Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

sullynathan

Arcane
You don't pay significantly more for console games, unless you're someone who only wants to buy games digitally which you don't have to for console

Doubt many codexers are paying or even playing multiplayer on a console either

CreamyBlood

Arcane
What the fuck does 'boost' mean? I'm old. Tell me this shit. The scene[s) in the movie theatre look cool. I wish this game worked with a keyboard and mouse, I'd like to play it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What the fuck does 'boost' mean? I'm old. Tell me this shit. The scene[s) in the movie theatre look cool. I wish this game worked with a keyboard and mouse, I'd like to play it.

Sony made an updated PS4, and the games that target the original PS4 run against a downclocked CPU and GPU that roughly correspond to the power of the original PS4.

"Boost" just takes that downclock out of the equation so it runs however well its programmed to run on the faster hardware.
It depends on the game, but some - particularly japanese developed ones - respond very badly to the hardware becoming faster, and this can introduce all kinds of weird timing issues that can result in crashes and other things.

GrainWetski

Arcane
You don't pay significantly more for console games, unless you're someone who only wants to buy games digitally which you don't have to for console

To take a recent release, Resident Evil 7 is 12€(18€ if you go digital) more on PS4 than on Steam.

It adds up very quickly even if you don't take sales/bundles into account.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

and on console you still have the physical disc, while PC is full steam drm, meaning you have to download 60gb's because there is no install discs no more.

Console today is far more user friendly if you want to play a single player game and you don't need to be connected to the internet compared to PC

GrainWetski

Arcane

J1M

Arcane
On console the hardware maker is taking $10 a copy.

Also, steam prices are set by the publisher, with an incentive to leave regular price higher so the opt-in sales look better.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Also, steam prices are set by the publisher, with an incentive to leave regular price higher so the opt-in sales look better.
30% is more than $10 for a $60 game.

Most publishers are probably contractually obligated not to undercut B&M stores with digital sales for at least some period of time, but I don't know how that works with steam vs console.

J1M

Arcane

30% is more than $10 for a $60 game.

Most publishers are probably contractually obligated not to undercut B&M stores with digital sales for at least some period of time, but I don't know how that works with steam vs console.
$10 to Microsoft/Sony.
The retail store also gets a cut.
Then the publisher.
Then the developer's CEO.
Then the workers get laid off.

:philosoraptor:

Drew

Savant

and on console you still have the physical disc, while PC is full steam drm, meaning you have to download 60gb's because there is no install discs no more.
Console today is far more user friendly if you want to play a single player game and you don't need to be connected to the internet compared to PC

As if, it's the same download shit on console, except you're also fucked if your disc becomes lost/damaged.

sullynathan

Arcane
As if, it's the same download shit on console, except you're also fucked if your disc becomes lost/damaged.
You can play console games without the patches and since both PS4 & Xbox One use Blu Ray, the only way your disc will be damaged is intentional.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

on steam you are FORCED to download newest updates, on consoles you are not

Walden

Savant
You can play console games without the patches and since both PS4 & Xbox One use Blu Ray, the only way your disc will be damaged is intentional.
Sure, the opportunity to play a broken and bugged beyond immagination game is a great deal. Plus, games on console do cost more than the pc counterparts. On d1 there's a difference between 10 to 40 euros/dollars, and in the long term the sales are extremely cheaper on pc.
And JC, I use GOG the most, but you can play Steam games offline too. If you live in a cave without internet to download games and patches buy a Nintendo console, not that shitstation.

You can stop them, on GOG you can reroll to the version you prefer. What are talking about?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Sure, the opportunity to play a broken and bugged beyond immagination game is a great deal. Plus, games on console do cost more than the pc counterparts. On d1 there's a difference between 10 to 40 euros/dollars, and in the long term the sales are extremely cheaper on pc.
And JC, I use GOG the most, but you can play Steam games offline too. If you live in a cave without internet to download games and patches buy a Nintendo console, not that shitstation.

You can stop them, on GOG you can reroll to the version you prefer. What are talking about?

no you cannot stop them anymore on steam, they disabled this option.

Nice strawman argument bringing up GOG to the discusion which mainly has old games which we were not talking about

Walden

Savant

no you cannot stop them anymore on steam, they disabled this option.

Nice strawman argument bringing up GOG to the discusion which mainly has old games which we were not talking about
I don't usually play shit games, but when I do i play them on Steam.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...nd-xbox-one-has-become-a-canyon/#7a1171ba79c1
C5WV-jIUYAE2WeC.jpg

Ash

Arcane
I associate the Xbox brand with pure cancer. everything was fine in both the console and PC gaming world until M$ switched sides and stuck their grubby hands in. Good to see it getting slaughtered by the PS4 in sales, exclusives etc, and I hope the gap further widens.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Sony is already preparing to showcase Playstation 5 during the E3 2017 event that will be held in June 2017 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

According to them, the PlayStation 4 successor will come with some impressive specifications and features.

First of all, some rumors are suggesting that the GTA 6 will be actually one of the first games that will be released for the PlayStation 5. The GTA 6 is expected to be released sometime in 2020, which means that the PlayStation 5 could hit the stores sometime in 2019.

According to reports, the PlayStation 5 will also come with a VR headset, as the PlayStation 4 had a real success in delivering VR experiences. In fact, there will be two variants of the PlayStation 5, each of them having a bit different specifications (not major ones).

https://www.tnhonline.com/2017/04/06/playstation-5-released-two-models-vr-headset/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom