Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #20: Screenshot! Lore! Stronghold and Another Big City!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
As a studio, they haven't... but Tim Cain, man. :P And I thought Josh Sawyer's mod for New Vegas was pretty good -- the kind of combat they inherited from Beth wasn't tactical by any means, but within what he had to work with, he did a good job. I also enjoyed Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 a lot.

I'm can't really deny what you say, though. ;)

Agreed. HOWEVER this time they are actually working on a game they are VERY familiar with, an IE like game/engine. And I think they are WAY more passionate about doing this kind of game instead of the 3D popamole stuff Publishers want studios to make.

You know? 2 years ago I would agree with those rosey prospects and get very enthusiastic. Now, however, when I am alittle bit more experienced in working on projects (just a little) I keep gritting my teeth at half of what they promise, thinking "how the fuck are they going to achieve that?". I get the impression that they are overwhelmed with their success that they keep giving more and more promises without any plan as to how they are going to reach their goals.

Arkadin

Arcane
Wait, when has Obsidian ever been over-optimistic about development time and tried to do too much? ;)

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice, George Ziets goal reached, and almost another dungeon level with almost 20k facebook likes. That dungeon is turning out quite big, didn't think it would. Expecting another level on top of upcoming one.

On to 3.5, let's see how far we get, and if we beat Double Fine. This then would be the highest funded Kickstarter computer game.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
If lion's share of their expenses are gonna be future salaries one wonders why wouldn't they invest that dough. Greek government bonds, perhaps?

kris

Arcane
As a studio, they haven't... but Tim Cain, man. :P And I thought Josh Sawyer's mod for New Vegas was pretty good -- the kind of combat they inherited from Beth wasn't tactical by any means, but within what he had to work with, he did a good job. I also enjoyed Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 a lot.

I'm can't really deny what you say, though. ;)

Agreed. HOWEVER this time they are actually working on a game they are VERY familiar with, an IE like game/engine. And I think they are WAY more passionate about doing this kind of game instead of the 3D popamole stuff Publishers want studios to make.

I think more importantly. This time they won't have anyone meddling with their designer goals and force big changes in the middle of development.

Dorateen

Arcane
... almost another dungeon level with almost 20k facebook likes. That dungeon is turning out quite big, didn't think it would. Expecting another level on top of upcoming one.

Heh, I'm approaching this like the point of the game is exploring the Endless Paths with a custom party.

All the other stuff that the reject biodrones are slobbering over themselves about, is just extraneous fluff that has to be dealt with.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Did they make it clear that liking the Kickstarter page is not the same as liking them directly on Facebook? Because I figure there are plenty of retards who can't tell the difference.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian ‏@Obsidian
TWENTY THOUSAND LIKES = One more level of Mega Dungeon. Achieved. New art going up on KS. Next stop 40k likes. It's a lot, but we can DO EET

L233

Novice
They already have chosen the engine, Unity but I have no idea how much it costs, probably not a lot since quite a many small indie projects uses it. They have said that they're gonna have a team of 15 or so members.
Unity is $1500 per license and AFAIK no royalties. That's chump change and not a big drag on the budget.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian
TWENTY THOUSAND LIKES = One more level of Mega Dungeon. Achieved. New art going up on KS. Next stop 40k likes. It's a lot, but we can DO EET

Yeah, now I understand what FeelTheRads was saying. There are 43 000 likes for PE, and only 20 000 for Obsidian (which ONLY actually counts towards dungeon levels). People really are morons.

Anyway I thought that we can only add 1 level of dungeon with 20 000 likes, not more... :? I don't think 40 000 can be reached, except if Obsidian puts a huge news bulletin on the top of their kickstarter page telling those 43 000 people that that doesn't count towards dungeon levels, and that they should like Obsidian directly. I mean, I would really like it to reach 40 k, but it took long enough to reach 20, and there's less than 3 days left... :(

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Obsidian ‏@Obsidian

Yeah, now I understand what FeelTheRads was saying. There are 43 000 likes for PE, and only 20 000 for Obsidian (which ONLY actually counts towards dungeon levels). People really are morons.

Anyway I thought that we can only add 1 level of dungeon with 20 000 likes, not more... :? I don't think 40 000 can be reached, except if Obsidian puts a huge news bulletin on the top of their kickstarter page telling those 43 000 people that that doesn't count towards dungeon levels, and that they should like Obsidian directly. I mean, I would really like it to reach 40 k, but it took long enough to reach 20, and there's less than 3 days left... :(

Is there a reason for wanting so many facebook brofists? Does it turn up on searches more often or anything like that?

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian

Is there a reason for wanting so many facebook brofists? Does it turn up on searches more often or anything like that?

I have no fucking idea. Maybe they think some other facebook users will see it (PE, or Obsidian) when their friends like that, and it will bring more people to the kickstarter. :?

I don't think it has anything with searches though. It shouldn't have at least.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I have no fucking idea. Maybe they think some other facebook users will see it (PE, or Obsidian) when their friends like that, and it will bring more people to the kickstarter. :?

Also, they may have no marketing money, and need to keep the game fresh in the minds of backers with Facebook updates.

Look at the Wasteland 2 forums.

Also, they may have no marketing money, and need to keep the game fresh in the minds of backers with Facebook updates.

Look at the Wasteland 2 forums.

Yeah, perhaps. But I don't use facebook, so... I just voted so we get another dungeon level. In fact I made 3 people vote. :D

Why should I look at the W2 forums? o_O

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you guys think the 3,5 goal is possible? If the money flow keeps going as stable as it is now, It should be possible. Also the paypal should net another $75.000 -$ 100.000.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:eek:

$6,593.21 USD (132%)

The way this is going we'll be able to negotiate both an adventuring party and a codexian arsenal. (or maybe even an inn :troll: )

Tommy Gun

Arcane
welcome to the jungle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom