Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment PS:T + Lustmord

zwanzig_zwoelf

Egosphere

Arcane
The only track in the final product that sounded like it had some lustmord influence was the one at the burning corpse bar/tavern

pomenitul

Arbiter
As much as I enjoy and respect Mark Morgan's soundtrack, he's no Lustmord. Perhaps we'll be able to mod the whole thing in at some point in the not too distant future.

grom

Educated
As much as I enjoy and respect Mark Morgan's soundtrack, he's no Lustmord.
I disagree. Mark Morgan's soundtrack fits PST perfectly in my opinion. Lustmord's stuff is more industrial and lacking in an emotional element that I think is very important in PST.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Lustmord's stuff is more industrial and lacking in an emotional element that I think is very important in PST.
Are you also on HRT pills and bursting with tears from just main theme?
You heard like ~3 minutes of Lustmords work and already draw conclusions going this far ahead? Also, Lustmords work does convey emotions, just not in-yo-face like in Mark Morgans soundtrack and have richer palette of them. That's besides the absolutely failed ambient part from Morgans side.

grom

Educated
You heard like ~3 minutes of Lustmords work and already draw conclusions going this far ahead?
I never stated I had only heard 3 minutes of Lustmord. Who's the one drawing conclusions here?

Also, Lustmords work does convey emotions
You're right. All music conveys emotion. I should have thought of a better way to phrase what I said.

Obviously I'm not referring to Lustmord's entire discography, which is quite extensive and varied AFAIR, but specifically the tracks posted in this thread which he worked on for PST. I like them, but find them be colder and more clinical than MM's music, which, IMO, makes them less fitting for a game like this.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Mark Morgan's soundtrack fits PST perfectly in my opinion. Lustmord's stuff is more industrial and lacking in an emotional element that I think is very important in PST.

Lustmord does bleak ambient, which wouldn't have necessarily worked in Torment : it's not Stalker for example where you have to roam around in big maps, allowing a certain mood to gradually seep in.
Morgan gave us the right amount of weird, but with still recognizable patterns and themes, which is precisely and exactly what the game needed.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I never stated I had only heard 3 minutes of Lustmord. Who's the one drawing conclusions here?
I said "work" regarding what he's done for PS:T. It's physically impossible to hear more, there's like three pieces available.
You're right. All music conveys emotion. I should have thought of a better way to phrase what I said.
I *know* what you're referring to, hence the choice of words I used before. Basically you refer to Morgan's music as a tearsaw to say bluntly.
Obviously I'm not referring to Lustmord's entire discography, which is quite extensive and varied AFAIR, but specifically the tracks posted in this thread which he worked on for PST. I like them, but find them be colder and more clinical than MM's music, which, IMO, makes them less fitting for a game like this.
Clinical you say? I think it's the opposite, the ambient piece has richer sound than say, morgans mortuary due to better use of better instruments. Battle theme is even more melodic and, say, emotional*personal* than a good chunk of Morgans battle themes. Trailer song is like trailers other content, just a concept.

It's better than song covers Mark did on Fallout but still, I don't think it's very fitting to PS:T either. He didn't have much time, I know he'd come up with richer and even more mature music if he was a part of the project from the beginning.

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Incidentally, I believe LM did the soundtrack to the film Stalker.

Yeah, an alternative one, with Robert Rich. Could have very well been Lustmord for the game too, it's so similar...

Last edited:

grom

Educated
I said "work" regarding what he's done for PS:T. It's physically impossible to hear more, there's like three pieces available.
In that case, isn't it totally fair to draw a conclusion? Am I supposed to base my opinion on unreleased stuff that no one has heard?

Basically you refer to Morgan's music as a tearsaw to say bluntly.
I'm not entirely sure what a tearsaw is, and couldn't find a meaning online. But if it's similar to "tear-jerker", then no, that's not what I meant. I just meant it carried more emotion than Lustmord's moodier, more textural stuff. As you said, MM's stuff is more "in-your-face", and I think that worked better for PST.

Zer0wing

Cipher
In that case, isn't it totally fair to draw a conclusion? Am I supposed to base my opinion on unreleased stuff that no one has heard?
You immideatly said that Lustmord wouldn't write more melodic stuff for key game events just because those three pieces flew over you head.
But if it's similar to "tear-jerker", then no, that's not what I meant. I just meant it carried more emotion than Lustmord's moodier, more textural stuff.
And I still think that's what you mean despite denying it because you like MM effort as it is despite that MMs soundtrack works in two modes, hollywooden tearjerker (yes, that's the term) and hollywooden one-note ambient. Lustmords stuff is not even moody, it sounds richer compared to MM ambient. Subjectively speaking.
I think that worked better for PST.
PS:T deserves more thorough approach tho.

grom

Educated
You immideatly said that Lustmord wouldn't write more melodic stuff for key game events

No I didn't, I said
Lustmord's stuff is more industrial and lacking in an emotional element that I think is very important in PST.
And I have already explained what I meant here, so no need to do so again.

And I still think that's what you mean despite denying it
If you're going to tell me my own opinion, then what's the point of debating with you?

Zer0wing

Cipher
And I have already explained what I meant here, so no need to do so again.
You said this while listening to ambient piece and a battle track, putting it against MMs Deionarra track. While ignoring signgificant drop in "soul" and "emotion" is respective MMs battle and ambient tracks. What right do you have to say Lustmord would do worse? The word "Industrial"? Idjt.
If you're going to tell me my own opinion, then what's the point of debating with you?
There's none if you continue to be yourself.

grom

Educated
While ignoring signgificant drop in "soul" and "emotion" is respective MMs battle and ambient tracks.
I ignored this perceived drop because I don't see it. I think the soundtrack is great in general.

What right do you have to say Lustmord would do worse?
What right do I need? It's my opinion, which I made based on the tracks I heard. By your logic what right do you have to say he would have done better?

The word "Industrial"? Idjt.
Sorry, wrong fucking adjective? What's your point here?

roshan

Arcane
The only track in the final product that sounded like it had some lustmord influence was the one at the burning corpse bar/tavern

That was the only track not composed by Mark Morgan, was done by someone named Richard Band.

roshan

Arcane
As much as I enjoy and respect Mark Morgan's soundtrack, he's no Lustmord.
I disagree. Mark Morgan's soundtrack fits PST perfectly in my opinion. Lustmord's stuff is more industrial and lacking in an emotional element that I think is very important in PST.

I thought it was incredible when I first played PST (I was 14), but now I find it too sappy and emo. The best composition in PST was the Smoldering Corpse Bar theme that was done by someone else.

I've also lost all respect for Mark Morgan. So much of his work in the Fallouts was just ripped off, and his recent soundtracks (Stalker/Wasteland 2/Torment Tides of Numenera) were totally useless.

grom

Educated
The best composition in PST was the Smoldering Corpse Bar theme that was done by someone else.
Yeah, that track stood out to me as particularly good also. I checked out that Richard Band guy, seems to be somewhat prolific but nothing else really of note.

I've also lost all respect for Mark Morgan. So much of his work in the Fallouts was just ripped off, and his recent soundtracks (Stalker/Wasteland 2/Torment Tides of Numenera) were totally useless.
Where did he rip the Fallout soundtrack from? I particularly like that soundtrack, so interested to hear where he got it from. Stalker OSTs weren't by him according to Wikipedia.

roshan

Arcane
The best composition in PST was the Smoldering Corpse Bar theme that was done by someone else.
Yeah, that track stood out to me as particularly good also. I checked out that Richard Band guy, seems to be somewhat prolific but nothing else really of note.

Where did he rip the Fallout soundtrack from? I particularly like that soundtrack, so interested to hear where he got it from. Stalker OSTs weren't by him according to Wikipedia.

You should check out the videos on YouTube, there's lots of them comparing Fallout tracks to dark ambient composers. I think Aphex Twin was the major one but others got ripped off too.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The older I get, the more I realize how overrated PS:T is.
Surely, it is a very good game, but it doesn't deserve Lustmord's music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom