Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project GODUS, the ultimate Peter Molyneux fiasco

Astral Rag

Arcane
Community Herald: Volume Twenty-eight - We're waiting (Year 4, Week 20)
It has been over a week since the moderators tried to reassure us with their announcement about resuming communications. So far not so good actually.

As nothing else happened this week, let me just drop off this quote[godus.boards.net] from Lord Ba'al of the proboards:

They are long past the point of remembering that they have backers and this was a kickstarter.

Game status
Radio silence. The 5th and final cycle?
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (415 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (421 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (80 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (108 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (64 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Community Herald: Volume Twenty-nine - We're still waiting (Year 4, Week 21)
This was two weeks ago. Any progress? How long does it usually take to write something up?

" The reduced amount of communication we've all seen here over the past months has left people wondering if Godus is dead. While I, frustratingly, can't get specific here, that's not the impression we got after talking to Simon."

What could Simon have possibly said for you to come to the conclusion that Godus isn't dead after all the bad things we've been through? Do you still believe Simon was sincere?

It seems like you're very easily impressed and bad at reading people.

Also... nothing else happened this week. What a shocker!

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (422 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (428 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (87 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (115 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (71 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Even Voyager I, humanity's furthest-travelled probe at 134 AU, which requires ~37h round trip to receive requested data, has a shorter communication cycle than 22cans despite using 70's technology.
10742.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Community Herald: Volume Thirty - The wait is surprisingly still not over (Year 4, Week 22)

Today we learned that it takes more than three weeks for 22Cans to go through the extremely complicated process of restoring communication between them and the community.

Since Aynen and Muir are obviously our new and only connection to 22Cans, can we hope that they start pushing a bit harder (feel free to use the numbers below)? Or could it be that it isn't in their best interest to bother Simon or anyone at 22Cans too much...?

#nonewsthisweek

Game status

Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (429 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (435 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (94 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (122 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (78 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Community Herald: Volume Thirty-one (Year 4, Week 23)
Welcome to Godus, where lies pile up and the promises don't matter.

Silence and tranquillity

Apparently Muir and Aynen are still waiting for a response from Simon. Perhaps they simply fail to realise that calmly waiting for a response wont get them/us anything as 22Cans love to drag things out.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/422420/discussions/3/357287304428244377/#c350532795334873826

Reporting 22Cans

According to zayfard, you're able to report 22Cans, but it'll cost you 3p and 40p per minute (a call apparently lasts 9 minutes on average), which can amount to more what most of you paid for the game in the first place if you picked it up in a bundle/sale.
The free alternative is to report the game to Steam, but more of us have to do it more often to get them noticed by Valve.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/422420/discussions/3/350533172684964094/

Game status

Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (436 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (442 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (101 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (129 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (85 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Perhaps it's soon time to rename the thread again!

http://www.pcinvasion.com/godus-lead-rumoured-let-go-development-may-ceased

Godus lead rumoured to have been let go, development may have ceased
Posted By: Peter Parrish June 20, 2016

godus-wars-310x174.jpg

The troubled tale of Godus may well be turning its final pages, as second-hand reports suggest lead designer Konrad ‘FuriousMoo’ Naszynski has been made redundant by Peter Molyneux’s 22cans. That’s according to an “inside source” from the studio, whose thoughts are indirectly communicated by way of a Godus forum.

Not exactly the most solid source there, admittedly. We’ve contacted 22cans themselves in an effort to get confirmation or denial of these claims, and will update or post a new story accordingly if we get any kind of response. Update 21 June: Two days later, we’ve heard nothing.

For what it’s worth, Naszynski’s LinkedIn page still has his employment listed as 22cans. The latest news on the 22cans site features a ‘Combat Design Progress’ post from Naszynski dated 19 June, but if you scroll further back you’ll realise this is from 19 June 2015. So while that doesn’t help with Naszynski’s current employment status, it does show that 22cans have abandoned their ‘news’ page for a whole year.

The forum post linked in the opening paragraph claims Naszynski did not leave of his own accord, and suggests that after the release of Godus Wars the bulk of the Godus team with any Unity skills were transferred to 22can’s upcoming title The Trail. Little is publicly known about The Trail, but this alleged source characterises it as “a walking simulator with nice looking art but very little substance”.

If accurate, this doesn’t bode well for the continued, active development of either Godus or Godus Wars. The game originally raised £450,000 on Kickstarter in December 2012. It was released on Steam Early Access in September 2013, but did not live up to its billing as the return of the Populous-style ‘god game’ genre.

The winner of Molyneux’s Curiosity ‘experiment’, Bryan Henderson, was supposed to reign as ‘virtual god’ in Godus’ world, but it emerged in mid-2015 that Henderson had not received anything resembling this prize. At this stage, it also became abundantly clear that many of the game’s original Kickstarter goals would not be met. In February 2016, a combat-focused, RTS spin-off called Godus Wars was released, to muted reception.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Is Godus dead?
"There's lots of areas to explore and finish."
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 28/06/2016

Development on the PC version of Godus has ground to a halt, Eurogamer understands.

Peter Molyneux's controversial god simulation has been stuck on Steam as an Early Access title ever since it launched there in September 2013.

And now, sources tell Eurogamer, developer 22cans has moved over almost entirely to the studio's next game, The Trail.

Back in February, 22cans relaunched Godus as Godus Wars, replacing its Steam page in the process.

Then, 22cans said 11 people had worked on Godus Wars, including lead designer Konrad Naszynski.

Eurogamer has heard Naszynski was made redundant earlier this year, but speaking to Eurogamer, 22cans CEO Simon Phillips said the developer simply did not renew his contract (Peter Molyneux declined to comment for this story).

"Konrad was actually a contractor and was tasked with building the levels on Godus Wars," Phillips said.

"He completed these for the last update so his contract ran down. Of course, as and when we need more content we'll talk to Konrad as he knows the process well."

What "more content"? Phillips was unable to say. Godus Wars' last update was on 2nd March - nearly four months ago. The last communication on Steam was on 18th March - to announce a sale celebrating 22cans' fourth birthday.

"We added extra content to Wars a few weeks after launch," Phillips said. "We feel that the next update for Steam needs to have something more than just 'extra' content."

Phillips denied the suggestion development on Godus has ceased.

"No. Godus is an ongoing project, on both PC and mobile," he said. "There's lots of areas to support on the project, as you can imagine. We have a bit of a rhythm in moving from PC to mobile and so on."

One source told Eurogamer that as of early 2016, 22cans did have a plan to leave Early Access, but the decision to focus 100 per cent on The Trail was made in part to secure the developer's financial future.

Again, Phillips denied the claim that 100 per cent of 22cans is working on The Trail.

"Not quite," he said. "We shift our resources around depending on what we want to achieve, be that design, PC or mobile code, art resources and so on."

So, what do we know about The Trail? Peter Molyneux actually announced The Trial in late 2014 at the Fun & Serious Game Festival - to the surprise of staff at 22cans.

Then, The Trail was described as a mobile game based around social media interaction.

"It can be understood at a glance, and it entertains the idea of communication beyond words, by means of music, art, and so on," Molyneux was quoted as saying.

"If I can get the game to excite people together, if I can make them feel the excitement of discovery together, if I can reach out to them not as individuals but as a group, if I can make them care about their neighbours as much as they care about themselves, then I think I can have a game that builds on feelings and emotions untapped so far."

22cans is using the Unity game engine to build The Trail, Eurogamer has been told, with a reveal and release expected this year.

22cans' focus on The Trail sparks questions about the future of Godus. Despite 22cans' insistence it hasn't abandoned the PC game, it's hard to view the radio silence and lack of updates as anything but the studio shifting resources from the god game to this new game.

When I asked Simon Phillips what now for Godus leaving Steam Early Access, he replied:

"Gosh, it's still going to be a long process! There's lots of areas to explore to finish."

Then, when pressed on whether there is a timeframe for Godus leaving Early Access, Phillips replied:

"Not a fixed time frame right now."

Back when Godus Wars launched, Molyneux told Eurogamer that the release paved the way for multiplayer, which would then lead to the God of Gods feature that, Molyneux promised, would feature Bryan Henderson, the winner of 22cans' Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? This now seems further away than ever.

What we do know is that Godus Wars, which gave 22cans a short-lived cash injection, failed to make much of an impression on Steam after launch, with only a handful of people currently playing despite the game being 75 per cent off as part of the Steam Summer sale.

And with the focus now squarely on The Trail, 22cans appears to have left Godus behind.

TaQdK5v.jpg

Last edited:

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
I love all of these non-answers for really important questions. On the other all the drama surrounding this game is really sweet. :P

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I mentioned it before but they hired that Konrad guy because he was a fan willing to help. Probably didn't pay him too much and now there's basically no profit in the game they let him go.

Perkel

Arcane
And here i wanted just new populus game which Godus was looking like will fill the hole.
I mean it is not like they would need to have much to do..

most of systems are already there just add proper armies, commanders, map support and few groundshaping/offensive spells and voila.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
And here i wanted just new populus game which Godus was looking like will fill the hole.
I mean it is not like they would need to have much to do..

most of systems are already there just add proper armies, commanders, map support and few groundshaping/offensive spells and voila.
They'd have to fire Peter Molyneux first.

But let's be honest, the guy provides so much entertainment, I'd like to see them selling the test 0.01a version of their next game for $24.99.
BTW, I've managed to steal the source code for their next game. Here's the entire progress they've made since... the last year, I think?
@Echo off
Echo Hello World!
pause

Astral Rag

Arcane
As far as I know their next game, Betrayal, isn't coming to PC, at least not initially. It's really too bad because my body is ready for another 22 Scams Early Access game and/or Kickstarter disaster.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Community Herald: Volume Thirty-six (Year 4, Week 28)

Still nothing

It has been two months since this and two weeks since this this (promises to restore communications). Yet there's still no progress on that front whatsoever.

Reporting Godus

(the flag icon on the store page > Fraud/Broken/Legal violation)

*It has been 471+ and 136+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
*We haven't heard from 22Cans since the 18. March 2016.
*They provide no tech support.
*The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go (over 3 months ago).
*It's very clear that the company has no intention of fulfilling their promises made. Despite all of that, the games are still being falsely advertised and sold on Steam Early Access.

Game status

Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (471 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (477 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (136 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (164 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (120 day ago) - Birthday Sale

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Community Herald: Volume Thirty-six (Year 4, Week 29)
Still nothing

Reporting Godus

• It has been 471+ and 136+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
  • We haven't heard from 22Cans since the 18. March 2016.
  • They provide no tech support.
  • The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go (over 3 months ago).
  • It's very clear that the company has no intention of fulfilling their promises made. Despite all of that, the games are still being falsely advertised and sold on Steam Early Access.

Store page links:
Godus
Godus Wars

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (478 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (484 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (143 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (171 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (127 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Community Herald: Volume Thirty-seven (Year 4, Week 30)
Still nothing
Aynen, Muir... Any news concerning this:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/422420/discussions/3/351660338708071539/

Reporting Godus

• It has been 485+ and 150+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
  • They provide no tech support.
  • The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go (over 3 months ago).
  • It's very clear that the company has no intention of fulfilling their promises made. Despite all of that, the games are still being falsely advertised and sold on Steam Early Access.

Store page links:
Godus
Godus Wars

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (485 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (491 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (150 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (178 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (134 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wish Valve would step in and at least remove the game from the store. It's pretty clear to everyone that the game is never going to get released. Cutting whatever small flow of revenue they may get from the scam porject they sell on Steam would finally axe these hackfrauds.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Community Herald: Volume Forty-two - Bad Men (Year 4, Week 34)

Wow, I actually have something to post about this week. Huh. Go figure.
Also thanks for your encouraging comments :)

News time
22Cans had a support desk?
Apparently 22Cans gave up on their support desk at https://22cans.zendesk.com/
http://godgames.boards.net/thread/1551/22cans-support-desk-longer-active

Bad Peter
According to one of the first people who left the company (check the comments), Peter is an even worse person than we initially thought.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/422420/discussions/3/355043117514297392/#c355043117522128241

Bad Simon
It looks like even Aynen lost his patience and revealed how "seriously" 22Cans is taking the "restoring communications project" initiated by the mods. I'm still confused why he's acting like Simon is his boss, when he doesn't get paid and when Simon tries his hardest to ignore him and everything else connected to PC Godus. While I appreciate his post I still disagree with his closing thoughts where he hints that the community is at fault as well for the current situation.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/422420/discussions/0/357286119105367826/#c355043117529209455

Reporting Godus

It has been 506+ and 170+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
We haven't heard from 22Cans since the 18. March 2016.
They provide no tech support. Their support desk is offline.
The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go.
It's very clear that the company has no intention of fulfilling their promises made. Despite all of that, the games are still being falsely advertised and sold on Steam Early Access.

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (513 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (518 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (177 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (205 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (161 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Community Herald: Volume Forty-three (Year 4, Week 35)

Last week we almost discovered the answer to life, the universe and everything, but it seems we're back to nothing again. Well almost. Apple will now apparently require developers to update their apps every 30 days in order to keep them on the app store. While I personally don't exactly agree with some of the specifics concerning the decision it might at least force 22Cans to work on their abandonware.
http://godgames.boards.net/thread/1555/rut-roh-get-22cans

Reporting Godus

It has been 520+ and 184+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go.
It's very clear that the company has no intention of fulfilling their promises made. Despite all of that, the games are still being falsely advertised and sold on Steam Early Access.

Game status

Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (520 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (525 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (184 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (212 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (168 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Travelling Gourmand, Crab Specialist
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
these posts read like the diary of a man marooned on a desert island forced to eat himself to stay alive. it takes serious insanity to care about this game for so long.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No game updates in over a year and a half, not a word from the devs in 7 months, still selling the game as Early Access.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Are you ready for more non-news?!

Community Herald: Volume Forty-four (Year 4, Week 36)
Not exactly Godus related, but this is where our money ended up:http://steamcommunity.com/app/422420/discussions/3/343785574527995850/

I find it ammusing that they refuse to mention "22Cans" anywhere on the store page[itunes.apple.com].

EDIT: Just found the "22cans". My bad.

Reporting Godus

• It has been 527+ and 191+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
  • They provide no tech support. Their support desk is offline.
  • The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go.

Store page links:
Godus
Godus Wars

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (527 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (532 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (191 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (219 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (175 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Community Herald: Volume Forty-five (Year 4, Week 37)
A whole bunch of nothing.

Reporting Godus

• It has been 534+ and 198+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.
  • The company shifted all of its resources away from Godus and Godus Wars after the main designer was let go.

Store page links:
Godus
Godus Wars

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (534 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (539 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (198 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (226 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (187 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Community Herald: Volume Forty-six (Year 4, Week 38)
It's fall already and still nothing :)

Reporting Godus

• It has been 541+ and 205+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.

Store page links:
Godus
Godus Wars

Game status
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (541 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (546 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (205 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (233 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (194 day ago) - Birthday Sale

Astral Rag

Arcane
Community Herald: Volume Forty-eight (Year 4, Week 40)

Other than the fact that we just learned that Valve officially doesn't give a ♥♥♥♥ about Steam Early access scams like Godus... there's been no news this week.

http://www.pcgamer.com/early-access-rules/

It has been 555+ and 219+ days since the last Godus and Godus Wars update.

Game status:
Last Godus game update: 2. April 2015 (555 days ago) - Easter reskin
Last Godus opt-in update: 27. March 2015 (560 days ago) - Very basic combat
Last Godus Wars game update: 2. March 2016 (219 days ago) - Champions & Third Continent
Last official post for Godus: 3. February 2016 (247 days ago) - Godus Wars
Last official post for Godus Wars: 18. March 2016 (208 day ago) - Birthday Sale

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom