Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #49: Prototype Demo

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Look at his comment history, I'm pretty sure he's just an idiot.

Yep. He's just a broken BioDrone with pubic hair growth issues.

Dorateen

Arcane
Well, the landscape looks nice. I would like to have seen a demonstration of party management, if it was implemented at this stage. It was encouraging to see that the other two party members could hold their ground as the lead guy moves on to explore some distance ahead. But I want to see taking control of another character(s) in action.

Deleted member 7219

That really does look amazing. The environment, lighting and movement effects from the trees, water etc look gorgeous. I'm also relieved to see they've made the character models look like they belong in a modern game - I was never a fan of how they looked in the Infinity Engine.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Owned again, inEPTile.

While I'm terribly impressed with your arbitrarily-chosen contempt for inXile, you certainly have a funny definition for "owned", Roguey.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=owned
Makes sense to me.

I'm talking about the inxile clown posse and their terrible, terrible artists.

Are you sure that's really fair? We know that the first screenshot was originally made by a couple of art students over the weekend,
then swiftly touched up by the artists before it was pushed out the door. Accusing InXile's artists of ineptitude before they've had a chance
to really work on it seems a little premature to me. Couldn't it have been tight scheduling instead of incompetence?
Because I think anyone could tell it looked rushed, like half the textures were missing from the bloom one.
And that was basically the excuse they gave isn't it? "Improvement to come"?

The game hasn't even hit pre productionon yet, so let's give them some time before branding them bad at their jobs, m'kay?
I'm comparing this to Wasteland 2 as well. And the perspective issues in the Torment shots are inexcusable.

Deleted member 7219

From Youtube:

You do realize Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins are both old school RPG's. And both of them sold well over 1.5 million. Now 1.5 million is a large number but yes it doesn't compare to CoD BO2 with it's sales over 10 million. However if you multiply that 1.5 million by 60 which is what most new games sell for you get 90 million. Now THAT is a large number. 4 million to 90 million really doesn't sound like a bad investment to me.

Soon, these people will call Oblivion and Dragon Age 2 old school RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From Youtube:

You do realize Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins are both old school RPG's. And both of them sold well over 1.5 million. Now 1.5 million is a large number but yes it doesn't compare to CoD BO2 with it's sales over 10 million. However if you multiply that 1.5 million by 60 which is what most new games sell for you get 90 million. Now THAT is a large number. 4 million to 90 million really doesn't sound like a bad investment to me.

Soon, these people will call Oblivion and Dragon Age 2 old school RPGs.

derp retailers work for free amirite? :retarded:

A user named cat

Hell yeah, finally we see it animated. Looks great even with just a few frames looped.

KbniGHN.gif

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Immersion is a product of suspension of disbelief, which broadly is the extent to which a game is able to substitute its laws of reality above the player's own. Good mechanics, narrative and a well-realized world will always produce better immersion than good, hyper-detailed 3D visuals.

Wait.

Seriously, dude? What the fuck.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Looks impressive. What else to say? Wonderful to finally see a modern attempt at this type of game. Regardless if Obsidian will finally succeed or fail as usual, there's a slight chance for the genre to be resurrected. Talk about snowballs in hell.

At least we have it now established: visuals seem to be not a problem for Obsidian. Better the tricks they used to keep the "background" running will not set graphics cards on fire. They're fully capable of that. Don't tell me otherwise.

Leaving the demo aside... seriously, they could've replaced Sawyer with somebody more representative in the videos. He has charisma of golem. It's disturbing to watch.

Cynic

Arcane
So.... Based on what we know so far, the entirety of the game takes place by that waterfall?

They're in pre production darkunderbro. It's kind of like writing all your base classes before you build the entire application. You know what tools you will basically need to get the shit done, but you need it all built before you can get that shit done.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So.... Based on what we know so far, the entirety of the game takes place by that waterfall?
it's probably the starting area or intial "tutorial dungeon"
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. They just felt like they had to animate that initial screenshot they showed people. Who knows where or what it actually is.
Well, based on empirical evidence using in-depth metrics of the gaming industry, this one area will become "the demo area". "The Demo Area" will be used everywhere and in all future media in order to showcase all the sexy features and options that exist in said game... Only to the detriment of all other areas, as when the game is released, it's discovered that said demo area is the only area where all these features exist and the game designers blew their entire budget on it. The rest of the game, meanwhile, has a distinctive "we ran out of money" feel. There's an example in here somewhere with Bethesda and Fallout 3.

Making one area look good is fine. Making those features work (or be useful) across multiple different areas and scenarios is more difficult. Just so long as they're not blowing the entire budget just making one area "look cool" ("Hey, we can make water rise up and down! How neat! Now how many other places do we actually use all this code? None? Ok, right... so... not really all that useful then huh?") then great, but if all they've done so far is twiddle with a waterfall, well, it'd be nice to see something else.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. They just felt like they had to animate that initial screenshot they showed people. Who knows where or what it actually is.
Well, based on empirical evidence using in-depth metrics of the gaming industry, this one area will become "the demo area". "The Demo Area" will be used everywhere and in all future media in order to showcase all the sexy features and options that exist in said game... Only to the detriment of all other areas, as when the game is released, it's discovered that said demo area is the only area where all these features exist and the game designers blew their entire budget on it. The rest of the game, meanwhile, has a distinctive "we ran out of money" feel. There's an example in here somewhere with Bethesda and Fallout 3.

Making one area look good is fine. Making those features work (or be useful) across multiple different areas and scenarios is more difficult. Just so long as they're not blowing the entire budget just making one area "look cool" ("Hey, we can make water rise up and down! How neat! Now how many other places do we actually use all this code? None? Ok, right... so... not really all that useful then huh?") then great, but if all they've done so far is twiddle with a waterfall, well, it'd be nice to see something else.

Don't mind me, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

In before Waterfall City.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Making one area look good is fine. Making those features work (or be useful) across multiple different areas and scenarios is more difficult.

what you clearly don't get is the fact that they're doing groundwork right now, and no special features for selected areas. they're developing the visual style and the tools needed to create a modern isometric game within unity. after developing the pipeline the full production cycle starts. btw direct profiteer of their works is inxile - in contrary to obsidian they're just reusing and adapting a pipeline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom