Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm sure a company that loses $1.3 billion a year is very worried about a $5 million lawsuit.
Multiplied by how many if he wins?

Black

Arcane
@Douglas Ladore, you have my sword. The sooner we get rid of the sony menace the better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If Early Access comes to consoles: Developers respond

Excerpt:
There's also a key difference between PC and console games: The latter is known for its simplicity, while the former is notorious for how malleable it is. PC gamers can rejig their kits, tinker around with such intricate settings as shaders and resolution, and even alter games completely by creating mods for them.

"People love consoles because stuff just works," says Kazdal. "PC gamers have a lot more patience for buggy games and challenging set ups."

Lambe suspects the reason console gamers are so suspicious of Early Access whereas PC players are okay with it comes down to one thing: familiarity. "Open alpha's been a thing on PC for a long time - think MMOs and ASCII roguelikes, some of which have been in development for decades. PC gamers are comfortable with it, because it's par for the course. It's something completely new to console gamers - there's lots of good in open alpha, but they're (rightfully) concerned that it'll bring some of the bad, too. I can't blame them," he says.

Pinchbeck also thinks it's a cultural mindset that's keeping gamers hesitant for in-development commercial releases to come to consoles. "There's a very different approach to games on the PC market, which has roots in things like modding, and the sense of underdog exclusivity that's a result of having been seen as second rate to consoles for a number of years in the global marketplace," he explains. "Consoles tend to be about finished products, or at least were until the Internet got to a point where patches could be a commonplace thing - whereas PC gaming was always tied to the Internet and a more active, fluid relationship between gamers and games was present. So there's a deep cultural divide, I guess, and that'll take some time to ebb away.

"Plus I think there's a sense that consoles are still the territory of big publishers, and they shouldn't need money to finish their games, whereas lots of smaller companies operate on PC. I understand the concern that smaller devs may suddenly find themselves competing for Early Access funds with larger organisations who can spend more upfront on making those Early Access titles feel like better value.

"I'm pretty optimistic about this stuff though. Gamers are smart, and they understand value and integrity. I think cynical Early Access programs will fail because people see through them, and where it's a good idea, it'll succeed. I don't know how realistic that is, but I'd prefer to be optimistic about it than cynical as much as I can be."

Arcks

Educated
Yeah, that's how it was years ago.
Stop being edgy. This is how it works now. Occasionally you have to install some data on the HDD, but that's it.

Yeah, waiting for about 10-20 minutes to get to game after sticking it to tray sure is fast and no problem. I fucking install and patch steam games faster than modern console games. Fuck modern consoles.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stop being edgy. This is how it works now. Occasionally you have to install some data on the HDD, but that's it.

Yeah, waiting for about 10-20 minutes to get to game after sticking it to tray sure is fast and no problem. I fucking install and patch steam games faster than modern console games. Fuck modern consoles.
Nobody said that it is as fast as a PC. But all you do is insert disk, install an occasional update/mandatory data and play. Without the danger of your PC being too crappy for the game, or a driver problem or having to set up the game in the options menu. You just insert disk - update - play. Easy as pie.

Drax

Arcane

Indeed. The last worthy console was the GLORIOUS SEGA GENESIS.

Arcks

Educated

Nobody said that it is as fast as a PC. But all you do is insert disk, install an occasional update/mandatory data and play. Without the danger of your PC being too crappy for the game, or a driver problem or having to set up the game in the options menu. You just insert disk - update - play. Easy as pie.

Yeh, these days I have to wait much less time to get playing on PC with steam then I have to with consoles. And if you get below 30 fps and crashes with console, too bad, not much you can do about it. Only games I run to any kind of problems are older games, usually 5+ year older, and even those are faster solved than patching and installing time on consoles.

Black

Arcane
Without the danger of your PC being too crappy for the game
VtR8h4L.jpg

rDb0PxX.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Without the danger of your PC being too crappy for the game
VtR8h4L.jpg

rDb0PxX.png
Are you retarded Black? I just said that your PC might not handle a game, if it has high system requirements. And sure, console games might have fps drops, but they are not constantly play on 14fps.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
People love consoles because stuff just works
:lol:
This has not been true for many, many years now.

I buy a game, I put it in the xbox, it updates, I play.
Updates? That's crazy. I launch PS2 emulator, select iso, and play it. No waiting, no DRM, no patches. No bugs because I don't play Japanese originals, and all bugs were squashed when EU received it half year later after US.

Also fan made undubs rules.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Updates? That's crazy. I launch PS2 emulator, select iso, and play it. No waiting, no DRM, no patches. No bugs because I don't play Japanese originals, and all bugs were squashed when EU received it half year later after US.

I like how certain people think that using emulators makes them superior to regular consolefags.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Emulators have superior GFX. I pity these who have TV and playing it on original PS2.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

I like how certain people think that using emulators makes them superior to regular consolefags.

It kind of does, honestly. For one, you don't have to put up with a platform holder's dumb bullshit and your $400 media device being unable to play MP3s in 2014 (not a joke, neither XBone nor the PS4 have this extremely advanced functionality). And secondly, if you're using an emulator, you're likely playing console games from a time where they actually had gameplay and weren't trying to be movies.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

It kind of does, honestly. For one, you don't have to put up with a platform holder's dumb bullshit and your $400 media device being unable to play MP3s in 2014 (not a joke, neither XBone nor the PS4 have this extremely advanced functionality). And secondly, if you're using an emulator, you're likely playing console games from a time where they actually had gameplay and weren't trying to be movies.

I keep looking at top 50 lists of PS2 games for something to inspire me to install an emulator and start playing, but everything that remotely interests me I've already played.

Asian shit, sports, fighting, racing, story, shooter, family, quirky... not interested in any of them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-15-ps4-leads-us-console-sales-for-seventh-month-running

PS4 leads US console sales for seventh month running
New console sales nearly 80% higher than last-gen at same point.

PlayStation 4 has celebrated a seventh straight month atop the US home console chart, numbers company NPD has reported.

jpg

The GIF loops on.

Sony's console wasn't only the best-selling machine in July, it was also the home to the best-selling game - The Last of Us.

PlayStation 4 has now sold 10m consoles worldwide, Sony announced this week. Recent numbers for Microsoft's Xbox One are more illusive.

Responding to the NPD results, Microsoft simply stated that Xbox One was selling "strong and steady", with a continued momentum from June's launch of the Kinect-less $399 bundle (thanks, VentureBeat). That bundle offering caused Xbox One numbers to double month-on-month from May - but not high enough to dislodge PS4.

Combined sales of the PS4 and Xbox One after nine months on sale are now almost 80 per cent higher than those for the PS3 and Xbox 360 over the same time period, NPD also noted.

Meanwhile, Nintendo celebrated Mario Kart selling 1m copies in the US - the second to do so after New Super Mario Bros. U.

Minecraft was the second-best selling game in July, followed by FIFA 14, Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8, COD: Ghosts, GTA 5, Sniper Elite 3, NBA 2K14 and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tainment-studios-sale-with-warner-bros-report
Microsoft discussing Xbox Entertainment Studios sale with Warner Bros. - report
Picture this.

Microsoft is in talks to sell its Xbox Entertainment Studios division to Warner Bros., a new report suggests.

Preliminary discussions between the two companies have centred on the idea of merging XES with Machinima, of which Warner Bros. owns a stake (thanks, The Hollywood Reporter).

Machinima previously partnered with Xbox to distribute Halo 4 spin-off Forward Unto Dawn.

XES was shuttered by Xbox boss Phil Spencer back in July as part of Microsoft's plan to cut 18,000 jobs before the end of the year.

But many of the company's existing slate of programming will still be made - most notably this year's Halo: Nightfall and the upcoming Halo live-action TV series.

Future projects would have included a US version of Swedish sci-fi series Humans and a possible remake of the classic BBC series Blake's 7.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-15-ps4-leads-us-console-sales-for-seventh-month-running

PlayStation 4 has celebrated a seventh straight month atop the US home console chart, numbers company NPD has reported.

jpg

The GIF loops on.

Sony's console wasn't only the best-selling machine in July, it was also the home to the best-selling game - The Last of Us.

PlayStation 4 has now sold 10m consoles worldwide, Sony announced this week. Recent numbers for Microsoft's Xbox One are more illusive.

Responding to the NPD results, Microsoft simply stated that Xbox One was selling "strong and steady", with a continued momentum from June's launch of the Kinect-less $399 bundle (thanks, VentureBeat). That bundle offering caused Xbox One numbers to double month-on-month from May - but not high enough to dislodge PS4.

Combined sales of the PS4 and Xbox One after nine months on sale are now almost 80 per cent higher than those for the PS3 and Xbox 360 over the same time period, NPD also noted.

Meanwhile, Nintendo celebrated Mario Kart selling 1m copies in the US - the second to do so after New Super Mario Bros. U.

Minecraft was the second-best selling game in July, followed by FIFA 14, Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8, COD: Ghosts, GTA 5, Sniper Elite 3, NBA 2K14 and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
It sure seems that the console market is dying, just as some Codexers predicted.

Tytus

Arcane

jpg

The GIF loops on.

It sure seems that the console market is dying, just as some Codexers predicted.

Don't you know that your body becomes stronger just before death as a last effort to stay alive?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom