Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #15: Classes and Full Party Creation + New Josh Sawyer Interview

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Vines will twine to drink out the life of the manfools, and where the blood of trees is spilled the Leaf-man rises and topples the towers. His will make the trees to grow again, his roots and branches thirsting and blood to drink in the joy of open sky.

kaizoku

Arcane
kaizoku said:
Just look at Skyway... that why he's the KoK: King of Kodex

This argument is just plainly retarded. You're saying:

a) You have to exhibit this kind of behaviour to be cool on the Codex.
b) Skyway (who is almost universally mocked on the Codex) exhibits this kind of behaviour

It's just you being butthurt that people both criticize what they don't like and give a nod to what they do at the same time. Which is what is happening on the subject of PE almost solely, except for a few guys like FeelTheRads who is one extreme polar and Roguey who is trying to set deepthroat records.

But FFS, don't make Skyway the epitome of Codexian behaviour. Skyway is, in many ways, the proof that we are still sane.

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like monks, but I HATE druids & rangers with all my heart. Does anyone likes playing a tree worshiper?

I am a celtic and animalism whore and I already got dwarf-ranger girl in furs, and getting an option to play a guy who sets bears free on badguys is my favorite kind of time.
Sadly, the only druid part about regular fantasy druid is his profiency in using sickle and loving oaks. And they even do that wrong, because with alighnment systems playing a druid means getting enough good and evil points to not have class locked to you.
For once I'd like to play something more sinister, maybe an eco-terrorist like character, or maybe a D&D druid mixed with real druid - a pagan priest who speaks with dead and fey, burns infidels in cages made of wood. These guys were pretty fucking scary. You call him a tree-worshipper or make a laugh on him, and he'd probably would cut your head, lit it on fire and use as a missile-weapon against his enemies.
I would even be satisfied with "I don't care a fuck" attitude-druid, who would get neutral lines and preserve D&Dish "Balance", if done right.

The druid is easily the most powerful core class in D&D3.5. It's a common tongue-in-cheek saying among munchkins that the druid has a class feature for each other class which does the same and is just as powerful as that class
:salute:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Faldorn

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
kaizoku said:

b) Skyway (who is almost universally mocked on the Codex) exhibits this kind of behaviour

It's just you being butthurt that people both criticize what they don't like and give a nod to what they do at the same time. Which is what is happening on the subject of PE almost solely, except for a few guys like FeelTheRads who is one extreme polar and Roguey who is trying to set deepthroat records.

But FFS, don't make Skyway the epitome of Codexian behaviour. Skyway is, in many ways, the proof that we are still sane.

Time to bring out that "LLOLOLOL I TROLLL U" comic?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
except for a few guys like FeelTheRads who is one extreme polar

Hey, that's not nice, bro. Talking me behind my back. Next time tag me. (I've disabled notifications, but be polite and do it anyway).

And when they say something good about the game I usually acknowledge it. It's their fault there isn't much of that, though. :smug:

kaizoku

Arcane
kaizoku said:

Time to bring out that "LLOLOLOL I TROLLL U" comic?

well, it did seem you got a little butthurt/mad there...

Dorateen

Arcane
What's this about Full Party Creation? Ha! I knew Obsidian would get it done. They know their roots.

And, yes, I've read the caveats about the Adventuring Hall, and not supporting a full party from the start. We'll just see about that.

The wildest dreams I have are that by the end of production two years out, when the developers are crunched for time and low on cash, they turn Project Eternity into an Icewind Dale-like dungeon crawler.

At the very least, it seems the mechanics for party creation will be available and mods will fix any unresolved issues.

Harumph!

MCA

It looks almost impressive when you compile a list of every ability except it sucked donkey balls in the game because most of it was insignificant incremental updates and shitty intermediary abilities you had to take before you could unlock the awesome buttons. Plus cool-downs were full of suck and so was combat in general. Plus, a good portion of those abilities are shared among classes.

In short, it's an utterly meaningless list.

Oops, it's NWN2, not Dragon Age. Not sure what to make of that, though. Combat in NWN2 wasn't particularly tactical or memorable either so in the end, that list doesn't mean much and some of the things I've said for Dragon Age above can be applied to NWN2 as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
hahaohwow.jpg Villain

Lots of reasons NWN2 was shit, character system certainly wasn't one. Which RPGs had good character customization according to you? Don't think there's many that arrive at NWN2's complexity.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
On other news, If anybody wants, for some perverted reason, the PE wallpaper without the black borders and the logo Here it is. I edited them out, editied the looks a bit to make it look better and resized it to 1080 resolution :

MCA
Full party creation is super cool but once again, they have showed us that the game will be full of suck. 1:1 copying D&D classes and updating them with Dragon Age model. Oh yeah, I guess this is what they mean by old school: next gen has just been renamed to old school.

Also, their descriptions of the core classes make no sense. Take the comparison between a fighter and a ranger:

And while fighters are often thought of as being primarily melee-based, they can specialize in a variety of weapons, including bows, crossbows, and even firearms. They're unlikely to outclass rangers at their own game,

A ranger with bow and a fighter with a bow should be entirely different games. They should have an entirely different focus than a downgrading either to a matter of "outclassing" the other. Eg. a ranger's training might have an emphasis on accuracy while a warrior's would be battlefield functionality eg. rapid shots. And other things based on that as a starting point.

It's like they are taking the worst parts of everything to a step further instead of improving the base model.

Johannes

Arcane
Yes. We DO know Magic Wise spells will not be LOL FIREBALL WAIT 5 SECONDS LOL FIREBALL WAIT FIVE SECONDS LOL FIREBALL etc.

But the exact specifics of what Josh and Tim come up with, who knows. We know the same exact specifics as we do in Waselands 2's combat.
In that scenario, problem is not the 5 second waits but the constant fireballing. TB sucks too if you constantly just spam the same damage dealing spell every round.

In an RT based game there's basically 2 ways to limit the rate of how often you can spam spells, or attack, use items or whatever. You can do it through a casting animation (using up time before you complete the spell) or by cooldown (limiting how soon you can start another action). Combining the two is possible too, of course.
But I don't see what's inherently so awful about having some cooldown timer in the game, among other things.

Johannes

Arcane
Full party creation is super cool but once again, they have showed us that the game will be full of suck. 1:1 copying D&D classes and updating them with Dragon Age model. Oh yeah, I guess this is what they mean by old school: next gen has just been renamed to old school.

Also, their descriptions of the core classes make no sense. Take the comparison between a fighter and a ranger:

And while fighters are often thought of as being primarily melee-based, they can specialize in a variety of weapons, including bows, crossbows, and even firearms. They're unlikely to outclass rangers at their own game,

A ranger with bow and a fighter with a bow should be entirely different games. They should have an entirely different focus than a downgrading either to a matter of "outclassing" the other. Eg. a ranger's training might have an emphasis on accuracy while a warrior's would be battlefield functionality eg. rapid shots. And other things based on that as a starting point.

It's like they are taking the worst parts of everything to a step further instead of improving the base model.
I'd hope that the classes will be as customisable as possible inside themselves, and that you can multiclass without it sucking. A warrior could be geared towards ranged combat or close combat, endurance or attack power, allowing for diverse builds. Or wizards who can pick between a number of functionally different spell schools/styles, and balance between how quickly they can cast vs. how many spells they can cast, etc. If you've got the basic building blocks done well enough, that's actually better than having a fuckton of narrow classes to choose from.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
what are you doing on a crpg site if you dont like any crpgs villain

this intrigues me

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I hope this 2.2M$ treshold about the new race and region is something unique. Like steam-punk civilisation that somebody mentioned before. It would even fit to what Sawyer said, i.e., guns are there, but not developed. So, you can imagine a faction that is more advanced in technology, but it is still restricted by early development/deities interventions etc. For example some culture of humans/elves/whatever (NOT dwarves, PLEASE!!) that are rich in resources and well in cultural/iindustrial development, but still separated from the world (by geographic/social/religious or whatever barriers) and yet to exist in this universe naturally, and not just pulling pistols out of their asses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom