Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Project Resurgence - cRPG inspired by Fallout and Arcanum

Trip

Learned
This sounds like a complete mess. By the way, I seriously think that ANY KS buzzword-infested project should go with a detailed description of its pipeline and work processes because otherwise I'm not touching it with a hundred-foot pole. I'm just not getting an ounce of professionalism from any of this so far, and that's apart from the "writing" and "worldbuilding" I saw on the previous pages.

By the way, I'm coming out and saying I'm all for "inclusiveness" - by which I mean equal, socially aware treatment of cultures, genders, etc. Which, on the other hand, does NOT fucking mean 80s punk haircuts, strong-by-numbers women and peaceful multi-ethnic cities. If anything, decent social awareness would highlight the problems in this sort of situation, not the opposite. Honestly, all of this makes me itch to make a game. If people capable of such roadkill of a game concept are seriously doing it...

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To make real time combat you need to decouple your turn system from AP system or whatever currency of time you use and base your real time system on turn based one not the other way around.
Why do you think the AP system itself is the problem?
It was nonsense in Arcanum because the real-time version was just far, far too fast to work. Everything was going on so quickly that it ws impossible to do anything. Not even mentioning how hilarious dagger useage looked.

But I don't see why a real-time version of an AP-based turn based system could not work in general.

The idea to use the AP system as a speed modificator seems reasonable.

ArchAngel

Arcane
in the comments of that video they said they will have a playable demo this year

Epsilon

Cipher
Theres a severe degree of name dropping going on with all these kickstarter projects now, especially for those projects by unknown developers with little experience. And usually it's clear that they've no idea what the core values of the games their project is supposed to be inspired by are.

The writing in this post is like the writing you can find in such games as X-Com, Fallout, Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate.
*updated my journal*

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless a new game with nothing really clear about it, which name-drops classics, is announced as "a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate", I'm not interested.

Lhynn

Arcane
Makes you appreciate how the guys making Black Geyser actually had their shit together by comparison.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Makes you appreciate how the guys making Black Geyser actually had their shit together by comparison.
Don't talk like that before the Big (White) Eruption from that Black Gayser. I still trust this project more, at least in this game the BBeG will not be tadadada.. GREED!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, this was pre pre alpha :D

I hope they don't go to KS based on this Video lol. Sometimes promises of a good game are better than showing this..

roshan

Arcane
Looks pretty ugly, the animations are silly, and seeing those 3 characters keep running around like that doesn't really look like compelling gameplay. I wonder why people still make 3D isometric games. If you're doing isometric, it should be 2D.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looks pretty ugly, the animations are silly, and seeing those 3 characters keep running around like that doesn't really look like compelling gameplay. I wonder why people still make 3D isometric games. If you're doing isometric, it should be 2D.
That doesn't look isometric.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Inspired by arcanum? It's like cooking a burger and saying you were inspired by McDonald's. Even if they live up to their ideals, this game is going to be dreadful. File this turd-to-be under "planescape" along with the other terrible ideas.

Drowed

Arcane
Strangely... It looks a lot like Wasteland 2 - the UI, keyword dialogue, and general ugliness. It's more colorful, however.

But that real-time combad looks so, SO bad. I can't say that this gives me some hope.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
This isn't isometric, it's not even parallel projection. It's fucking perspective projection with camera above characters. :triggered:

Ayreos

Augur
Perhaps all these people trying to make "spiritual successors" should be told that when the likes of BG or PS:T were made, their developers weren't trying to make a shitty "successor" as much as trying to make "an awesome, deep RPG".
Also, i do believe you start with a good writer. Theirs is a hack. You can polish mechanics, but you can't polish a dumb writer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I want to apologize to the Codex for ever opening this topic and talking about this :decline:

Caconym

Savant
:incloosive:

and Episodic, fuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom