Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #56: Paladins and Wild Orlans

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian Entertainment's Josh Sawyer has penned a new Project Eternity update, having to do with the Paladin class as well as Wild Orlans, who are supposed to look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Though they can be found on a few continents, wild orlans in this part of the world are typically found in the deepest forests of Eír Glanfath. In recent centuries, the biases of surrounding colonial cultures have driven them even farther from new settlements. Considered savage and uncontrollable by many Dyrwoodans, Vailians, and Readcerans, wild orlans often find interactions with outsiders strained if not outright violent. Many colonists pre-judge all orlans as untrustworthy and bloodthirsty, but within that vein of racism, they often classify wild orlans as "the bad ones". Given the difficulty of concealing their hirsute bodies and faces, prejudice follows them in most colonial areas.​

And here's a snippet on Paladins:

In Project Eternity, we wanted paladins to maintain their sense of selfless passion and zeal without being bound to concepts like "alignment" or a universal moral code. We also wanted their mechanics to be distinctive from the other classes while reinforcing their role in the world. Area designer Bobby Null has always liked the marshal class from D&D 3.5, which is conceptually similar to the warlord in 4E: combat leaders who are at their best when they are augmenting their teammates. This is the approach that I took when developing Project Eternity's paladins. They have persistent modal auras, strong single-target healing and buff abilities (contrasting the broad AoE effects of clerics), and can passively grant bonuses to teammates in close proximity.

In the game's lore, paladins are zealous champions of a cause that may be religious, philosophical, or cultural in nature. The "foundational" paladins in this part of the world were the legendary elite guards of Darcozzi Palace in the Grand Empire of Vailia (now Old Vailia). They set standards for selfless dedication, unwavering loyalty, and inspiring leadership that have become the pillars for similar orders that have sprung up in the two millennia since they were founded. Even among orders where the chosen cause is perceived as bleak or malevolent, paladins always place the cause ahead of their own personal interests.

In Defiance Bay, recent experiments performed by animancers and ciphers suggest that paladins' souls are continuously "burning" wellsprings of spiritual energy that are overflowing their physical vessels due to the paladins' fanaticism. When ciphers have tried to directly perceive paladins' souls, they have described the experience as uncomfortable or painful, not unlike gazing at the sun.​

For a list of all of the Paladin's abilities, check out the full update.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    EXTERMINATUS!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Reviving Exhortation sounds needlessly complicated, also the verb doesn't mesh too well with the rest, they could have just called it "Exhort life" or some such. I see that they also tried to maintain a certain religious nomenclature to the abilities, but they either go all the way or not, abilities like coordinated attacks and shake it off do not fit in.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Stupid ability names that bring 4th ed to mind? How quaint.

^ Top  
  5. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I actually like the look of Orlans.

99% chance I won't be playing as a paladin, so they're of little interest to me.

^ Top  
  6. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Parrots:
    What's a paladin?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:
    A miserable pile of lay on hands.

^ Top  
  8. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    The butthurt about paladins not being required to be good guys is pretty funny.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Butthurt? Where? Link me. :cool:

^ Top  
  10. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Oh yeah, there are some dumbasses there. I'm surprised at the number of people upset about the paladin's role. It seems lots of people really want paladins to be "fighters with a fancy name and an alignment restriction".

^ Top  
  12. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    Parrots:
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Why did Josh stop doing video updates? Does he feel fat?

^ Top  
  13. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Parrots:
    I always roleplayed my pally as a zealous selfrighteous warrior. The GM hated me, when I punched my way

[​IMG]

Crazy churchman pally best pally.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Furries now? Wow.. :roll:

^ Top  
  15. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Parrots:
    I'm looking forward to playing a party-based dungeon crawler in a world populated by dwarves, elves, and hobbits orlans.

^ Top  
  16. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Ugh. Managing those tiny variations in auras and buff radius will be a pain in the arse in RTwP.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Parrots:
    The thing about these ridiculous high fantasy races is that they are rarely dealt with in a believable way:
    Let us imagine; if one of these was seen as a freak by humans, and hanged, skinned and alienated from their societies, and they in turn, despise humans for being intolerant, but at the same time being just as cruel and racist, I would agree with their inclusion, because it would tie into a real-feeling medieval world.
    What Obsidian will probably do, as it is always done, is put them there to fill a certain role in a party, or to create a sense of "diversity" within their world.
    When given the oportunity to create a world from scratch, Obsidian has redone every fucking fantasy race cliche.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Parrots:
    Insufficiently furry furries at that.

^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Why would humans react that way to a member of a race they've co-inhabited the world with for millennia?

Grimdark does not equal realistic.

^ Top  
  20. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Parrots:
    This. Early contact might have looked, like that, but generally what you'd have after time has passed would be those races that survived and learned to cohabit the world, and those that had some important factors keeping the power balance stable.

^ Top  
  21. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Parrots:
    I don't know, maybe, just maybe, humans have been racist and cruel towards each other for millenias (and still are), and for cultural and physical traits far less exaggerated than these "Orlans" have.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

Racist and cruel, but not "hanged and skinned". Anyway, you want realistic race relations in a high fantasy world? How about this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post414911273

^ Top  
  23. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Who gives a shit about Obsidian's slight variations on tired fantasy tropes?

There are still people who care about this setting? It's just another Forgotten Realms with a few twists.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe, but that doesn't mean we should give a shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Parrots:
    Look, I also can make up generic lore.
    What makes this different from Elder Scrolls shitty lore?

^ Top  
  25. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)