Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yeah, constantly. Like every 7-8 years outside of hardware failure.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Plenty of people are happy to drop $500 on a new phone every year, so I don't see why that won't work for consoles as well. MS just needs to make sure that compatibility is good enough that you can skip a cycle or two if you don't want to spend the money, and still be able to play most games.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Well, actually the opposite. Less time required spent rewriting various things for pc and allowing more time to focus on things like UI, already most pc multi-platform pc games are based from the Xbox One version.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yeah, constantly. Like every 7-8 years outside of hardware failure.

Implying you could run twicher 3 on 2008 gpu like radeon 4850 :roll:
Yeah, I definitely talked about running Shitter 3 on a 4850.

What's the next requirement to imply you need to upgrade every 6 months? Needing to run every game at 144 FPS maxed out?
:edgy:
Very edgy.

You need to upgrade from your 4850 from 2008 to play one of the most demanding games you can think of in 2016. It's almost like that's exactly what I said in the first place.

Maybe it will finally kill the concept of 'console' and we will finally stick with one ultimate gaming platform to play them all... but it would be too pretty to come true.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hummm... if I'm a playstation owner and I need to buy a new upgraded playstation every year... what is the point of owning a console again? Hmmmm... if all games need to be compatible with old console versions, what is the point of buying a new console again? I don't think developers are going to release multiple versions of their games with more polygons and different textures just for the few people that are going to update to have significant better graphics. The versions for the upgraded consoles are going to be exactly like the versions for the old consoles just with some crappy, barely relevant effects thrown over it to justify the upgraded console. This looks more like Sony trying to squeeze some money from a few retards with more money than good sense than to be something relevant.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-26-ps4-passes-40m-sales-milestone

PS4 passes 40m sales milestone

PlayStation 4 has now sold more than 40m units worldwide.

jpg

The console passed the 40m milestone this week, Sony reported today. It remains the fastest-selling PlayStation in the company's history.

Software-wise, 270.9m PS4 games have now been sold or digitally downloaded.

PS4 pushed past the 30m sales mark last November.

For this financial year, ending next March, the company expects to shift another 20m units - even more than in the financial year just ended.

"We are truly grateful for the enormous support from our fans and partners across the globe, which helped us achieve this significant milestone in such a short span of time," PlayStation boss Andrew House said.

"We will strive to deliver even more exciting gaming experiences to our users, further driving the momentum and accelerating the expansion of the PS4 platform and its business this fiscal year by offering an unparalleled line-up of games, bringing our virtual reality system, PlayStation VR, to market and providing ground-breaking features and network services."

There's no mention there of PlayStation 4K, although support for the upgraded PS4 will begin filtering out to games from this autumn, according to our sources.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Plenty of people are happy to drop $500 on a new phone every year, so I don't see why that won't work for consoles as well.
People buy smartphones every year the same reason they buy a new car every year, to show off, how are they going to show off a brick that remains hidden and unused on some forgotten part of their living room?

Now some bullshit from polygon, in short - Xbox 2 with 4xmoar power than Xbone to be released in 2017.

Microsoft has two new Xbox consoles on the horizon, according to reports on Kotaku and corroborated with Polygon's own sources. Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster than expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4. The other console, a slimmed down version of the current hardware, will also be getting a redesigned controller.

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017 according to Polygon's sources. It will likely be announced in the next month, though plans are somewhat in flux. Like the all-but-confirmed PS4 "Neo," Scorpio represents an evolution of console generations, one that straddles the line somewhat between an entirely new installment of the Xbox platform and a continuation of the existing Xbox One.

Power is a primary concern for Microsoft with Scorpio. The PS4 has remained a constant leader over the Xbox One in this respect, with games on the platform running at higher resolution and a higher framerate on the PS4 than their Xbox One counterparts. Microsoft is determined to end this narrative.

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft’s Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.

A price for Scorpio is also still under active discussion, and is unlikely to be revealed until next year.

More clear, however, is that "universal compatibility" is a core principle for the system. Scorpio is currently being designed to support all Xbox One software.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well, actually the opposite. Less time required spent rewriting various things for pc and allowing more time to focus on things like UI, already most pc multi-platform pc games are based from the Xbox One version.
As if they'll get people to work on UI in console ports...

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

It happens often, Square Enix always contracts out their ports to Nixxes who usually do a re-tooling of the ui to some extent.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

It happens often, Square Enix always contracts out their ports to Nixxes who usually do a re-tooling of the ui to some extent.
I've only heard of that happening in DX:HR. It kind of happened in Doom 4, at least with additional options in menus, and then... nothing else.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've only heard of that happening in DX:HR. It kind of happened in Doom 4, at least with additional options in menus, and then... nothing else.

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/projects

Also 460$ is worth paying for a good game, if you are a dumb fag like me.
Or if it's only a few hours of min. wage work because you live in a rich country.

Yeah try telling that to someone from my country who works a minimum wage job for about 300 euros a fucking month.
And who cares about few exclusives when PC will ALWAYS have a much bigger library of games available, certainly more fun games than anyone sane could even have time for.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom