Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

The Decline

Arcane
Should have called it the Super PS4.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
310watt,,,,,, old ps4 is 150 watt........ this new amd cpu and gpu sure use a lot of power, wouldnt be surprised if the real usage will be 500watt because amd stuff overdraws, would be funny if the new ps4s started to blow up :positive:

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
hqdefault.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:lol: PS4 Neo not having 4K bluray even if the Shitbox S does? Sony just wants to fuck their fans:mixedemotions:
By the time 4K media will be a widely used format, the new console generation will arrive. Nobody cares about 4K, apart from fanboys who want to justify buying a shitty Xbone.

And of course there is the mandatory The Xbox is a media machine, and the PS4 is a gaming console argument. The PS3 was the first console to have Blu-ray, and it didn't save it against the Xbox360 which was a gaming console first.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
:lol: PS4 Neo not having 4K bluray even if the Shitbox S does? Sony just wants to fuck their fans:mixedemotions:
By the time 4K media will be a widely used format, the new console generation will arrive. Nobody cares about 4K, apart from fanboys who want to justify buying a shitty Xbone.

Sony also made it clear Pro isn't supposed to be a "bridging console". Of course, as usual Pro's entire existence will depend on how well game developers actually support it in practice because we had HDR since, what, forever on PC and it sure as hell isn't any sort of a system seller. It seems like a very weird thing to make one of four pillars to sell the new model on. I'd argue points they used are really par for the course these days, VR notwithstanding. Like you said 4k is largely a gimmick, only I'd argue it's Sony trying to swindle people into buying 4k TVs. I guess it's a big deal for consoles still generally comfortable with 720p. :|

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
310 Watts on a console :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The original PS3 had more than this IIRC.

The power supply can operate on both 60 Hz and 50 Hz power grids. It uses a standard IEC 60320 C14 (IEC 60320 C8 for the PS3 slim) connector and a C13 (C7 for the PS3 slim) power cord appropriate for the region it is being used in. The power supply on the "fat" model is 380 W. This was reduced to 250 W in the 120 GB "Slim" model. PS3 Slim models have labels indicating localized input requirements for power (110 V 60 Hz for North American and Japanese models and 220-240 V 50 Hz for European and Australian models), however teardowns have revealed the slim power supplies are still universal.[32]

Soulcucker

Savant
Not in practice. Realistically ~3.5Tflops (around a 770GTX) is needed for stable 60fps at 1080p in modern games, having power beyond that allows for spatial AA to be implemented. This gen was underpowered from the get go, ~3Tflops and CPU cores far more powerful than AMD Jaguars should have been the target for this gen. Granted MS's and Sony's options were limited by AMD not having any other design available for 2013 and because no 20nm node was available for high power parts.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
I'd like to first get current gen games (and movies) that look like they're 1080p. It's pretty pointless to go 4k if you're not even using the potential of 1080p yet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PS4 & Xbox Juan already do 1080p 60
With a lot of sacrifices in view range, texture quality, vegetation density, shadows, etc.

I guess one day consolefags will learn there's more to grafics than the number of pixels on the screen, but that's not today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom