Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #15: Classes and Full Party Creation + New Josh Sawyer Interview

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I was also "full party creation, that's what i'm talking about"... But then I saw:

What does this mean for you? It means that if you don't like a companion, or if you don't like any of our companions, you won't be cut off from having characters of their classes. Over time, you can build your own custom parties to play through the game. If you want a party of monks or all casters, this gives you the ability to do it within the game while still maintaining the pacing of the standard PC + companions play style.
What do you mean, "over time"? You only get to add another custom character to the party every 1/Xth of game story progression or what? Because that would be sucky - when you find Dakkon, you have the option of not having him join, which unlocks another party slot? What?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I like monks, but I HATE druids & rangers with all my heart. Does anyone likes playing a tree worshiper?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I was also "full party creation, that's what i'm talking about"... But then I saw:

What does this mean for you? It means that if you don't like a companion, or if you don't like any of our companions, you won't be cut off from having characters of their classes. Over time, you can build your own custom parties to play through the game. If you want a party of monks or all casters, this gives you the ability to do it within the game while still maintaining the pacing of the standard PC + companions play style.
What do you mean, "over time"? You only get to add another custom character to the party every 1/Xth of game story progression or what? Because that would be sucky - when you find Dakkon, you have the option of not having him join, which unlocks another party slot? What?
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. The game will be balanced around you only having N people in your party at a particular stage, so if you were to start with a full party the early game would be a cakewalk.
If you really want to get a full party at once I'm sure there will be a mod to allow it.

catfood

AGAIN
How can anyone NOT like full party creation? Rolling characters is the best part of any RPG.
He didn't say anything about rolling characters, only that you can hire the classes you want.
I haven't watched the video since I'm at work, but after reading the update again I guess you're right. Honestly I don't understand this retticiency in letting the player build make his own part from the beginning. I guess it has something to do with game balance, but fuck it, BG gave you the option (although through a trick) so why shouldn't this game as well? Fuck balance.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

As long as the Adventurer's Hall isn't in one location that you can't access or use until you're 2/3rds of the way through the story and it's something you can use straight away, I'll be happy. It's a storyfag game and that unfortunately comes with certain limitations. Besides, Spectacle is right. Mods will (probably) fix it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Go ahead and ask him: http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer

He might even respond to you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Souls give every class superpowers you say? Told ya'll. :P

I'm guessing their use will be determined by how much soul juice you have and not cooldowns. Josh did say that cooldowns by themselves were boring in regard to resource management.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Souls give every class superpowers you say? Told ya'll. :P

I'm guessing their use will be determined by how much soul juice you have and not cooldowns. Josh did say that cooldowns by themselves were boring in regard to resource management.

The type of the soul will probably come into the play somehow as well, either on how the "soul juice" is replenished or how the abilities work/what kind of ablities one gets.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer said:
distributors in Poland and Russia will be handling localization for these two languages
So I will be getting a boxed version after all. Although it will probably only contain game disc and online code activation, as was the case with boxed versions of Torchlight, Magicka and New Vegas.

Huh? What's stopping you from getting the English release?
Oh, I'm getting the English release too (digital version @ lowest tier), but as I can't really pay $80 for boxed Kickstarter version, I will also be looking to buy the Polish (boxed) version when it is available for the standard price of $20 - $25 .

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like the update, but there is one thing that really annoys me. Why in every damn game we have to fight hordes of mindless zombies???

:rage:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He said in the video, they can't have you with a full party from the start, for the beggining of the game is made for solo play... they'll probably do something close to what you're saying, checkpoints that unlock customs party slots... they could even do it with in-game lore, so it doesn't sound so retarded: "You've found a lost soul, the Soulmancer at X should be able to mold then into a companion"...

mondblut

Arcane
I like monks, but I HATE druids & rangers with all my heart. Does anyone likes playing a tree worshiper?

LARPing much? What's wrong with having a full-duty fighter who can also cast some spells for added bodycount? :roll:

Agree on the druids though. Useless class all around, and summoning bears is boring.

And monks is an ultimate popamole class. Who would want to bother with a party member which doesn't use the fucking equipment? No loot management = half the fun bye bye.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

LARPing much? What's wrong with having a full-duty fighter who can also cast some spells for added bodycount? :roll:

Agree on the druids though. Useless class all around, and summoning bears is boring.

And monks is an ultimate popamole class. Who would want to bother with a party member which doesn't use the fucking equipment? No loot management = half the fun bye bye.

Monks can use gloves/gauntlets/etc and different kind of robes and shit.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

I would have preferred something like death knight class in the game. Powerful warrior with ability to cast some curses and to be evil bad ass.

Druids usually suck as both casters and fighters. Their spells are boring and useless. I agree that most of the time people just summon bears or elementals and latter bear elementals.

Monks can have loot. Gloves, robes, hoods and stuff. They could use old fashioned knuckle dusters and etc. Just that in D&D games there were not enough items for monks.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Druids are awesome when done right. The mix of shapeshifting to melee, casting for ranged and summoning for control make them the ultimate gish. And everybody loves gish.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Druids are awesome when done right. The mix of shapeshifting to melee, casting for ranged and summoning for control make them the ultimate gish. And everybody loves gish.

One powerful fighter or Barb could easily replace druid in my party. If you need summoning that means that your party is a bit weak. I saw powerful builds of druids in NWN 2, but I always lack the knowledge of the class to make something good out of it..

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

One powerful fighter or Barb could easily replace druid in my party. If you need summoning that means that your party is a bit weak. I saw powerful builds of druids in NWN 2, but I always lack the knowledge of the class to make something good out of it..

The druid is easily the most powerful core class in D&D3.5. It's a common tongue-in-cheek saying among munchkins that the druid has a class feature for each other class which does the same and is just as powerful as that class.

Anyways, the point in this discussion is that gish are awesome. And the druid is a really great gish class.

visions

Arcane
But what does it matter for the actual game? As far as I remember ingame MM6 didn't quite look like this...

Just as an iso game with characters visible from high up won't look anything like the actual art for PE either.

The P:E concept art will probably indicate the direction they'll be taking with the art for the game. Not a huge issue but I'd prefer the loading screens, main menu screen and portraits to have a less modern look. I'm not enough of a pure system/combat/gameplayfag to be completely unaffected by such things. Also, concept art should indicate the overall vibe they're going for with the project (otherwise it would be kinda irrelevant, no?) and I'm not that excited about that vibe.

The MM6 picture was unrelated to this and in response to Shadenaut saying that he likes the art as a step between modern and more old school looking art. I posted it as an example compared to which the P:E picture looks too modern for my taste.

Regarding classes, I'd also have preferred something like Alchemists and Gadgeteers to be included but I guess they thought it more important to try to include most of the d&d staples. Which would be fine if this were a d&d game, but it isn't so I'd rather see something a little different.

Have to admit the party creation stretch goal sounds like a surprising incline though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good update. The art piece is ok. Nothing special, but it fits the (supposed) IE successor style. Overall: I like.

I also like that Obsidian is checking The Codex for feedback. I wonder who exactly got drowned in that unpleasant got the honor of performing this noble duty.

The interviewer at XP4T was retarded, btw:

XP4T said:
Reaching a mind blowing 1.5 million dollar goal in less than 24 hours is what!
It was actually 1.1 million in 27 hours.
XP4T said:
Obsidian is remembered throughout the gaming community for incredible titles such as the epic Baldur’s Gate
What. :retarded:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
At least the dumbfuckery results in Obsidian getting credit for a game they didn't make, instead of BioWare getting credit for PS:T.

kaizoku

Arcane
Yeah. I am a HUGE fan of Bard's and Paladin's (those are my favorite 2 classes) but they might not fit in the setting. Would like to see them added though.
That explains a lot :smug:

We have full fucking party creation as a stretch goal (which is awesome), and you are bickering about a wallpaper? Isn't this the feature that many of you really wanted?
It's the Kodex.

You gain extra points if you bitch when things are looking better than ever.

Just look at Skyway... that why he's the KoK: King of Kodex

At least it's got tentacles

The tentacles are in fact an homage to the codex...

:mhd:

Maybe not a tree... but I bet some like worshiping wood *ta dun pss*

Shadenuat

Arcane

I am a celtic and animalism whore and I already got dwarf-ranger girl in furs, and getting an option to play a guy who sets bears free on badguys is my favorite kind of time.
Sadly, the only druid part about regular fantasy druid is his profiency in using sickle and loving oaks. And they even do that wrong, because with alighnment systems playing a druid means getting enough good and evil points to not have class locked to you.
For once I'd like to play something more sinister, maybe an eco-terrorist like character, or maybe a D&D druid mixed with real druid - a pagan priest who speaks with dead and fey, burns infidels in cages made of wood. These guys were pretty fucking scary. You call him a tree-worshipper or make a laugh on him, and he'd probably would cut your head, lit it on fire and use as a missile-weapon against his enemies.
I would even be satisfied with "I don't care a fuck" attitude-druid, who would get neutral lines and preserve D&Dish "Balance", if done right.

The druid is easily the most powerful core class in D&D3.5. It's a common tongue-in-cheek saying among munchkins that the druid has a class feature for each other class which does the same and is just as powerful as that class
:salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
kaizoku said:
Just look at Skyway... that why he's the KoK: King of Kodex

This argument is just plainly retarded. You're saying:

a) You have to exhibit this kind of behaviour to be cool on the Codex.
b) Skyway (who is almost universally mocked on the Codex) exhibits this kind of behaviour

It's just you being butthurt that people both criticize what they don't like and give a nod to what they do at the same time. Which is what is happening on the subject of PE almost solely, except for a few guys like FeelTheRads who is one extreme polar and Roguey who is trying to set deepthroat records.

But FFS, don't make Skyway the epitome of Codexian behaviour. Skyway is, in many ways, the proof that we are still sane.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The druid is easily the most powerful core class in D&D3.5. It's a common tongue-in-cheek saying among munchkins that the druid has a class feature for each other class which does the same and is just as powerful as that class
:salute:

The actual quote is from the Druid's Handbook (fanmade resource):

"Hi! I'm the Druid! I've got class features more powerful than your entire class! :D"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom