Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Beyond coming out for ps4, Heavy rain coming out in march 2016. Beyond + heavy rain to be bundled together in 2016, wait for it.

Beyond-Two-Souls.jpg

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are these games really good? I heard they are mostly qte laden.
Pfft, who said those games were good? They're not qte laden, the gameplay simply is qte's. There's nothing else. You watch a crappy movie while playing a mini-game of some other AAA game. In Heavy Rain sometimes those mini-games change up the movie.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I remember checking one of them on youtube, forgot which. Was basically just a QTEs fest but the most offending bit was the abysmal writing. Ok, i get it, you want to make a movie, not a game, but damn do the movie part right at the very least.

I bought both. Guess I'll skip out on the remakes. I still have a bunch of PS3 era stuff to finish (Alice: Madness Returns), and nothing on PS4 is that inspiring yet.

Ivan

Arcane
Games I totally would buy/re-buy from PS4's PS2 catalogue:

Devil May Cry 3
Okami
God Hand

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Games I totally would buy/re-buy from PS4's PS2 catalogue:

Devil May Cry 3
Okami

God Hand

These two games already got HD releases on the PS3, though. Having another way to re-buy them sounds a little much.

Trotsky

Arcane
Sony and M$ working on ps5 and xbox 2

Well colour me surprised. Teh NExT G€n won't arrive before 2023 though.

I'm really interested in this question as well. There are so many mixed signals regarding how well the current generation is doing vs the hardware limitations.

The sales data suggests new consoles are nowhere near the horizon but steep discounts/bundles contradict that suggesting a much earlier exit from this era.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Late last year and this year is my estimate for when devs started down the path of how to get as much power as possible out of the new consoles, for one, a lot of games used a modified Unreal Engine 3 due to the fact that they weren't ready to switch over their entire workflow and systems quite yet. I mean, look at the early games from x360 and ps3, they look like dog-shit compared to now and even compared to the end of the previous generation.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Man swears off Xbox after son spends $8,000 on FIFA microtransactions

EA.jpg

It's not just Kanye who hates microtransactions. Canada's Lance Perkins is upset after his 17-year-old son unwittingly charged $7,625.88 in FIFA microtransactions to the credit card he was granted for emergencies and family purchases.

"He thought it was a one-time fee for the game," Perkins said. "He's just as sick as I am, [because] he never believed he was being charged for every transaction, or every time he went onto the game."

The credit card company wouldn't address the charge unless Perkins would charge his own son with fraud. Perkins reached out to Microsoft and was told the bill stands, though whomever he was in contact with said they'd look into the charge after Perkins explained his son is a minor. Microsoft got back to CBC with a statement encouraging, "parents to use the many platform and service features we make available to prevent unapproved charges."

Perkins has taken an understandably hard-line stance in response to the ridiculous bill, saying, "There will never be another Xbox system--or any gaming system--in my home."
:incline:

Astral Rag

Arcane
EA lets slip lifetime Xbox One and PS4 consoles sales
55 million units combined, minus Sony's 36 million, leaves 19 million for Microsoft.
by Mark Walton (UK) - Jan 29, 2016 3:30pm CET

Lifetime Xbox One sales have reached 19 million units—at least if EA's CFO is to believed. During a financial call last night, Blake Jorgensen said the combined install base of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 had hit an estimated 55 million units, a mere two years into the life of the current generation.

While Microsoft has long stopped reporting on the absolute number of Xboxes sold, Sony continues to push out its own figures. Most recently, Sony revealed it has sold an impressive 35.9 million PS4s, which—when deducted from EA's 55 million figure—leaves around 19 million units for the Xbox One.

"I think our business seems to be operating pretty consistent as it has been over the last couple of years," said Jorgensen. "The console purchases are up through the end of calendar year '15. Our estimate is 55 million units out there which has exceeded virtually everyone's forecast for the year and now almost 50 percent higher than previous console cycle so, all of that is very, very positive."

While Sony has a significant lead in terms of units sold, as Jorgensen pointed out, both consoles are doing better than their predecessors did at the same point in their lifecycle.

That's certainly helped Microsoft's bottom line, with the company reporting a five percent year-on-year increase in revenue from its Games business for the quarter ending December 31, 2015, as part of its latest financial statement. However, hardware revenue declined nine percent, largely as a result of decreased sales of the Xbox 360. Microsoft also took a hit on Xbox One revenue, despite higher sales, thanks to a a lower sales price overall over the holidays.

Meanwhile, Xbox Live continues to grow, with a 30 percent year-on-year increase in users. There are now 48 million monthly active users on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC, and mobile. Nine million of those users were added in the three months ending December 31.

Guyz what do you thing, with the whole flood of PC ports, low-end console specs that bottlenecked them so early, rise of mobile gaming etc. can we expect current generation of consoles to be the last one? Finally?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Consoles are selling as well as ever, if not more so (The PS4 is currently the fastest selling console of all time, though the most selling is still the PS2). I'd say we'll see more blurring of the lines when it comes to distinctions between consoles, as console exclusivity by third party devs becomes rarer and rarer due to the rising costs of AAA game development making it less and less viable financially, but nothing resembling a full-on crash. Research has shown that when given an option, a vast majority of people will buy their games for a console instead of a PC. Hell, I have a friend who pissed away $2000 on a pre-built gaming PC that he never uses because all his friends play on the PS4. About the only one I think is in any really serious trouble is the WiiU, and Nintendo's coffers are so mindbogglingly huge that its failure will be a minor setback at worst.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom