Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Zomboid

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A new indie game's making some waves. It's Project Zomboid!

It's sort of like dwarf fortress meets left 4 dead. There's a pre-alpha tech demo out, which you can get by either buying one of their other games (which incidentially includes lifetime subscription to Project Zomboid as a way to avoid google shutting down their account for selling an unfinished product). There's also a mirror up at the Buccaneer Cove if you want to try before you buy. At the moment, it's somewhat limited. There's a huge city, zombies milling about. You can forage for food and supplies, get injured, find other survivors and kill them to take their stuff. There's a tutorial at the beginning where you have to tend to your injured wife and a rather dark way to skip it. There's a rudimentary crafting system, allowing you to make everything from soup to molotov cocktails.

The graphics are isometric and overall feel quite reminiscent of the first two XCOM games.

The blog and patch notes are talking about adding skills and perks as well as friendly NPCs that can join you and dynamically generated quests. People might crack under pressure and go insane. Good stuff. There's no saving/loading. It's all ironman, and you're going to die. There's no helicopter coming to save you, no magical zombie cure It's all about setting up the best fortifications in a house you can, scavenging for dwindling supplies and seeing how far you make it before the zombies get you.

If you want an early taste of that thing Cleve was talking about, this might be ITZ. In before someone mods the zombie sprites to look like negroes with machetes.

2ede0_197401-zomboidHED.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

As much as I'm a Steamwhore I'm sorely tempted to snag a copy of this. Think I'll wait at least until they do an official open demo though, kinda wanna see how fast they work so I don't spend $8 on vaporware.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Jaesun said:
Does this actually have stats and stat based skills?

At the moment, no. There's a 27mb leaked version out on the various torrent sites which I gave a spin. I'm not planning to pay for this until they get a few more features in.

They're talking about adding friendly NPCs (at the moment, all I've seen are zombies and survivors who shoot on sight) with different skills to join you if you'r einclined to go at it as a group. They're also talking about adding skills and perks so you can learn things like medicine or marksmanship, but it's not implemented at the moment. If they get PCS, impromptu missions, a map and skills/perks implemented, this'll definately be a must-get. If they add co-op multiplayer on top, it just might become the BEST THING EVAR.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ulminati said:
Jaesun said:
Does this actually have stats and stat based skills?

At the moment, no. There's a 27mb leaked version out on the various torrent sites which I gave a spin. I'm not planning to pay for this until they get a few more features in.

They're talking about adding friendly NPCs (at the moment, all I've seen are zombies and survivors who shoot on sight) with different skills to join you if you'r einclined to go at it as a group. They're also talking about adding skills and perks so you can learn things like medicine or marksmanship, but it's not implemented at the moment. If they get PCS, impromptu missions, a map and skills/perks implemented, this'll definately be a must-get. If they add co-op multiplayer on top, it just might become the BEST THING EVAR.

Well the leak version is very very low on features.

crazy_dave

Educated
Yeah, this game looks promising. Can anyone say if there is any point in hammering the first intruder before he kills your wife, because it seems to me that she doesn't talk anymore, whether you save her or not... Can you do anything with her (except bandage her and give her painkillers in the tutorial), feed her etc...?

Eyeball

Arcane
Pirated this the other day. Has great music and does the feeling of isolation well, but the interface is sort of unwieldy, the combat clunky and it just doesn't seem as smooth or fun as it could be. The graphics are also too Sims-like for my tastes and don't really fit the zombocalypse very well, IMO. Finally, I dislike games where the goal is simply to NOT DIE for as long as possible, which seems to be what this one is aiming for.

I would not pay money for this game, personally. For a more interesting free-roaming zombocalypse experience, try Survival Crisis Z by Skasoftware. More grim, oppressive atmosphere, more action and a large variety of weapons and items to use.

MCA
Graphics look good and the interface very functional but it would have looked better if it was round based (the way Teudogar is, eg. the moment you take an action, everybody else does, so there's no sequence and you can play very smoothly without any waiting). If it were more fast-paced and arcadey, like Survival Crisis Z, real-time might have been ok, I guess.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not a bad question, actually - the stupid bastard who made this, Manic Space, Blood Zero and the Zombie Smashers series has for some inexplicable reason decided to disown these great games and not even offer download links to them anymore on his website (www.skasoftware.com), opting instead to pimp his shitty Xbox Live games.

I've been looking for a working copy of Manic Space for ages myself, and I was more than happy to buy it the first time it was released.

Edit: Well, way to make me look fucking stupid, Villain.

Luzur

Good Sir
crazy_dave said:
Yeah, this game looks promising. Can anyone say if there is any point in hammering the first intruder before he kills your wife, because it seems to me that she doesn't talk anymore, whether you save her or not... Can you do anything with her (except bandage her and give her painkillers in the tutorial), feed her etc...?

well it is a demo, so prob no C&C at all with it.

but you will be alone.

Eyeball

Arcane
God dammit, the version of Ninjastarmageddon (AKA Manic Space) in that file dump's just a demo. How the hell am I going to get to play a game I already bought once....

Stynes

Barely Literate
graphix hurts my eyes lol. is this for SNES? who makes games for SNES anymore? that is an obsolete console. get it? OBSOLETE.

MCA
Eyeball said:
Not a bad question, actually - the stupid bastard who made this, Manic Space, Blood Zero and the Zombie Smashers series has for some inexplicable reason decided to disown these great games and not even offer download links to them anymore on his website (www.skasoftware.com), opting instead to pimp his shitty Xbox Live games.

I've been looking for a working copy of Manic Space for ages myself, and I was more than happy to buy it the first time it was released.

Edit: Well, way to make me look fucking stupid, Villain.

But you are correct, games section of his website doesn't even make any mention of the game. I don't know about others but I find his other games to be utter shit. Very boring and terribad. His initial remake attempt for SCZ looked like shit too. Perhaps SCZ was an accident? Maybe he was high at the time or maybe somebody else helped him do it or what have you.

Multi-headed Cow

Multi-headed Cow said:
As much as I'm a Steamwhore I'm sorely tempted to snag a copy of this. Think I'll wait at least until they do an official open demo though, kinda wanna see how fast they work so I don't spend $8 on vaporware.
GOOD NEWS, MULTI-HEADED COW! Zomboid is coming to Steam, and your purchase will let you swap your account from them for a Steam key! Joyous day!
http://theindiestone.com/community/view ... =21&t=2543

Edit: Oh yeah. And all you jerks who don't like Steam will be happy, since it apparently will still be sold by the developers themselves, and on/through Desura, so there will be non-Steam options. Everyone should be happy!

Multi-headed Cow

Just an update on this game, it is almost entirely unchanged from the "Pre-alpha" tech demo put up ages ago. A few relatively minor additions have been made thus far. They claim they've been putting a lot of work into systems that will let them add actual content to the game in a faster manner, but that hasn't showed up yet.

They've also been monumentally slow in releasing updates. The previous update took a massive amount of time, and if you check out Zomboid's blog over http://projectzomboid.com/blog/ nyah, you can see mention of the current update back at September 23rd saying it would release early that week. Naturally, it hasn't been released yet. In fact in their latest blog post they've disabled comments, presumably because too many people were calling them shitheads for acting like updates are just around the corner when they aren't.

At one point they had a system running where you could get your money back if you so desired. Didn't do that since the game was $8 and the payment was via Google Checkout which I don't use for anything (I assume the money would get stuck in that). Definitely regretting snagging it so early though. Might be cool in the future but they've been absolutely terrible at hitting their own mentioned release dates. Bros don't let bros spend $8 on shifty indies, bros.

Multi-headed Cow

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.ph ... statement/

So their computers got stolen with the new update. Why do I feel like they made a tech demo and ran off with everyone's $8 and are doing whatever it is brits do with money. I guess spend it on tea and orphans to make their tea.

I THREW MY EIGHT DOLLARS AWAY LIKE A FOOLISH FOOL

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Sorry about your wasted $8 but this is a most hilarious development. :lol:

Did they already use the marriage/divorce excuse?

Multi-headed Cow

Check the forum if you want more drama. The two developers who got robbed are having a meltdown and cursing the people who bought the game.

There was more on twitter I guess but the guy deleted his account or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom