Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Perkel it depends what you mean by "faked".

I wouldn't be surprised if they have an engine running on something somewhere that can produce those graphics, I just doubt it's running on a PS4 in real time with actual gameplay happening.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel it depends what you mean by "faked".

I wouldn't be surprised if they have an engine running on something somewhere that can produce those graphics, I just doubt it's running on a PS4 in real time with actual gameplay happening.

Why ?
I mean Quantic Dream demo WAS running on PS4 (as people could just walk to a station and move around camera in this demo), it was also running around it looks waaay better than that Uncharted 4 teaser and doesn't hide anything under its night theme.

Athelas

Arcane
it is all around impresive on technical level. First of games doesn't have cutscenes. All game is rendered same way and game doesn't switch into "cutscene mode" and gameplay mode. Every model you see is exactly the same for cutscene and gameplay down to every detail.
PC games and even many console games have been doing this since the 90's, you know.

Your posts also betray an incredibly naievete about how the games industry works. These trailers of supposedly 'real gameplay' are separate builds that the devs work on purely for presentation purposes, and they usually look better than the game proper.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why ?
I mean Quantic Dream demo WAS running on PS4 (as people could just walk to a station and move around camera in this demo), it was also running around it looks waaay better than that Uncharted 4 teaser and doesn't hide anything under its night theme.
I don't see anyone walking around in the video you posted.

Perkel

Arcane
it is all around impresive on technical level. First of games doesn't have cutscenes. All game is rendered same way and game doesn't switch into "cutscene mode" and gameplay mode. Every model you see is exactly the same for cutscene and gameplay down to every detail.
PC games have been doing this since the 90's, you know.

That is not my point. Point is that all you see in cutscenes is real time graphic without adding anything that would make it better in cutscenes. So cutscene graphic isn't faked like it is used to in many games now (switching character models, upgradeing DOF, lighting, AA and so on or prerendering).

Athelas

Arcane
That is not my point. Point is that all you see in cutscenes is real time graphic without adding anything that would make it better in cutscenes. So cutscene graphic isn't faked like it is used to in many games now (switching character models, upgradeing DOF, lighting, AA and so on or prerendering).
I still fail to see how this is something to be praised.

I edited that post right before you replied, you might want to read it again.

Xeon

Augur
The trailer or demo or whatever was pretty good, I don't know if it was scripted and rehearsed or something but was pretty good. I am not talking about graphic just how it played during most of the combat and stealth parts.

Perkel

Arcane
Why ?
I don't see anyone walking around in the video you posted.

Because it was at E3 and various people confirmed they had been "playing" it as they could move camera in that demo.

Perkel

Arcane
The trailer or demo or whatever was pretty good, I don't know if it was scripted and rehearsed or something but was pretty good. I am not talking about graphic just how it played during most of the combat and stealth parts.

Cage said on stage in one presentation that it run at that stage at 80-100FPS pushing more than 2mln polys and almost 40 different shaders for characters. All physic stuff was real time. Trully impresive stuff

Also there is one sleeper in therms of graphic. Deep Down via Capcom. Their fluid,water simulation for game is something that will make people wow. Even in current form it looks amazing and it runs at 1080p@45-60FPS and game release date is still not on horizon.

5Xy4.gif

I still fail to see how this is something to be praised.

I edited that post right before you replied, you might want to read it again.

Hmm. I simply say that stuff The Order 1886 shows is completely "in game" even those sections when they dropping on line. My point about cutscenes is that games usually bullshit you as they often either use prerendered footage with upgraded graphic or they upgrade stuff for just cutscene.

That section where they drop on line is alone better looking that all other next gen games imo. I hate their game design and i wish they would do something more interesting with their lore like RPG but game is about to become yardstick in therm of graphic wher released.

Ehh why did Ageia had to sell itself to shitty nvidia ? We could have something like above years ago on PC.

Tehdagah

Arcane
(...) And there is naturally Quantic Dream tech demo which showed what they have in store for their next game. If you don't know their work they always provided better graphic that their tech demos: (...)
Lol no.

heavy_rain.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Tech demos are often scripted and highly optimized. I mean, everyone knows this (no-retarded people anyway).

In case of QD they always beat it in actual game

(...) And there is naturally Quantic Dream tech demo which showed what they have in store for their next game. If you don't know their work they always provided better graphic that their tech demos: (...)
Lol no.

It's called cherry picking:

here is 2006 tech demo shot that actually shows how that one good shoot is definitely not average.

iztOG2gTi7Iu4.png

And here are some in game character models from Heavy rain:

iSS9W8lpjooCv.png

ibmoGQQaQRztKz.png

Also it is actual game that have other stuff than just animation and models and textures as environment has much more detail that that kitchen scene as there are usually more characters talking than one.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
And that is their latest stuff on same hardware (though it was piece of shit in therm of story)

EMBASSY_01.jpg

gaming-beyond-two-souls--screenshot-16.jpg

beyond_two_souls_58_605x.jpg

beyond-approval0oqka.gif

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane

here is 2006 tech demo shot that actually shows how that one good shoot is definitely not average.
Blurred pics?

The game does have jaggies, just like every PS3 title.

This is almost how the game actually looks like:

371893-heavy-rain-1280x720.jpg

... just need to add some jaggies.

There's a plenty of jaggies in Beyond Two Souls, too. Also, lame anisotropic filtering (because PS3).

Athelas

Arcane
Showing off those screenshots might've been a valid argument if David Cage games weren't essentially shitty movies rather than games. The cost of such graphics obviously comes high. And it doesn't look particularly impressive to me, though admittedly I care more about good art direction than pure horse power.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-11/sony-prepares-for-life-after-game-consoles

The company says one of its top priorities in 2014 has been buying servers and expanding its cloud networks to make sure it can reliably stream high-bandwidth games through PlayStation Now, the service it introduced over the summer. Players using PS Now don’t need to own any Sony hardware beyond a game controller or two: The service relays its 200-odd titles directly from a data center to a player’s TV, which doesn’t have to be Sony-made. “If you look at other forms of entertainment and the dramatic impact streaming has had on those, that says to us that there’s clearly a strong consumer satisfaction with the instant gratification that’s provided by streaming experiences,” says Andrew House, president of Sony Computer Entertainment. “We think that has a role to play in the future of games, as well.”

Although it may seem strange to cannibalize the hardware business while gamers are still willing to pay $400 or more for a PS4, Sony needs to push into cloud gaming sooner rather than later, says Serkan Toto, the founder of Tokyo-based consultant Kantan Games. “Cloud gaming is the future, and I have no doubt that things like PlayStation 4 and all the hardware and cables that fill up your living room will all go away,” he says.

Streaming that Bloodborne on mah PC. Even Sony realizes that ad-hoc gaming systems in this day and age have become archaic. Microsoft is already working to have Xbawk slowly fading out in favor of Windows/Mobile/Cloud. It's like they don't even want to have a XB1 successor anymore. Smart.

Perkel

Arcane

Blurred pics?

The game does have jaggies, just like every PS3 title.

This is almost how the game actually looks like:

371893-heavy-rain-1280x720.jpg

... just need to add some jaggies.

There's a plenty of jaggies in Beyond Two Souls, too. Also, lame anisotropic filtering (because PS3).

Except Heavy Rain was almost jaggie free game. But that is beside point.
Your point was that they can't beat their tech demos where in real game they beat it and with Beyond it is completely beaten.
Inconsistency is whole other thing that doesn't have anythying to do with beating tech demo.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
All video game streaming services so far have been shit as I understand it, the input lag making them very hard to play.

When consoles first became popular, developers added auto aiming and/or cover systems to compensate for inferior controls[citation needed]. I wonder what they will add to compensate for shitty input lag. Prediction: VATS, VATS everywhere.

Perkel

Arcane
Or just games will have shitty input lag.

Thankfully my hobby doesn't require anything more than just low to mediacore pc and even if nvidia and amd would go to hell people would still create RPgs just with more gamplay instead of shitty 3D graphic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom