Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PS4 Recommendations

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Plus the last of us has zombies that nom your head. Fungus Zombies > generic Hawaiian shirt wearing bullet sponge dudes.

deuxhero

Arcane
Cyber Sleuth is good if you can look past a rushed translation with some obvious errors (Characters changing nickname in the same conversation, "that monster" being mistake for a specific monster.) and get it at a decent price.

I thought Bloodborne was pretty meh. Unlike Demon's/Dark Souls it's hard, but for all the wrong reasons (lag, demanding precise input in a laggy 30 FPS game, grinding for consumables).

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Cyber Sleuth is good if you can look past a rushed translation with some obvious errors (Characters changing nickname in the same conversation, "that monster" being mistake for a specific monster.) and get it at a decent price.

I thought Bloodborne was pretty meh. Unlike Demon's/Dark Souls it's hard, but for all the wrong reasons (lag, demanding precise input in a laggy 30 FPS game, grinding for consumables).

Did we play the same Bloodborne? It has smoother gameplay and less lag than both Demon Souls and Dark Souls. You had the same grind for consumables in Bloodborne as you had in Demon Souls (Grass) and Dark Souls (Humanity), and none of the games require any grinding. Bloodborne was hard because it had much more difficult bosses, and nothing in any Dark Souls / Demon Souls comes close to the level 5-6 chalice dungeons with all 3 affixes.

deuxhero

Arcane
Honestly I said fuck it to grass grinding after I beat my second world (whatever they were called) and just used the duplication glitch on the buyable ones. It was replaced with Estus for a reason. You never actually needed to grind humanity in Dark Souls unless you were using a humanity scaling thing. Restoring human form for bosses was easily done with jolly co-operation.

Grinding for orbs and vials just made it harder to actually learn from failure and slowed the game down a ton for no damn purpose.

Declinator

Arbiter
Blood vials were a definite step backwards from the Estus system. Seemed like they wanted to make tiny differences in Bloodborne for difference's sake. Needing to farm that shit is one of the worst decisions made in Bloodborne (in addition to having to teleport to the main base before teleporting elsewhere). Why would you need to grind for humanity in Dark Souls? I only ever used it if I wanted to play online.

Bloodborne had far more slow downs than I remember having playing Dark Souls 1 on PS3 though Dark Souls had some real rough patches worse than anything on Bloodborne. On PC Dark Souls is definitely smoother (with DSFix).

Did we play the same Bloodborne? It has smoother gameplay and less lag than both Demon Souls and Dark Souls. You had the same grind for consumables in Bloodborne as you had in Demon Souls (Grass) and Dark Souls (Humanity), and none of the games require any grinding. Bloodborne was hard because it had much more difficult bosses, and nothing in any Dark Souls / Demon Souls comes close to the level 5-6 chalice dungeons with all 3 affixes.

Dungeons only go up to depth 5...

As far as difficulty goes I thought it was slightly easier. Slightly easier levels and slightly easier bosses though some of the DLC bosses were quite tough. I couldn't get to depth 5 of the main chalice line because I didn't get a required item before finishing the game and entering NG+ so maybe it has some difficult bosses. Suppose I could do some of the different chalices but the chalice dungeons aren't all that compelling and depth 4 bosses were uninteresting. The depth 4 dog was supposed to be real tough but I didn't see any of that supposed toughness.

With all three additional rites sure you can add some difficulty to the fights but that is exactly the uninteresting kind of difficulty. Wow the boss does more damage, has more health, and you have half your health...

sullynathan

Arcane
I thought Bloodborne was pretty meh. Unlike Demon's/Dark Souls it's hard, but for all the wrong reasons (lag, demanding precise input in a laggy 30 FPS game, grinding for consumables)
Bloodborne has less lag than the other console souls games except souls 3.
If you've played demons or dark souls then you shouldn't have a problem with bloodborne.
Needing to farm that shit is one of the worst decisions made in Bloodborne (in addition to having to teleport to the main base before teleporting elsewhere). Why would you need to grind for humanity in Dark Souls? I only ever used it if I wanted to play online.
Demon's souls problems

deuxhero

Arcane
Demon's Souls and console Dark Souls do indeed have more lag. The difference is they weren't made to require as precise timing as Bloodborne does.

sullynathan

Arcane
Demon's Souls and console Dark Souls do indeed have more lag. The difference is they weren't made to require as precise timing as Bloodborne does.
Demons souls ends up requiring precise timing because of how BS it feels. Try fighting false king without precisely dodging his attacks

Falksi

Arcane
The Technomancer
Valkeria Chronicles
The Technomancer
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
The Technomancer
Maybe Xcom 2. It's ok, not great tho.
Have I mentioned The Technomancer?
Seriously, I'm fairly disappointed with most PS4 games so far, Witcher 3 included, but The Technomancer was a lush - albiet flawed & rough - experience.

Bloodborne & Last of Us both bored the shit out if me. One was repetitive as hell, the other a walking/sneaking sim with fiddly combat. The PS4 is fairly wank overall so far for me.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Revised recommendation: Get Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's not the best gaem ever, and it's pretty retatded calling it an RPG. What it is, is basically a post-apocalyptic distant future Far Cry 3/4 but with a surprisingly deep world and storyline, fan-goddamn-tastic art style (the best graphics I've seen on a PS4 too), and robot dinosaurs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I finished the first half of Atelier Firis (completed the exam) and it was an absolute blast. So good. The best Atelier game so far. Now that I've done the exam the time limit is gone so I'm free to poop around and explore the relatively huge open world. This game not only has the good old crafting system, but the exploration and combat is really good and challenging now as well.

Started playing Yakuza 0 and it's really fukken good, as you'd expect from a Yakuza game. If you liked the previous games then you'll like this one as well. Combat is also a bit better in this game and it feels slightly more challenging this time. Recommend that you play it on Hard.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Generaly most game are sadly shit currently

however

Persona 5 will be the best jrpg to date, comes out week from now

later this year Red Dead Redemption 2 will be released

oh and uncharted 4 is a popamole movie done right, so there's that also

Red Rogue

Learned
Since I bought the ps4 I cant claim the most prestigous taste but wasnt last of us just one step away from being a walking simulator and a boring, cliched, bad, one at that? i Remember trying Uncharted years ago since everyone was telling me how great it was and was bored five minutes in.

Yeah, I was excited to play the Uncharted collection to see what I missed out on. The first wasn't fun, and I couldn't even finish Uncharted 2, the supposed gem of the series.
They practically play themselves. I understand they're supposed to be a celebration of b rate action movies, but god damn I just think they're dull and uninspired.

Cromwell

Arcane
Revised recommendation: Get Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's not the best gaem ever, and it's pretty retatded calling it an RPG. What it is, is basically a post-apocalyptic distant future Far Cry 3/4 but with a surprisingly deep world and storyline, fan-goddamn-tastic art style (the best graphics I've seen on a PS4 too), and robot dinosaurs.

didnt you just rant about that game as feminist sjw drivel in its own thread?

Falksi

Arcane
I enjoyed the first Uncharted, although it doesn't get going for ages (about 6 chapters in). Worth persevering with though, flounders at the last but a solid enjoyable middle.
Uncharted 2 is dog wank. Way too much climbing, way too many bollocks trivial filler sections.
Uncharted 3 is brilliant. Lets itself down towards the end again, but personally found the majority of the game very, very enjoyable and in particular very well paced.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
didnt you just rant about that game as feminist sjw drivel in its own thread?
No, some strawmanning dumbfucks pretended I did. What I actually did was agree with someone that there is feminist propaganda in it, gave examples and said it's probably not on purpose and not as bad as many other games and movies recently.

Silva

Arcane
Bloodborne's only reasonable flaws are vials farming and lanterns with limited travel. Everything else in the game is top notch and arguably best in the series: bosses, levels, combat, aesthetics, lore, etc. The only one that rivals it is the first Dark Souls.

Anyone who disagrees is a faggot and should go suck a cock.

Red Rogue

Learned
MLB The Show is the best baseball game on the market, for anyone with even a passing interest in Baseball. It's actually the only real baseball game on the market, unless you prefer PC exclusive simulators.

The new edition that releases tonight supposedly has a revamped "Road to the show" mode, which essentially makes the mode more of an RPGish story mode with branching decisions.

I don't watch Baseball but I've had an absolute blast playing MLB16, so the new one with the upgraded story mode might be worth consideration.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Bloodborne's only reasonable flaws are vials farming and lanterns with limited travel. Everything else in the game is top notch and arguably best in the series: bosses, levels, combat, aesthetics, lore, etc. The only one that rivals it is the first Dark Souls.

Anyone who disagrees is a faggot and should go suck a cock.

Also, you never need to farm vials after your first playthrough if you're any good at the game.

Hyperion

Arcane
Ni-Oh deserves another mention. I had to force myself to put it down in the middle of Way of the Strong and wait for all of the DLC to come out before playing again for the true, full experience. Imo, it's easily GotY, doubly so for a game that was in development Hell for 12 years. Compare that to FFXV, which I'm refusing to play beyond the first area till they actually finish the fucking thing.

The game has its flaws, the main one being the bestiary isn't diverse enough. Way too much repetition, which makes the game seem significantly easier than it is. Combat is top notch, and is the perfect combination of Souls and Ninja Gaiden. It might be best to try and wait for a GotY / 'definitive' edition with all the DLC included to save some cash.

Best part is the ending left a clear opening for a sequel. Given its pretty good success (more than 1 million copies sold now) we should get it, which, if they correct the criticisms of this game + add a bunch new weapon types, I don't think Souls will come close to competing in the fun department.

Hyperion

Arcane
Well, there was a 6 GB update released yesterday that is supposed to alleviate the dreaded "Chapter 13." I may very well be better off never finishing the game...

Red Rogue

Learned
Well, there was a 6 GB update released yesterday that is supposed to alleviate the dreaded "Chapter 13." I may very well be better off never finishing the game...

Alleviates the dreaded Chapter 13 and adds 5 dollar DLC. It fills in a random ass gap in the plot, I never understood why they had said gap in the final game at all, until I saw the DLC announced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom