Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Of the top 100 PS4 games, the vast majority (and certainly all those worth playing) are also available on PC, save one: Bloodborne.

I'm not too interested in a 30 FPS-locked Bloodborne machine, so it looks as though I'll be able to handily skip this entire console generation without missing out on much of anything. Last gen had a handful of good exclusive games, and I eventually did buy one of the later PS3 models.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Ironically it seems the trend of upgrading is not just limited to home consoles,but also handhelds.
The new 3ds seems to be running newer games much more better then previous versions.
So consoles are literally becoming gimped pc's.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
flyingjohn
Upgraded versions of handhelds were a thing decades ago. Gameboy, GBC, GBA, DS, and now 3DS have all had 2-3 additional versions each. The PSP had 1-2 additional versions; I'm not sure about the Vita.

Of course, most of those upgrades weren't actual hardware upgrades, but rather enhanced backlighting and/or screens, improved/smaller form factor, better features or control schemes, et cetera and so on.

As far as I can tell, consoles have been gimped PCs pretty much since the XBox debuted. They're basically inexpensive, plug-and-play little DRM boxes.

Handhelds are fully justified in their existence because they're well and truly portable and fill a niche that nothing else can... unless you count smartphones. I don't.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Rumor is that both Sony and MS are moving toward iterative console releases, more like iPads or just PCs in general where software remains compatible but runs progressively worse on older versions until those models are finally cut off from necessary software updates.

I guess it was bound to happen, these recent consoles were incredibly underpowered from the start and have only gotten less capable.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Console gaming is already significantly more expensive than PC gaming over time due to the noticeably higher average cost of console games. PC prices tend to be a bit lower to begin with, and then there are Steam sales, GOG sales, bundles, region-swapping, cheaper indie games, more economical DLC bundles, even freeware and open-source games if you want to count those. This is less true when considering very high-end gaming PCs, or if someone only buys a handful of games for their console over its lifetime, but those are outliers.

Consider:

Person A builds an $800 gaming PC in January 2014. Person B buys a PS4 for $400. By January 2016, two years later, each has bought 50 games. Person A paid an average of $40 for each of his games, while Person B paid an average of $50 for each of his games.

Person A has spent $2,800 total so far, while Person B has spent $2,900 (if Person B had bought an XBone, he'd have spent $3,000). That's just two years into the console's long-ass life cycle, and by the way, that $800 PC is far more powerful performance-wise than a PS4. In fact, for $400 in 2014, you could build a PC that was noticeably better than a PS4.

Having to purchase an entire new console every few years would really kick that into the realm of hilarity.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Bought 50 console games."

You can do better.

Also you are missing the main reason people buy consoles these days: exclusive releases. If games like Persona 5 or The Last Guardian were to be released on PCs, it would be a different story.
Let's not even get into the fact that a lot of people do not have the time and/or knowledge to set up a PC and maintain it. You can't just apply your own knowledge and then assume it applies to everyone. Your arguments are bad because of this fallacy.

Edit: Now that I think about it as I do the dishes, here is another thing you are completely glossing over: these days, everyone HAS a computer. Owning a PC, even a gaming PC, hasn't put a dent into console sales. And never will. It is not a question of "either or." I always owned a gaming PC and all the latest consoles. Why? Because I like video games and care about playing the exclusive releases on the hardware they were specifically designed for. This fixation on a medium is fetishistic.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Bought 50 console games."

You can do better.

Also you are missing the main reason people buy consoles these days: exclusive releases. If games like Persona 5 or The Last Guardian were to be released on PCs, it would be a different story.
Nope. People buy consoles for FIFA and Battlefield. 99% of the fuckers I dealt with when I worked as support for XBONE had issues with those,and now at MS Store, get the same queries: FIFA bundles,Battlefield,Minecraft etc. I think you're giving consoletards as a group way too much credit. I don't get any RPG queries at all. Sure, if just 5% of consoletards get Witcher for example it's still millions and it obscures the fact that almost nobody overall gets consoles for exclusives or RPG's. Conversely the fact that so many do play FIFA/Battlefield show that EA aren't going to go away anytime soon, so gleeful commentary about TORtanic,Inquisition etc. is pretty wishful thinking when the fuckers rake in eyewatering amounts from FIFA points alone and the yearly roster updates they sell as full games(I know as I'd help with refunds when little Johnny maxed out parents credit cards getting them!EA wouldn't even refund!).

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fair enough, I wouldn't know how to empathize with your average FIFA or CoD buying retard. But if you are gonna hate consoles, hate those guys, not the few of us who get them for the few standout games that warrant their purchase.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Kind of rarely, if I am very honest. There haven't been a lot of real exclusives worth getting - but those are still worth getting. Dark Souls/Demon's Souls/NieR were all worth getting a PS3 for.
It looks a little better for the PS4, at least as far as my tastes are concerned: Persona 5, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, NieR 2; those are all pretty promising titles. Hell, I even look forward to the new Final Fantasy, even though it will disappoint with 99% certainty.

In the end it is a matter of taste and priorities. But if you absolutely put games first, not ideology, then having a console is absolutely understandable, even if it were only for 1 single game that is not available any other way. Someone who really cares about games doesn't mind spending the price for the entire console plus the game for just one game alone.

Overall your're right but I'm slowly tired of situation when there only few new games worth playing and they're spread through several platforms like it was during last gen. Not that I don't appreciate competition in market but just imagine... if there were finally a ONE platform under the foot of even most terrible owner like Microsoft with their UWP... all stuff available via one OS, just buy some hardware once for 5 years and play everything that is released. All software creators are being forced to focus on that one platform, no effort is in vein, optimalization for that one trve OS became a priority so no more resources wasted during porting etc.

But I guess in real life we would just end up deep in the gutter of shite never known to human customer before.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If we consolidated it all to 1 platform, it would have to be the PC. We could still enjoy console games - just plug in a good controller. As much I like the console exclusives and don't mind shelling out big $$$ for them, this would be much better for everyone. The problem is dumb kids. Every fucking parent buys their dumb kids these CoD and Battlefield hell machines - too profitable to stop.

Andhaira

Arcane
We ought to be more worried about tablets than consoles at this point. In fact I forsee tablets replacing both PeeCees and consoles because retards gonna retard.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We ought to be more worried about tablets than consoles at this point. In fact I forsee tablets replacing both PeeCees and consoles because retards gonna retard.

Why worry when it already happen?

Mobile gaming is currently the most lucrative and the biggest piece of pie in the video game industry.

Most of the money made is in that market, not the console or the pc market.

If tablets could finally kill consoles and introduce dichotomy of total casual simplistic crap on Android/IOS and proper games on PC it would be much better than current hybrid state of gaming.

sullynathan

Arcane
If tablets could finally kill consoles and introduce dichotomy of total casual simplistic crap on Android/IOS and proper games on PC it would be much better than current hybrid state of gaming.
This would be impossible. Tablets can't kill consoles, no matter how powerful they've gotten, they only get console leftovers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't think Tablets will replace consoles any time soon, there is a limit on the amount of horse power you can place inside a tablet limited by both the space as the battery. Even future tablets, they will be more powerful than consoles are now but will keep being cleary inferior to the future machines. So far, all the attempts of FPS and other console games for tablets were so fucking horrible, the level of dumb down required to fit them on tablets was so big that scared even console gamers, the publishers kinda gave up and rely alot on cow clickers and other Zinga style waste of time games. Those kinds of games make alot of money but people aren't stopping playing console games to play them.

Tehdagah

Arcane
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/rumor-ps4-5-twice-powerful-gpu-deep-down-god-war-4-among-launch-titles

Price and Trade-Ins

The price is currently $399. There were discussions about including a better CPU, which would raise the price to $499, a price that is guaranteed to be the maximum amount one might have to pay for the upgraded console.

There are currently no plans for a trade-in program for PlayStation 4 owners, but that could change.

GPU and Blu-ray Player

The GPU is twice as powerful as the current PlayStation 4 and much faster. It runs at higher clock speed and is much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4K Blu-ray player and upscale games that are not 4K-native. (This is not to say that newer games will run 4K-native.)

Media Player Application

There is talk of a “VR Lounge” for the Media Player application, which will be getting a substantial upgrade.

Dev Kits and Existing Games

Developers already have development kits for the new PlayStation 4 and are making games that will directly target and take advantage of its higher specs. These games will work on the current PlayStation 4, but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Current games will not receive any performance upgrades by being played on the newer system. Any upgrades that come would do so via game-specific patches released by developers. When asked if this was going to happen, the response was, “It’s a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games.”

Launch Games

The following games will directly take advantage of the new PlayStation 4 at launch:

• EVE: Valkyrie (PlayStation VR)
  • Robinson: The Journey (PlayStation VR)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (PS4, PlayStation VR)
  • Deep Down (PS4)
  • GOW4 (presumably God of War 4) (PS4)
(There were more games on the list seen by OsirisBlack, but that these are the ones that stood out.)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So now ps 4.5 will have exclusives that will not run on ps 4 ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom