Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment PS:T + Lustmord

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

i played torment long time ago but i dont recall a lot of scenes and locations from that trailer. especially that tomb with columns and that strange mechanism. is it early concepts,cut content or just scenes for trailer? sorry for offtopic:M

There were some discussions back in the day about it. The extra stuff is mostly content for the trailer, there wasn't any cut content about the tomb and the giant in the trailer.

Last edited:

iqzulk

Augur
I am here to report on what
little
progress I made. It's not much, since, frankly, I had other matters to attend to.

I contacted Kieron Gillen and through his support got in touch with RPS' Jim Rossignol. RPS will run a news piece after the petition launch (and Kieron said he'd retweet anything they write on the issue). I immediately sent a reply asking whether RPS would be interested in researching the subject in greater depths (interviews, etc.), whether I'm OK to contact other media sites in the same manner now that we had a "deal", and also sent all the factual information on the PS:T+Lustmord issue I managed to find on the Web (with prooflinks). I never received an answer, so I take it that no, they are not interested, and yes, I am OK to contact other media sites. I also don't want to push my luck sending another letter, since Jim Rossignol's letter to me was literally just one line (besides obvious "Hi, Alex" and "Jim").

I sent emails to Chris Avellone and Guido Henkel - and attempted to contact Eric Campanella via YT PM. As of right now, I only ever received Chris' letter, in which he told that he doesn't remember how Lustmord's soundtrack sounded at all, but he'd love to hear the tracks. He also told that the audio dpt in Interplay was kind of its own thing, and he was too much into writing at the moment, so he doesn't know any specifics as to how exactly the switch occurred. I am not really sure any part of his answer could be used as any kind of endorsement in the petition, but, I think, retweet on Chris' part would be pretty likely.
And there would also be a news piece on a Russian site nobody here probably cares about.
That's basically all. I had waited for the second Jim Rossignol's answer (which never came, as I've said earlier) till last Wednesday - and since then I had other matters that occupied my mind and my time.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm jumping from this wagon or anything - and I certainly do intend to further participate in the matter. BUT what I'm saying is that all of you would have a much more solid chance to see all the promotional things to the conclusion and to get the thing actually done, if this was a collective coordinated effort.

What still needs to be done? Contacting Eurogamer/Polygon/Edge/Kotaku/Escapist (whose else?) representatives. Contacting Matt Barton, Spoony, TotalBisquit (this one could be particularly tricky to get in touch with), some other popular YT entertainers, who are likely to be interested in promoting this matter. Finding contacts for creating NeoGAF and SomethingAwful threads after the petition launch.

I would certainly share any of the original email texts (my initial email to Kieron first and foremost - since it already "worked" both for Kieron and Jim, and as such could serve as a basis for emails to other aforementioned parties) with any of those who are interested in active participation - in private conversation(s) only though. And I certainly do intend to get in touch with at least a couple of the aforementioned parties this week.

But, yeah, your participation would be much appreciated - not to mention that it would help to achieve the result much quicker and with much more certainty.

EDIT (Nov,29): No answers from editors-in-chief of either Kotaku or EDGE (yeah, who would've thought). Point taken. Will get back to working personal angles whenever possible from Monday (don't want for an email to get lost in the heap in case the receiver just doesn't read his work mail on weekends), people without personal connection to the game are apparently just not interested in the slightest. Pity I didn't write to Matt this week.

Last edited:

hexer

I have two short songs he made for PST. These songs aren't on his Metavoid album. I can post them online if anyone wants to hear them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I have two short songs he made for PST. These songs aren't on his Metavoid album. I can post them online if anyone wants to hear them.
Are you seriously asking this question in a thread where everyone is masturbating hard about lustmord's PST music ?

DO EEEEET !

So, how did you happen to get hold of these songs ?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So this guy does not care to sell the music and does not want to put any effort... then why not release it for free for, clearly, a lot of fans? If he thinks it sucks and not worth buying, why holding it hostage?
(Also I am sure even approaching GOG to add the "lost" soundtrack as a goodie, could earn him something.)

iqzulk

Augur
That would be really awesome! But yeah, any hints to what your sources were?

So this guy does not care to sell the music and does not want to put any effort... then why not release it for free for, clearly, a lot of fans? If he thinks it sucks and not worth buying, why holding it hostage
Well, I think, because he doesn't know, if it COULD, potentially, get him some money in the future. Then again, it might just be that he thinks that releasing the soundtrack == "unreadable format, remastering, full-fledged release, bandcamp, hnnnnnnng, not worth my time". I am actually not sure if it occurred to him, that he could just dump the "unreadable" files (which are perfectly readable, in case they are just .acm+.mus combos, which they probably are, using fan tools) into the Web without any effort (I mean, remastering, etc.) whatsoever other than digging those files up and uploading them to whatever - and it would be perfectly fine for the said fans.

Again, if he catches the wind of the upcoming petition and the stuff, it might occur to him, if I suggest to him to release the stuff for free as is, that I/we is/are the cheap fuck/s trying to trick him into releasing-for-free something that COULD earn him some money after all.

However, I think, what makes sense is writing to him via an email right prior to launching the petition (when all the agreements with media representatives are in place), explaining outright that there are basically two options, and asking about which one he would prefer to pursue.
1) We launch the petition demanding for either an outright release of the remaster or a Kickstarter campaign for said remaster, such and such media representatives are interested and will spread the word. Then I'll outright ask him (once again) to disclose a concrete number of signatures that the petition will need to get for him to seriously consider taking his time to remaster and release the damn thing; as well as suggest that making any sort of official statement regarding the petition after its launch or, maybe, an RPS interview about the "lost" PS:T soundtrack (again, after the petition launch) will probably get much more attention (and, thus, much more signatures) to it, then it would otherwise.
2) He would prefer just to skip all the hassle and to dump all the files he has on the project into the Web for the fans to make sense of them for themselves (and at this point I'll ask for confirmation of whether those files are indeed .acm+.mus combos). If he makes this move, I'll make sure, that ALL the media representatives I will already have agreements with at that moment, will write about this thing (together with the link to his Metavoid bandcamp page or whatever), thus earning him a fair chunk of free promotion outside of his normal fanbase for basically no current effort on his part at all. Again, also suggestions of statements/interviews for even more free self-promotion.
Then we'll just see, what he replies, I guess. And yes, this time, I'll keep the message as brief and up to the point as possible.
And if there won't be any answer at all, then it's petition time.

(Also I am sure even approaching GOG to add the "lost" soundtrack as a goodie, could earn him something.)
Yeah, you have a point (I mean, about contacting GOG). At the very least they could have some advice as to how to handle the situation.

P.S. Got reeeeeally sidetracked once again. Oh, and Matt Barton is on board for the petition. Also, managed to establish contact with Guido Henkel, who even asked me for the link to this thread (which I sent him), but didn't reply back again (which is totally understandable, since, you know, he's been busy with the Deathfire-related stuff). I'll get back to it (starting from contacting Guido once again, contacting Eurogamer, and contacting GOG representatives for some advise as suggested above) right after the holidays.

hexer

The songs were released by BIS in 1998 (or was it 1999) as a preview of "things to expect."
I don't have his permission to repost them here but I could ask him on his forum maybe. BIS already released them, so where would my repost legally stand?

Both songs share the title "Concept for Torment" and one is 1:18 (battle music) while the other one is 0:28 (faction music). He's listed as Brian Williams.

It's not really weird that I have these songs as I'm a die-hard Planescape collector (TSR and PST stuff) hehe. I don't think many people have seen the original Nameless One for example. Eddie Rainwater was behind those sprites.

eeFxOWj.jpg

peVvwIT.gif

I0fDiz1.gif

Z3ADRTA.gif

4netpCU.gif

roshan

Arcane
The Battle Concept Music and Faction Concept Music were downloadable from Gamebanshee, Fileplanet, Planetbaldursgate until recently but seem to no longer be available. I still have copies of them though.

I also have eight files that are in mid format that I think were early concepts for the Brian Williams soundtrack which I downloaded from somewhere a long fucking time ago. Or maybe they were early concepts by Mark Morgan. Dunno.

EDIT: Sorry, the concepts are most likely by Morgan, I just listened to one of the files and it's pretty much the same as the main theme in the final game, except using .mid synths.

Last edited:

throwaway

Cipher
How old is that original TNO image+sprites? The pdf of the vision doc that was released in 2007 already had some concept art which has TNO in his final version.

hexer

Forgot to post this one

gFokgVt.jpg

One for the laughs

5tZ0HbN.jpg

The Battle Concept Music and Faction Concept Music were downloadable from Gamebanshee, Fileplanet, Planetbaldursgate until recently but seem to no longer be available. I still have copies of them though.

We have to preserve the historical files for future cRPG generations! :salute:

I also have eight files that are in mid format that I think were early concepts for the Brian Williams soundtrack which I downloaded from somewhere a long fucking time ago. Or maybe they were early concepts by Mark Morgan. Dunno.

I had those before my hard-drive died a sudden death. We should ask his permission for those files as well.

That is some good shit, please post more about it hexer!

How about sharing that stuff with codex bros if you know what I mean hehe

Hehe, I'll share what I can but I can't give all - I have two Planescape Sketchbooks stored inside a bank's safe. They were so expensive and rare I had to put them away.

iqzulk

Augur
The filenames of those two tracks are "torment_batt01" and "torment_fact01" (I don't think permission is needed to post the filenames). It's still actually possible to find them on the Web, despite the Fileplanet and Interplay_FTP links being down, BTW.

Now, those midi-tracks are another story.

Or maybe they were early concepts by Mark Morgan. Dunno.

EDIT: Sorry, the concepts are most likely by Morgan, I just listened to one of the files and it's pretty much the same as the main theme in the final game, except using .mid synths.
That's weird, as Morgan said in one of the interviews that he did all the work over the course of two weeks. When did he find the time to post midi-drafts? (googlegooglegoogle) Wait, was it by any chance this MIDI? Then it was apparently created by someone, called Eraxel:
Diese Midi-Version des Planescape: Torment Mainthemes wurde von Eraxel erstellt! Hört mal rein!
Googletranslate:
These MIDI version of Planescape: Torment Main Themes created by Eraxel! Listen to it!

roshan

Arcane
The filenames of those two tracks are "torment_batt01" and "torment_fact01" (I don't think permission is needed to post the filenames). It's still actually possible to find them on the Web, despite the Fileplanet and Interplay_FTP links being down, BTW.

Now, those midi-tracks are another story.

That's weird, as Morgan said in one of the interviews that he did all the work over the course of two weeks. When did he find the time to post midi-drafts? (googlegooglegoogle) Wait, was it by any chance this MIDI? Then it was apparently created by someone, called Eraxel:
Googletranslate:

Ah, you're right, that's the one! I was quite confused since I had this file which sounded exactly like what ended up in the game while the other 7 mid files don't sound like any of the final tracks at all. I think the other 7 are probably Brian Williams concepts.

roshan

Arcane
The titles of the tracks are battle1, battle2, battle3, hades, intro, mood, options.

hexer

physical stuff

Do you happen to collect the BloodWars CCG as well? Besides having almost completed that, I only have a PST mousepad... :(

Yeah, I have 800+ of those cards. My collection isn't complete though - damn those uber-rare cards!

Also, this obscure info from Guido's IGN interview must be spread around. I've never seen anyone mention it.

Guido Henkel said:
Instead of the traditional RPG method of gaining skills through experience, 'the Nameless One' will become more advanced through memories and recollections. "A single memory may increase your character by five levels instantly because he has done everything. He has been around for 10,000 years. He's been a 25th level Mage, and 25th level Fighter, and 25th level Thief, and a 25th level Cleric," said Henkel. "He already has the experience, he just has to trigger the memories of his former lives to regain those skills."

Also, I've read somewhere that the reason you cannot beceome a cleric in the game is because the Nameless One was once a divine being (deity or perhaps a proxy) and thus cannot commit to worship another deity. I've read it recently but I can't remember where at the moment. I'll try to find the source.

The titles of the tracks are battle1, battle2, battle3, hades, intro, mood, options.

Found them! Thank you bro!

http://bootstrike.com/NO_DIRECT_LINK_Pls_mn3/torment/ptmusic.zip

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom