Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So MGSV is hopefully going to resume the tradition of a good mgs game before/after a shitty one ?

Meh, I'm not sure I even care.
MGS Ground Zeroes is very, VERY good, although it is short (only 1 story mission, and 5 side missions). Gameplay is the best in the whole series IMO, keeping the good stuff, making it better, and leaving out the bad ones. Free movement is great, you are not restricted where to go on the mission map, you can climb almost anything if it is in reachable height (hello Garrett). CQC is also good, camera control is like in MGS4. I miss David Hayter's voice, although Sutherland is OK I guess. If they can keep this up in PHantom Pain, we will be in a treat.

Here's the new Metal Gear Solid in full, without cutscenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dINNhfwVgI

That'll be $30.
Yes, because Ramboing and speedrunning through games is the way games are meant to be played.
Charging 30€ for a 60 min game is a brashness though.
Playing stealthily the main mission takes around 2-3 hours for the first time, the other 5 side missions take about 3-4 hours in all, so I call bullshit on the 60 minute game.

And for the first time, the Metal Gear series managed to beat Thief. Ground Zeroes stole Thi4f's title as the worst entry in a stealth franchise ever.

What a time to be alive. I'm so relieved that 2014 is the year of the incline.
Stop talking out from your ass. GZ leaves Thiaf in the dust, and it is a much better stealth game. Wait, no, I don't even compare the two, because they are not the same genre. Thief was also pure stealth, while MGS was stealth action, so it is retarded to compare the two.
It's easily 80+ minutes if you 100% it. And the increased price is due to next gen graphics.
BUUUULLLLSHIIIIIIT. Played the main mission for 3 hours, and only completed 8%.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The speedrunning argument really is dumb though. Morrowind can be completed in 7 minutes.

That said paying $30 for one level of Crysis is pretty fucking dumb.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a single map. It should be a demo, not a fucking $30 release.
I also think that it should be a free demo, but to be fair, there are 6 totally different missions in the game. Sure, they take place in the same map, but during different circumstances.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Length aside my main issue from watching the Giantbomb quick look is that it's a style of game I've played many times before. It's not some innovative new breakthrough that required a retail demo to stun the world with. It's fucking Far Cry/Crysis in third-person. Big fucking whoop-dee-doo.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Where is my Far Cry clone that lets me ride dinosaurs Dino Rider style?

Fucking unimaginative losers, the Second Video Game Crash can't come soon enough.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It's fucking Far Cry/Crysis in third-person. Big fucking whoop-dee-doo.
What? It has guns and you can shoot people, so it is like Far Cry? How are they the same? News at eleven, Thief and Far Cry are similar because you can kill people in both of them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What? It has guns and you can shoot people, so it is like Far Cry? How are they the same? News at eleven, Thief and Far Cry are similar because you can kill people in both of them.

It's base infiltration using stealth, non-linear tactics and tagging enemies. How the fuck is that not Far Cry and Crysis? I watched the whole hour long video, I know what the fuck it is.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It's fucking Far Cry/Crysis in third-person. Big fucking whoop-dee-doo.

Fary Cry is actually playable. Thiaf is a piece of shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

It's base infiltration using stealth, non-linear tactics and tagging enemies. How the fuck is that not Far Cry and Crysis? I watched the whole hour long video, I know what the fuck it is.
Except stealth in Far Cry is pretty much shit, almost non existent. And in Crysis it is "activate cloak, sneak into the base" fluff. Just an example, you can ghost every Metal Gear from start to finish game except for the bosses, but even those can be taken down with non leathel weapons, you can also grab and interrogate enemies. And for tagging, if someone plays Ground Zeroes with tagging switched ON, he should stop and stick the controller in his butt.

Machocruz

Arcane
Metal Gear has a cool factor that Far Cry doesn't have. They're like Michael Mann films, but with cartoon plotting. I'm playing Far Cry 3 right now. It's good for what it is, but it's like that movie with Alice and Raylan Givens, which wasn't very cool.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except stealth in Far Cry is pretty much shit, almost non existent. And in Crysis it is "activate cloak, sneak into the base" fluff. Just an example, you can ghost every Metal Gear from start to finish game except for the bosses, but even those can be taken down with non leathel weapons, you can also grab and interrogate enemies. And for tagging, if someone plays Ground Zeroes with tagging switched ON, he should stop and stick the controller in his butt.

I don't know or care how the old ones played, the crazy and never-ending Japanese story shit kept me from playing them. All I know is I'm watching a dude in this quick look video tag patrolling soldiers, avoid search-lights and sneak around tents looking for the objective arrow and I'm thinking "holy shit this is Crysis" while the supposed game journalist is saying "THIS SHIT IS SO UNIQUE AND EPIC! IT'S WORTH $30 DESPITE BEING 2 HOUR LONG!" And then I rolled my eyes and did something else.

Drakron

Arcane
Figures it would be J_C defending this despicable scam.

Metal Gear Solid is a stealth game, story now is just pure wacky bullshit but gameplay wise? OK I never gone beyond Snake Eater but its fucking solid ... gunning in Metal Gear Solid is possible to a degree since can be done but its a huge risk because of patrols and you have limited ammo and health so you pretty much learn to not do it.

Granted that is gameplay since story is now even boinkers that Metal Gear.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy

5/10

whisper_to_me_kojima_by_digi_matrix-d7b6db2.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The Eurogamer video wasn't a speedrun.
What is a speedrun if not this? The guy knew the fastest route to the objectives, he was running through the enemies, killing everybody using the built in cheat mode (slow mo killing) if needed, dismissing every other sideobjectives, dialogues and story bits, alerting everybody if needed (in a stealth game, what a great way to play).

lol his review is longer than the game he's reviewing.
Damn, you are right. It is also longer than Fallout in a speedrun. So?
30 bucks for quoting me plz
30dollars.gif

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Figures it would be J_C defending this despicable scam.

Metal Gear Solid is a stealth game, story now is just pure wacky bullshit but gameplay wise? OK I never gone beyond Snake Eater but its fucking solid ... gunning in Metal Gear Solid is possible to a degree since can be done but its a huge risk because of patrols and you have limited ammo and health so you pretty much learn to not do it.

Granted that is gameplay since story is now even boinkers that Metal Gear.

I mean selling a ~2 hour demo for $30.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom