusion on his own (not to mention being located in another country that has different laws) and instead needs to rely on secondary sources? NOW who's being the moron?

In conclusion, Fig hasn't scammed anyone YET, but everything points to that being the case a few years down the line.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Is "ad hominem" the best you can do? When you can't attack the argument, attack the person making it?

You clearly haven't even watched the videos, they spell it out clearly if you take the time.

The points you should be keeping an eye out for in the videos:

# When it comes to the investment part of Fig (and this applies especially to the uncredited investors) the Return of Interest ratio (ROI) on...say $500, is 0% for the next three years. Fig investors get paid last (after all other costs and cuts are added in) and at least one of the videos calculates how many copies the game needs to sell before Fig investors just manage to break even. That sales number is something the original game could NOT achieve during retail, but keeping in mind that Psychonauts has been sold in more bundles and discounts than you can shake a Jew at, and no actual revenue figures in dollars have been made public...the ROI ratio is likely to remain 0% for longer than 3 years. ANYONE with a background in finanical investment will laugh at you for investing in that.

# Another video took the time to read all the fine print over at Fig's website. You'll see at least one statement in there where Fig reserves the right NOT to pay Fig investors anything in return on their investment, for *reasons*. That same video also goes in-depth into the corporate structure of Fig, which goes a long way towards showing that it's sole purpose is to take the money and run. You want to recoup your losses via lawsuit a few years down the line? Good luck.

# Fig is insolvent as of right now. It has been in that state for months. It's only being propped up by its parent company, and any money that comes into Fig is channeled into another company, so there won't be a single dime in Fig when it goes bust.

In addition, dismissing an opinion because it's made by someone that lacks the proper professional background to reach the conclusion on his own (not to mention being located in another country that has different laws) and instead needs to rely on secondary sources? NOW who's being the moron?

In conclusion, Fig hasn't scammed anyone YET, but everything points to that being the case a few years down the line.
The question, as always, is that why would Fargo, Feargous and Tim would commit professional suicide with this scam?

Also, everything you wrote is legal and it works similarly in big business. Return is paid from the profit (after you deduct the costs from your income) and I assume everybody who invested knows that they won't get any return for at least 3 years, until the game is finished (duhh).

And in Fig's site there is an estimate that how many returns you get after a given ammount of sale. Also, as you said, everything is there in the fine print.

I assume everybody who invested in this knows that this is risky (as any investment) and they knew well what they are doing. And if someone is stupid enough to invest into a business they don't know shit about, well they deserve it.

The only shady thing you wrote is this:
Fig reserves the right NOT to pay Fig investors anything in return on their investment, for *reasons*
But I haven't seen the video about this, so I can't believe this until I do.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The queastion, as always, is that why would Fargo, Feargous and Tim would commit professional suicide with this scam?

Were I to hazard a guess..."plausible deniability". They're on the board as advisors and "support" Fig, they're not actually running it themselves.

If it goes tits up, they would all in a position to feign claim ignorance and continue as if nothing had happened.

You might as well ask why Randy Pitchford did the shit he did over at Gearbox, knowing that it would eventually be found out with Sega breathing down his neck. He did, they found out, the million-dollar lawsuit is still on-going, last time I checked.

But my guess is based on what little information is available - there is probably more to this that none of us know.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The queastion, as always, is that why would Fargo, Feargous and Tim would commit professional suicide with this scam?

Were I to hazard a guess..."plausible deniability". They're on the board as advisors and "support" Fig, they're not actually running it themselves.
Well, I don't know.... even if they denied their involvement in this, they would risk the future of their company if people believed that they had a hand in this. And they would think that. And seeing that thow much the struggle to keep their business going, I doubt they would risk that.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
So 20k people supported this. This makes 165$ per person.

Double Fine Adventure had... 87k people backing. Making 38$ per person.

Yeah... this is going FINE. It's not going to fail... so many people believe Tim. Yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom