Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #15: Classes and Full Party Creation + New Josh Sawyer Interview

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

In the latest Project Eternity Kickstarter update, Josh Sawyer talks about new stretch goals, which are an "Adventurer's Hall" with full character creation and new Barbarian and Cipher classes, as well as discusses the game's four core classes. I will only quote the bit about the new stretch goals here:

Since the days are counting down, we'd like to introduce two new stretch goals. As you'll read in a few more paragraphs, Project Eternity is currently slated to support seven classes. Our current roster includes fighters, priests, rogues, wizards, rangers, monks, and druids. We believe this represents the common core and several popular secondary classes that many players enjoyed using in the Infinity Engine games. We would like to use our $2.5M stretch goal to include two additional classes: the barbarian and the cipher.

Barbarians come from many of the more remote cultures found across the world. In the Dyrwood, they are commonly found among Glanfathan elf communities. They are distinguished from fighters by their recklessness, ferocity, and their predilection to substitute raw aggression for discipline. Barbarians are a challenge to deal with on a battlefield, though they are vulnerable to exhaustion if they don't pace themselves.

Ciphers are uncommon and often misunderstood individuals with extraordinary mental abilities. Like wizards and priests, they have many talents that draw directly from their souls, but ciphers have the unique ability to peer through the spiritual energy of the world to manipulate other souls. While wizards use complex formulae in large tomes and priests tap into the passion of their faith, ciphers are able to operate directly through the power of their minds... and yours.

But wait, we're not done yet! We've been reading a lot of feedback online about classes, companions, and party composition options. We want to give people the ability to build their parties as they like and we also want to allow people to experience the full spectrum of class mechanics. Companions go a long way toward achieving that goal while also providing a ton of reactivity in the world. Even so, we'd like to do more.

At $2.6M, we will add an Adventurer's Hall to the world. In the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood, adventurers and mercenaries from across the world are often employed as personal bodyguards, elite security, or salvage (plunder) teams that venture into the forgotten corners of Eír Glanfath. A lot of the folks who hang out as such places are robbers and miscreants, but reliable agents can be found and employed with a bit of patience.

What does this mean for you? It means that if you don't like a companion, or if you don't like any of our companions, you won't be cut off from having characters of their classes. Over time, you can build your own custom parties to play through the game. If you want a party of monks or all casters, this gives you the ability to do it within the game while still maintaining the pacing of the standard PC + companions play style.​

To read all about Fighters, Priests, Rogues and Wizards in Project Eternity, go here.

On top of that, there's also a new interview with Sawyer at XP4T:

XP4T: 1.5 million is certainly no small amount of money, how does it feel to get THAT much backing?

Josh Sawyer: It’s fantastic. We’re really excited to see where the funding winds up, but we’re confident we can make something awesome with the backing we’ve received so far. The response from the community has been amazing.

Kickstarter makes things very personal with future players, how do you deal with the requests and feedback and demands? Do you feel obliged to follow them?

We try to read as much feedback in as many different places as possible, on the Obsidian forums as well as places like RPG Codex, NeoGAF, Something Awful, Penny Arcade, and others. There’s a broad spectrum of responses, but I think we’ve been doing this long enough to know how to sort a signal out of the noise. There will always be outliers, people who want really specific things that fall outside of the scope and focus of the project. In those cases, the best thing we can do is politely let them know that we’re going in a different direction.

For the people who are talking about things that can go one way or another and do fall within the scope of what we’re doing, we try to think about the pros and cons of what they’re talking about. Often, we’re already doing something in line with what they’re thinking. In other cases, we can give the person the feeling that’s behind what they’re saying without actually doing what they’re saying.

As developers, we need to put effort into interpreting a variety of desires and opinions and synthesizing the best solution for the game. That best solution is only rarely a “somewhere in the middle” answer to the debate, but we do try to take in the full spectrum of feedback.​

Click here to read it in full.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D&D has good to great character creation so I'm happy with that. Never been bored with character creation/development in any of the IE or NWN games. even the second rate d2 clones like heroes or dark alliance were ok.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This all sounds very cool to me. Especially if they get dual-classing into the game. Imagine a cipher-rogue or something. Totally cray-cray.

Now I'd like to know more about races and subraces (backgrounds?).

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm not dissapointed in whole D&D approach, but hammering beautiful "soul" concept together with D&D and it's standard classes seems very crude. "We have those SOULS, but we need a monk/psionic/whatever just... *because*... so pick your pens and start writing".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well the pitch was a "Classic IE like game".

Obviously classic races, and classes that would mimic D&D.

However this is Obsidian, and there is some cool shit they could do to shake some of these old tried things up a bit.

I'm not going to hold my breath though. But AT LEAST we finally get to experience The Black hound <3.

visions

Arcane
I'm a little disappointed by the classes being standard d&d fare, would have hoped for something a little more original.

fighters are dependable and flexible, able to shift between a variety of attack modes that alternate between high damage, maintaining a strong defense, weakening opponents, and dealing harsh retribution to those who attack his or her allies. Some fighters build up arsenals of feints, knockdowns, and special attacks

Though it may not look like it to see them in battle next to wizards and priests, fighters are just as able to tap into the power of their souls to devastating effect: accelerating their attacks to a superhuman speed, striking foes with such power that nearby opponents are knocked off their feet, and maintaining a phenomenal endurance that allows them to rapidly bounce back from even terrible wounds.

Also, quotes like these make me think Roguey may be right in her assessment of this shaping up to be Dragon Age the Obsidian Version. Well, at least it'll have more classes.

wallpaper001-1280x1024.jpg

If this is anything to go by, the art style doesn't seem terribly exciting either, to put it mildly. Initially I had no qualms about this being more or less traditional fantasy but every new update makes me have second thoughts about this. I initially got the impression that it'll have a more pseudo-mythological/folkloric bent but this picture reminds me mostly of what I hate about standard high fantasy bs. Looks like it could just as well be the cover of some terrible high fantasy novel. Not that the picture is super important in itself but coupled with the standard classes, plus some dreadfully boring lore bs from a previous update, things seem to be pointing towards generic epic high fantasy bullshit.

If this weren't Obsidian, there would be more hope of the mechanics/combat being solid enough to the point of making these issues irrelevant but yeah, this is Obsidian so who am I kidding. Won't be surprised if this will turn up a setting/writing/storyfag game in a not particularly cool/interesting setting and with a not particularly interesting story/writing.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think all the art I've seen so far has been fantastic, and totally fitting a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine (mostly Forgotten Realms) games.
In fact, I cropped the picture (to remove black bars and logo) and put it as my wallpaper. :bounce:

Don't get me wrong, I've seen better *art*, but I think this fits the project perfectly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm a little disappointed by the classes being standard d&d fare, would have hoped for something a little more original.

fighters are dependable and flexible, able to shift between a variety of attack modes that alternate between high damage, maintaining a strong defense, weakening opponents, and dealing harsh retribution to those who attack his or her allies. Some fighters build up arsenals of feints, knockdowns, and special attacks

Though it may not look like it to see them in battle next to wizards and priests, fighters are just as able to tap into the power of their souls to devastating effect: accelerating their attacks to a superhuman speed, striking foes with such power that nearby opponents are knocked off their feet, and maintaining a phenomenal endurance that allows them to rapidly bounce back from even terrible wounds.

Also, quotes like these make me think Roguey may be right in her assessment of this shaping up to be Dragon Age the Obsidian Version. Well, at least it'll have more classes.

Dragon Age, you say?

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Fighter

List of Non-Epic Bonus Feats

Shadenuat

Arcane
If this is anything to go by, the art style doesn't seem terribly exciting either, to put it mildly.
I can only repeat myself about that art - I think it captures AD&D feel, but also stays modern in it's own way. It's a D&D before it went giantpauldrons route, and I am thrilled to get more of that. A step inbetween AD&D and D&D3. I like it.

I am probably affected by nostalgia strongly, as I already want to get these guys into dungeon myself and kick shit out of monsters, cut off purple tentacles and fry them for dinner, solve puzzles and grab loot, like in good 'ol times.

visions

Arcane

We'll see.

From what I remember, Sawyer has indicated that he's open to cooldowns so I wouldn't be surprised if the fighter's combat abilites in P:E would turn out like the cooldown abilities in Dragon Age, selected from a similarly limited ability tree. I can certainly see the blurbs I quoted being used to advertise a system like Dragon Age had. I hope to be proven wrong and I won't be withdrawing my 20 bucks pledge either but I'm still getting more and more skeptical about this.

I don't mean the Dragon Age thing as a very vitriolic attack either like it would be a total deal-breaker, but I'd still rather not want to see P:E turning out as something similar to DA.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We'll see.

From what I remember, Sawyer has indicated that he's open to cooldowns so I wouldn't be surprised if the fighter's combat abilites in P:E would turn out like the cooldown abilities in Dragon Age, selected from a similarly limited ability tree. I can certainly see the blurbs I quoted being used to advertise a system like Dragon Age had. I hope to be proven wrong and I won't be withdrawing my 20 bucks pledge either but I'm still getting more and more skeptical about this.

I don't mean the Dragon Age thing as a very vitriolic attack either like it would be a total deal-breaker, but I'd still rather not want to see P:E turning out as something similar to DA.

From what we know now, Josh may want cooldowns between encounters, but not during them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes. We DO know Magic Wise spells will not be LOL FIREBALL WAIT 5 SECONDS LOL FIREBALL WAIT FIVE SECONDS LOL FIREBALL etc.

But the exact specifics of what Josh and Tim come up with, who knows. We know the same exact specifics as we do in Waselands 2's combat.

visions

Arcane
If this is anything to go by, the art style doesn't seem terribly exciting either, to put it mildly.
I can only repeat myself about that art - I think it captures AD&D feel, but also stays modern in it's own way. It's a D&D before it went giantpauldrons route, and I am thrilled to get more of that. A step inbetween AD&D and D&D3. I like it.

I am probably affected by nostalgia strongly, as I already want to get these guys into dungeon myself and kick shit out of monsters, cut off purple tentacles and fry them for dinner, solve puzzles and grab loot, like in good 'ol times.

I'd be raging if it would have any fucking giant pauldrons. :lol:

Anyway, I think the reason it doesn't click with me is that looks too slick and modern, I much prefer more old school looking fantasy imagery:

MM6TitleArt.PNG

Shadenuat

Arcane
I would prefer that too. I really want classic style to return. But for what we got, it's not bad.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Cool, I like the concept of making Wizards able to wear full-plate through a wide selection of skills/feats.

Also, since they already have guns in the game, a gadgeteer class would be cool... (and other classes from Wiz8 :P)

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We try to read as much feedback in as many different places as possible, on the Obsidian forums as well as places like RPG Codex, NeoGAF, Something Awful, Penny Arcade, and others.

First in the pecking order.

:smug:

Good update though. Info on the classes was nice, and Adventurer's Hall looks like a good stretch goal.

:greatjob:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a pretty good update. PE has certainly inclined from its piss poor beginnings. Hopefully, a bard class and another race or two gets thrown into the mix. I'm normally not a big multiplayer fan, but I still think it's a shame they don't embrace NWN like functionality. I guess it might be a necessary trade off with a limited budget, but it's still a shame. All things considered, I might be smelling a race traitor tag in my near future the way things are shaping up. Also, I gotta throw some additional love at the adventurers hall stretch goal. Fuck yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom