Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm cautiously optimistic. Let's see if there's some spunk in them still!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Am I the only one who is completely turned off by the supposed setting? I dunno if it's the taint of Mass Effect, but space dramas seem so bleh now. To make a space setting actually interesting, you have to have actual mystery and suspence and good science fiction, which I don't expect to get from video games that much.

They should have gone with the million and one interesting settings on Earth.

...what setting? We know next to nothing about this other than that it's a fairly big budget multiplatform action RPG that’s a new IP, but we don't even know if the name Obsidian trademarked will be the game's title.

We’re assuming it’s science fiction from “The Outer Worlds” and the fact that Tim Cain made one reference to wanting to make a science fiction game on social media four years ago. But it could be something totally different.

Are you saying you don’t like any science fiction settings or just space opera? The whole game could be set on one planet or a space station or a Dyson sphere.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's going to be a Star Wars knock-off and you know it.

We need one to be honest. Disney's handling of the setting has been a disaster.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will be most likely a nu mass erect. Andromeda was a shit and opened the market for a new,possible good space pew pew game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's fine because Star Wars is more space fantasy than science fiction. :P

Gaider struggled with writing until they told him to just think of it as a fantasy game with space magic.

Latelistener

Arcane
Am I the only one who is completely turned off by the supposed setting?
If you're talking about that sci-fi book with the same name found on Amazon, I think it's just a coincidence. It's being said that it's a new IP made by Cainarsky.
Personally, I don't believe it's a space opera. I don't even think that it's a pure sci-fi.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who is completely turned off by the supposed setting? I dunno if it's the taint of Mass Effect, but space dramas seem so bleh now. To make a space setting actually interesting, you have to have actual mystery and suspence and good science fiction, which I don't expect to get from video games that much.

They should have gone with the million and one interesting settings on Earth.

...what setting? We know next to nothing about this other than that it's a fairly big budget multiplatform action RPG that’s a new IP, but we don't even know if the name Obsidian trademarked will be the game's title.

We’re assuming it’s science fiction from “The Outer Worlds” and the fact that Tim Cain made one reference to wanting to make a science fiction game on social media four years ago. But it could be something totally different.

Are you saying you don’t like any science fiction settings or just space opera? The whole game could be set on one planet or a space station or a Dyson sphere.

Well, basically, a space setting where you travel around in spaceships and interact with aliens, etc.

Look, I happen to love good science fiction, but I think it's generally a better fit for books and movies than for video games. My favorite sci-fi stuff has a lot of mystery and scientific ideas, and stuff like that, which is hard to emphasize in a video game. So sci-fi games tend to end up like Grand Theft Alien as you fly around in spaceships and kill aliens (and bioware romance), which wastes the setting and its nuances.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd be totally fine with a well-done space opera game. I'm just not sure it's feasible. Have we ever seen one in western games?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
...are you kidding? KoTOR 2.

Depends on who you ask really.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=122
After the unfortunate end of Black Isle Studios, many people were quite distraught because two promising projects from Interplay's RPG development arm were canned. Therefore, a lot of people were happy when most of the BIS team reformed as Obsidian Entertainment. All the cool features and storylines promised in the aborted games for Interplay--surely they'd be back in the fantastic and innovative games that Obsidian would make once it was free of Interplay?

The short answer is: no. Despite being unburdened of Interplay's incompetence, Obsidian now had to deal with the issues of being an independent developer with no funds. So, they relied on the connections they'd made during their BIS days and announced... Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Okay, so they'd be stuck with a shitty engine making a console game that was a sequel to one of the most bland and uninspired games in years. Still, there was the potential to make something of it, right?

Well, there was, but the combined efforts of Obsidian and LucasArts completely squandered it. Obsidian could be blamed for the game's longwinded and pretentious philosophical/psychobabble ramblings, unoriginal plot ("go to these four planets and find these four words of power star maps Jedi masters!") and complete lack of balance. LucasArts could be blamed for the game's notorious bugginess, rushed development cycle and thus its lack of a real ending. The end result is a game that's just terrible. To LucasArts' credit, though, it seems like KOTOR2 would have been terrible even without their efforts to ruin it since the designers of the game apparently completely missed the point of Star Wars: no-brainer space opera where you divert the viewer/player's attention from questions of morality and philosophy and towards the laser swords and space battles.

Kreia is an enormous bitch and probably the thing that's easiest to hate about KOTOR2

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

After the unfortunate end of Black Isle Studios, many people were quite distraught because two promising projects from Interplay's RPG development arm were canned. Therefore, a lot of people were happy when most of the BIS team reformed as Obsidian Entertainment. All the cool features and storylines promised in the aborted games for Interplay--surely they'd be back in the fantastic and innovative games that Obsidian would make once it was free of Interplay?

The short answer is: no. Despite being unburdened of Interplay's incompetence, Obsidian now had to deal with the issues of being an independent developer with no funds. So, they relied on the connections they'd made during their BIS days and announced... Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Okay, so they'd be stuck with a shitty engine making a console game that was a sequel to one of the most bland and uninspired games in years. Still, there was the potential to make something of it, right?

Well, there was, but the combined efforts of Obsidian and LucasArts completely squandered it. Obsidian could be blamed for the game's longwinded and pretentious philosophical/psychobabble ramblings, unoriginal plot ("go to these four planets and find these four words of power star maps Jedi masters!") and complete lack of balance. LucasArts could be blamed for the game's notorious bugginess, rushed development cycle and thus its lack of a real ending. The end result is a game that's just terrible. To LucasArts' credit, though, it seems like KOTOR2 would have been terrible even without their efforts to ruin it since the designers of the game apparently completely missed the point of Star Wars: no-brainer space opera where you divert the viewer/player's attention from questions of morality and philosophy and towards the laser swords and space battles.

Kreia is an enormous bitch and probably the thing that's easiest to hate about KOTOR2

Is this what the oldfags mean when they talk about the good old days? Call me unimpressed. Apparently Black Isle just made hackish BioWare knockoffs—who knew?

Plenty of things to dislike about the game, especially before modders fixed it, but “moral ambiguity in mah Star Wars” is not one of them. I guess some people really do not enjoy MCA’s characters, but I have a hard time taking them seriously.

Anyway, if Tim’s game is a Star Wars knockoff, it will be more like Down and Out in Mos Eisley than riding around on a space ship.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Is this what the oldfags mean when they talk about the good old days? Call me unimpressed. Apparently Black Isle just made hackish BioWare knockoffs—who knew?

Plenty of things to dislike about the game, especially before modders fixed it, but “moral ambiguity in mah Star Wars” is not one of them. I guess some people really do not enjoy MCA’s characters, but I have a hard time taking them seriously.

Anyway, if Tim’s game is a Star Wars knockoff, it will be more like Down and Out in Mos Eisley than riding around on a space ship.
More like the rambles of some edgy shitposter that couldn't recognize a good rpg even if it raped him in the ass and then blasted him with a cannonball.
maxresdefault.jpg

First two ME games were pure crap, some of the worst RPGs ever made, if you can even call them that. And I say this as someone who just completed them a year ago or less. The first was a horrible boring corridor slog through some hideous copy-paste corridors that were supposed to represent the Galaxy, with shitty combat, writing and character development, and obviously no exploration (corridors...). The 2nd game improved on the combat and presentation values, but was otherwise exactly the same, you just fought in a better way through better looking corridors.

KotOR 2 was pretty crap too, don't get me wrong, one of the most overrated games here on the 'Codex, but still a lot better than ME.

Keppo

Arbiter
I wouldn't mind seeing some more facts, speculations and wrong opinions on the topic. Haven't they released anything?
It's probably on the bubble from being canceled.

Tim and Leonard are Obsidian last hope to literally "Make Obsidian Great Again" in RPG community eyes because their reputation is not that good right now, and to make some good money, and to create some fun, interesting IP which Obsidian is lacking, so canceling it would be very stupid in my opinion. Both of these guys have a lot of respect and good will in RPG community so if their game will bomb Obsidian is doomed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom