Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Project Resurgence - cRPG inspired by Fallout and Arcanum

ArchAngel

Arcane
The guy behind the project is a big personality on Twitch and you can expect this to be funded probably within few days.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Has there been any ´episodic` cRPG kickstarter that has delivered anything?

Also
  • Switch freely between Turn-Based and Real-Time Combat modes when violence breaks out. Change modes at any time to always handle danger at your preferred pace.

Why, just fucking why? :argh:

Keldryn

Arcane
That running animation is painful to watch. Seriously, it's not that hard to adjust the characters' movement speed in the world to match their run/walk animations. Or just use root motion; Unreal Engine supports it. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not a difficult change to make -- why not fix it before showing the game off to the public?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
O.K. the first glance looked interesting, but I think they got some very wrong ideas.

Create your custom hero, choosing from a variety of options to specify Sex, Gender (preferred pronoun), Tribe, Background, Quirks, and Appearance.
Lumen is a land of diversity, with many backgrounds and beliefs intermingling throughout it and people of all types calling it home. Reflecting the design of Lumen itself, we want to give players the freedom to create a character wholly like them, unlike them, or anywhere in between.

Players choose their character’s tribe, sex, gender identification, and skin tone. We also hope to achieve a respectful representation of characters through appropriate functional clothing and armor design. We’re planning for a variety of romance options and relationship choices to represent all walks of life.

With Project Resurgence, we want to create a game that everyone can explore and lose themselves in. And allow everyone to create a character that they feel best represents them in the world.

I don't mind the "diversity" angle per se, but it feels, that it's merely done to check off some bullet points. It could actually be interesting to reintroduce the long missed "sex" along the standard "gender", but not if it's just to ensure the LARP'ing player's preferred pronouns are used. Also why does a character have to "represent" the player?

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
It could actually be interesting to reintroduce the long missed "sex" along the standard "gender", but not if it's just to ensure the LARP'ing player's preferred pronouns are used. Also why does a character have to "represent" the player?

Erm i'm an old dog and an ignorant fuck but when did gender stop meaning sex?

Catfish

Learned
If you’ve read this far [...into the feature list/pitch], hopefully you’re frothing at the mouth to get your hands on this little project of ours. (c) Robert Buchheit, creative director

Gives an insight on how "inspired" the production is, eh?

Also, what's with the Jeff Goldblum epigraph? :) https://youtu.be/5yFmwCZ6Bws?t=6s

Best of luck to the devs, though. I will be genuinely surprised if this turns out half decent.

Shin

Cipher
For some reason I think it's tasteless that such a non-existent development company fills up their KS page with hundreds of tiers and social media integration for unlocking rewards and whatever. I liked how Larian (for example) just had a main goal for Divinity 2 and only got to adding fancy additions -after- they reached their goal, despite already having funded a huge successful kickstarter.

But yea, project looks okayish I guess. Not going to back it but it'll probably turn out better than SCS (reminds me the most of that tbh). One thing I'm wondering about is who those 'industry veterans' are that they're talking about. Do they include people who worked in heavy industry (factories and steel mills)?

edit: nvm the ks page has some names on it

Chris Jones: art team for Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment. He has also worked for Shiny and Double Helix
Seth Black: joining shortly after leaving Timegate (Kohan RTS, FEAR FPS, Alien: Colonial Marines FPS)
Kelly Herreid: Lead Writer (can't find any studios/projects she worked on)
Nik Hagialas: lead Concept Artist (can't find any game projects he worked on, did find his portfolio, he likes elvish bewbs)

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That running animation is painful to watch. Seriously, it's not that hard to adjust the characters' movement speed in the world to match their run/walk animations. Or just use root motion; Unreal Engine supports it. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not a difficult change to make -- why not fix it before showing the game off to the public?

Is the transform speed the problem?
The walk animation looks spastic and jerky as fuck but the movement speed didn't seem too bad.. It was hard to judge because the scenes were so quick. I only saw a few loops.

Keldryn

Arcane
Is the transform speed the problem?
The walk animation looks spastic and jerky as fuck but the movement speed didn't seem too bad.. It was hard to judge because the scenes were so quick. I only saw a few loops.

It looked to me like the movement animations (at least the running animation) had the characters' feet hitting the ground too quickly compared to the speed at which the model was moving across the screen. So it had that detached "skating" look to it. I think it was more noticeable in their Kickstarter pitch video. But it makes the game look amateurish, and it's the sort of thing that should be fixed for a public presentation, even if you end up doing a quick-and-dirty hack that you'll discard when the presentation is done. The party members were also following too closely at times, nearly running into each other. But getting pathfinding and follow behavior working smoothly isn't the most trivial of tasks.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It looked to me like the movement animations (at least the running animation) had the characters' feet hitting the ground too quickly compared to the speed at which the model was moving across the screen.

I was giggling maniacally when I was watching them run. They slam their feet down and jerk around as if they deleted 20 keyframes randomly in the animation before exporting.
:lol:

Catfish

Learned
I was giggling maniacally when I was watching them run. They slam their feet down and jerk around as if they deleted 20 keyframes randomly in the animation before exporting.

I don't understand why this is the thing that caught everyone's eye when the big cringeworthy part of this whole pitch is the lore.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I don't understand why this is the thing that caught everyone's eye when the big cringeworthy part of this whole pitch is the lore.

As Keldryn said, these are systemic issues that speak to the quality as a whole. Anyone can sit down and pen a story, if they can't even take the time to do some quality assurance on their own trailer (the best foot forward bullshot) what possible quality can you expect after they have your money?

TL;DR I watched the video on mute just to see the fucked up walk animation everyone was talking about.

Keldryn

Arcane

I said my piece on the lore several months back. I skipped over it completely this time because I remember how cringeworthy it is.

As Keldryn said, these are systemic issues that speak to the quality as a whole. Anyone can sit down and pen a story, if they can't even take the time to do some quality assurance on their own trailer (the best foot forward bullshot) what possible quality can you expect after they have your money?

The word "systemic" has been forever ruined for me thanks to the various -isms that view everything as a social construct.

Look what I found in stretch goals section :
d19456ce1f623e02e489d3ef40410221_original.png

Guys started with a good faux pas. Now we know how quickly they are expecting to be funded :)

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
O.K. the first glance looked interesting, but I think they got some very wrong ideas.

Create your custom hero, choosing from a variety of options to specify Sex, Gender (preferred pronoun), Tribe, Background, Quirks, and Appearance.
Lumen is a land of diversity, with many backgrounds and beliefs intermingling throughout it and people of all types calling it home. Reflecting the design of Lumen itself, we want to give players the freedom to create a character wholly like them, unlike them, or anywhere in between.

Players choose their character’s tribe, sex, gender identification, and skin tone. We also hope to achieve a respectful representation of characters through appropriate functional clothing and armor design. We’re planning for a variety of romance options and relationship choices to represent all walks of life.

With Project Resurgence, we want to create a game that everyone can explore and lose themselves in. And allow everyone to create a character that they feel best represents them in the world.

I don't mind the "diversity" angle per se, but it feels, that it's merely done to check off some bullet points. It could actually be interesting to reintroduce the long missed "sex" along the standard "gender", but not if it's just to ensure the LARP'ing player's preferred pronouns are used. Also why does a character have to "represent" the player?

Mhm mhm.

TBH this seemed a cute little project, until I've read a number of details that made quite a few alarms go off in my head:

+ All of that stuff tha vonAchdorf also quoted and pointed out.

+ Episodic: I have little tolerance for DLCs, let alone "Episodic" games. Furthermore, I can't think of a single "episodic" game so far that didn't turn out to be utter shit. Last, normal game tend to suffer from "great beginning, ok mid-game, rushed ending" syndrome already, and this usually gets REALLY bad with episodic games (inb4 some genius mentions some TellTale shit as a counterpoint LOL).

+ "Inspirations: Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Baldur’s Gate, Fallout, The Witcher, Fullmetal Alchemist, Legend of Korra, and The Dark Tower. "

:baka::desu:

We need a new thread tag for this kind of releases, called "torrentware" "trybeforeyoubuyware" or something like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom