Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[PS2] Wizardry Gaiden - Prisoners of the Battles map?

Puck Man

Novice
How do you view your map in this game?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Puck Man

- Spells
- In each dungeon there is an optional and usually hidden (or simply hard to get to) switch which "unlocks" access to a real-time mini-map with all of the non-secret/non-hidden stuff displayed
- item/scroll(s) (early on I used a lot of these to save my tier 1 mage spell-casting for katino crowd conrtol)
- draw ur own!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This game is absoluely fantastic, btw. i assume ou're playing this on a ps2 emu, or by any chance u plying the japanese windows PC version? MrRichard floated TPoTB and its sequel "five ordeals", whic is simply five new dugeons no connectoin or relatoin to the previous campaign.

TPoTB's is 100% "finish-able" without any incident whatsoever if no knowledge of jap language, as absoluely everything can be switched to english language EXCEPT for the "dialog", and sinec there are basically no NPCs in TPoTB's the "dialog text" is the stuff you'll read inisde dnugeons, usually on a wall or a sign-post.

In fact, you miss absolutely nothing by not hvnig the dungeon txt in english as TPotB is a 100% throwbac to a specific Wiardry era, the first 3 titles; i.e. there are basicaly on puzzles other than ones involving proper navigatoin of the maze (no reading required), and there are no NPCs really to spout dialog at you. It is most similar to Wizardry 3 in terms of the "scenario design", but with aaalll the bells whistles and fluff added up to wiz 5, and to top it off they added an Enchantment System for gear.

The enchantment system is trolol random so, i just would save the state, peek at what the enchantment would be, and if undesireable then reload the state. Note tht it the enchantments DO NOT CHANGE, so once the game decidesd what it'll be, that's it, no mtter what trickery you try to pull with the save states. Pretty sure the "hidden enchantment" is is assigned to the item upon item-identificatoin, or earlier perhaps.

The shop only "reveals" the enchantment awaiting if you pay for it. And yes, some enhcantments are BAD. but none are wothless.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
well the second dungeon have a small puzzle but can be done easily without knowing jp...but third dungeon have 2 puzzle, but the answer can be found somewhere on internet. other than that it's pretty much what aweigh said. the final dungeon was really fun.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
problem with five ordeals (only on pc), is that unlike TPotB's right fromt he very first dungeon there is a puzzle involving clues written on doors/walls/etc.

basically need-to-know-jap, unlike TPotB. i would've translated Five Ordeals but i can't figure out/get past the encryption they used on the archive files which contain the game dungeon text. would need a programmer versed in this stuff to take a look, and chances of that are slim to none.

yeah, othrewise i would've been posting threads about five ordeals long ago!

Dorarnae

Arbiter
prisoners of the battle. damn that game is good. I'll need to replay it again someday.

when I first played and put video of that game on youtube, Itachan on youtube told me he had to stop watching because he wanted to play it so badly hehe (I don't remember which wizardry he was playing at the time, but he eventually played five ordeals).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i wish the enchantment system wasn't SOOOOO fucking random. the amount(s) of money per enchantment don't really constitute "tiers", they're al just blind luck with different price tag.

also, Dorarnae, did you ever use the item box? also, in the training grounds screen did you ever use any of the options that say stuff like "clear monster data", "clear maps", "clear game data", etc.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
i wish the enchantment system wasn't SOOOOO fucking random. the amount(s) of money per enchantment don't really constitute "tiers", they're al just blind luck with different price tag.

also, Dorarnae, did you ever use the item box? also, in the training grounds screen did you ever use any of the options that say stuff like "clear monster data", "clear maps", "clear game data", etc.

the item box is probably where you can store your items. it may seems useless for now but eventually you'll have to enter the last dungeon at lvl 1 naked and you can't get out til you finish something. once you can tho, you can re-equip your guy....

clear game data probably erase your file. as for clear monster and maps, I am not sure, maybe it allows you to check stats on monster and the maps?

Puck Man

Novice
Aweigh!!!! Thank you for all the info man! You have so much knowledge of these games! Before I registered an account here I've been lurking here for a while just looking at the stuff you and Dorarnae post. I really appreciate it you two!
I was watching Dorarnae's youtube videos and all the sudden he got that mini map to display - but I could never figure out why! Thanks for explaining for me!
(And yes I'm using the PS2 version.)

And can i ask..... Does anyone happen to know where the windows versions of Prisoners of the Battles and Five Ordeals could be obtained? PM me maybe? I can't find them anywhere. I think the only reason I was able to find the PC versions of the Empire games is because of the nice people on this forum who purchased it, made it available to download, and TRANSLATED it to boot! You guys rock! Thanks again.

Puck Man

Novice
Also, have you guys seen all the other episodes that Itachan has played on his channel?

Stuff like:
The Pickled Man of Galvan
The Absence of Misericordia
Children of the King Selene
The Wheels of Flame
The Devoid of Apotheasis
Traveler's Property

Are any of these available anywhere?!?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah the only chance of torrenting the windows versions of TPotB and Five Ordeals is by exhaustively googling japanese torrent sites.

use keywords like "torrento" (not joking) or "thunder link", and it requires using a japanese torrent app.

Honestly... it's not worth the hassle. As for all of those scenarios you listed the ones not from Five Ordeals are user-made ones as FO was released with a scenario editor kit (no longer supported) in japan. Obviously the quality of user made scenarios varies, to say the least, and I've never bothered playing one.

I pm'd Richard about floating me again a copy of his windows version of Five Ordeals and PotB (I lost the copies he gave me because Dropbox sucks ass... don't use dropbox) and he said he'll dig out the iso's when he has time.

Puck Man

BTW, all of the "dungeon text" (the shit written on walls/signs/etc) is technically available in english already: in 2nd wiki link the person who made the site wrote all of the game text alongside the dungeon solutions, so when you Google-Translate the wiki that stuff is translated alongside it.

It's not a true translation but it definitely helps get the message across, especially for the 3rd dungeon of PotB. The hints are very simple and direct "use this over there while doing that", and Google Translate gets that job done.

Puck Man

Novice
aweigh: Thanks for the reply. I've tried looking for torrents in the past with no luck. If I get bored I'll try again with your recommendations!
I'd like to try to find those other episodes personally. I really like the style of the engine they use and the artwork! (Although I wish you were actually traversing a 3D dungeon, but oh well.)
I'm waiting for my physical copy of Prisoners of the Battles to arrive. And in the meantime I've been getting hooked on the Wizardry on ps3. I bought the perfect pack, but I forget which one I'm playing now. But it's going really good - lots of fun!

If you ever get a hold of those iso's and feel friendly send me a message will ya. And if I manage to find anything on my end I'll definitely do the same.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
finished translating the battle engine text (all of it), and gonna do the rest of the jap text. Only thing I won't be able to translate will be a few of the "event tiles" inside dungeons which, when stepped on, usually give a cryptic hint.

(there are no NPCs to talk to in this game).

Screenshot%202017-05-04%2002.57.03_zpsti7skg11.png

Screenshot%202017-05-04%2013.59.51_zpswakg00bz.png
Screenshot%202017-05-04%2002.57.06_zps2umbjeed.png
Screenshot%202017-05-04%2013.59.28_zpsmauvqmyt.png
Screenshot%202017-05-04%2014.03.09_zps5lqb60xm.png
Screenshot%202017-05-04%2014.01.07_zpsfztrd3uf.png
Screenshot%202017-05-04%2014.00.08_zpslbkcaraf.png
Screenshot%202017-05-04%2013.59.56_zpszw2vyk6w.png

Dorarnae

Arbiter
finished translating the battle engine text (all of it), and gonna do the rest of the jap text. Only thing I won't be able to translate will be a few of the "event tiles" inside dungeons which, when stepped on, usually give a cryptic hint.

(there are no NPCs to talk to in this game).

only third dungeon have two puzzle . rest can be done without understanding japanese...you need to play the whole thing aweigh, that game is really great.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i've played the first two dungeons. only reason i stopped was because i got "obsessed" with translating the game + Five Ordeals. however, since then, i've found out the "dungeon event text" (such as the 3rd dungeon puzzle) are impossible to translate (at least with my limited skills) as that specific portion of the game text is compressed.

since then MrRichard999 floated me a copy of Five Ordeals and I started translating that but during a reformat I lost the copy he gave me. I fully agree this game (and FO) is one of the best Wiz games ever, right behind the Empire and the classic first five scenarios.

Er, i guess i'm just saying "yes dorarnae, I agree, and i will finish it!" :)

Virukansu

Literate
Hey aweigh, I've seen your work on the Japanese Wizardry games and I'm quite impressed. I was wondering if you could help with finding any source of Prisoners of the Battles? At this point I'm looking for any of the later Wiz games from Japan that are harder to get. Not even HG101 has more than an article stub about all these titles. Cheers!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
With the help of aweigh I have begun to translate this game. Shouldn't be difficult because a lot of the game is translated already, but This is my first project of this kind, so I decided to begin with something manageable.

5cfa31ebe0e34a1549c13cb0335d147e.png

As you see the option menu is already translated. The only options I don't know what they do are the "Stay evening" one and "fork items", those are placeholders with the google translations.

I think this game looks fantastic, so I'd like to contribute for its preservation. It's a shame is such a forgotten wizardry game

If someone wants the japanese ISO, PM me, because it's very difficult to find online.

I will work on it as fast as my work lets me, and II will keep you posted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom