Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #43: Godlikes and Animation

Indranys

Savant
^ Codex review: "It's Banal. Shit. Boring. Nothing we haven't seen 1000 times already and done better."

"Btw, might I interest you in this 25 year old turn based masterpiece I praise to no end? It will surely make you monocled."

:thumbsup:
10 years in the future at the Codex.

Newfag said:
Shit Elder Scrolls 10 is:decline:!!!!!11
Skyrim was way better than this popamole shit.

Gozma

Arcane
Ripping off shit I knew before I reached nostalgia cutoff age: A-OK
Ripping off shit after I reached nostaliga cutoff: Hey stupid, go fuck yourself

Sannom

Augur
The satyr bitch is OK.
Why do people keep calling her a satyr? Horns do not a satyr make, legs do! And she does not have them!

I just hope now that setting won't suck and be a uninspired boring shit, like Dragon Age for example...
So far P:E doesn't have the equivalent of the rampaging orcs, so it's automatically better than Dragon Age. Also, potential for more monsters and a few fantasy races aside from the the 'Big 3' of Dragon Age.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The satyr bitch is OK.
Why do people keep calling her a satyr? Horns do not a satyr make, legs do! And she does not have them!

I just hope now that setting won't suck and be a uninspired boring shit, like Dragon Age for example...
So far P:E doesn't have the equivalent of the rampaging orcs, so it's automatically better than Dragon Age. Also, potential for more monsters and a few fantasy races aside from the the 'Big 3' of Dragon Age.
The amaumamuwhatever fill the same role as orcs do.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Doesn't matter, though, as long as they're not the mindless evil race for the purpose of trash mobs.

Rake

Arcane
The satyr bitch is OK.

i don't think that amauma will be the rampaging horde that threatens civilization.

Lancehead

Liturgist
They've shown an aumamauaua wizard who's more fat than burly. So there's a chance they'll be notably removed from orcs.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know man, just ripping of plane-touched - which were lame and unoriginal to begin with is pretty sad. Why can't god-like be something unique to the setting? Why do they look like something that'd make WotC sue them?

Sannom

Augur
Regardless, they're the token big burly monstrous race that is fit for barbarians.
That's not what orcs are. Orcs are a rampaging, barbarian horde made up of morons unable to speak in something else than the third person, when they can speak at all. They're the enemy all civilized races tend to unite against . The Amaua are described as being dominant over two parts of the world, and integrated in many other cultures.

No, they don't. You can make a decent argument that Orlans are basically surface-dwelling Svirfneblins, but there are no real ressemblance between the Amaua and the Orcs as a race or culture.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're obviously not like orcs, but they are kind of like half-orcs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Whatever you say bruh, it's just a different background. In the end they exist to be the half-orc in the character race selection.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Go on their forums and tell them genasi suck.
I'm fucking tired of all my arguments being compared to broccolis, apples, oranges and other fruits and vegetables. I want to eat heavy after I visit that place.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Regardless, they're the token big burly monstrous race that is fit for barbarians.
That's not what orcs are. Orcs are a rampaging, barbarian horde made up of morons unable to speak in something else than the third person, when they can speak at all. They're the enemy all civilized races tend to unite against . The Amaua are described as being dominant over two parts of the world, and integrated in many other cultures.

No, they don't. You can make a decent argument that Orlans are basically surface-dwelling Svirfneblins, but there are no real ressemblance between the Amaua and the Orcs as a race or culture.

That's the standard, vanilla orc, but orcs have been "reimagined" so many times that now their role is basically just to exist as something humanoid, but not-human-looking, so people can comment on how the game/novel/movie/whatever is either totally subverting what we've come to expect from fantasy or reverently returning to the roots of classic fantasy.

Which the aumauau fit perfectly no matter what they do!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But it's got Celtic names or something. And guns!
I wonder who came up with the idea for this "setting". Likely Sawyer. He's definitely capable of this pure yawnery in both world and mechanic design.
FYI Sawyer's unique fantasy setting pitch was rejected internally at Obsidian because "it didn't look like a fantasy game." http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/374937522343528900

Adam Brennecke pitched the "Let's just do BG but better" idea.

Sannom

Augur
They're obviously not like orcs, but they are kind of like half-orcs.
That, I will give you.

That's the standard, vanilla orc, but orcs have been "reimagined" so many times that now their role is basically just to exist as something humanoid, but not-human-looking, so people can comment on how the game/novel/movie/whatever is either totally subverting what we've come to expect from fantasy or reverently returning to the roots of classic fantasy.
Just forget the name, I'm really talking about the concept of the barbarian horder made up of sentient, bestial and stupid creatures. That's what the Witcher lacked and that I really appreciated, and that Dragon Age had with the Darkspawn which made me a tad mad.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This argument for a generic setting make me sad: "the reason was because the unusual choices of characters, equipment, and landscape made it difficult for a person to look at a scene and think, "This is a fantasy setting." People who have their brains fried because they can't define what they are seeing in a comfortable label are pathetic, it is too early to tell but if Obsidian start copying everything they can from D&D (because people can't understand anything different) then we will have a Dragon Age less faggy edition.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
I don't quite understand the safe approach... they already made 4 MILLION dollars. Throw the D&D guide out the window and really get creative to make something new?

Yea it takes more drive and desire and work....but, they were handed a golden ticket by the community.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I think part of the reason they got 4 million was because they went with something safe.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
FYI Sawyer's unique fantasy setting pitch was rejected internally at Obsidian because "it didn't look like a fantasy game."

Well, I'd be curious how unique was his idea, but hey, cool. I'm in a good mood today, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

People who have their brains fried

Likely same people who listened to "how to grapple ooze?" and thought "lol, yeah, haha, this guy knows what he's talking about!".
But, it's true that most people don't want to get out of known territory. And Obsidian is making the game for the majority. Don't even doubt that.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
But, it's true that most people don't want to get out of known territory. And Obsidian is making the game for the majority. Don't even doubt that.

Call me crazy, but I think even a game that is made for the majority can have new stuff in it (and I think the majority responds well to it).

Really, the big reason why companies stay to same stuff is because it is easy. You have plenty of material to just grab and plug into your product. Making a really cool take on an orc takes some work...trial and error...many concepts to refine the design and hit on something cool. Grabbing a generic orc and plugging it in takes a quick google image and telling your artist "do this".

pe-godlike-head-concepts.jpg

You shouldn't have announced this. It has no creative touch to it at all. Not necessarily bad thing when your aim is strictly to copy familiar material (use a less loaded term if you want, but that's essentially what you're doing with the fundamentals of the PE setting via Forgotten Realms), but you should really have let it reveal itself without an announcement. It has nothing going on to attract any praise.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Call me crazy, but I think even a game that is made for the majority can have new stuff in it (and I think the majority responds well to it).
They're going the Morrowind-route of easing you into the stranger aspects.

More original ideas http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11iox8/we_are_chris_avellone_tim_cain_and_josh_sawyer/c6mty3k
JESawyer: Personally, there are two settings/ideas I'd like to explore. One is a setting called Antebellum that is an alternate Earth stuck in the late 19th century at the outbreak of the Civil War after spirit armies swarm over the American South, Ireland, India, and a variety of other places. I'd mostly like to explore the idea of different power groups (e.g. slave owners and slaves) being paralyzed by inaction due to the thread of reactive spirit groups coming to the defense of any party being victimized.
The other game I've wanted to make for a long time is one in which you play a player-defined St. George in the 3rd century Near East who enters a land terrorized by the Dragon. All conversation is abstracted into incomprehensible foreign language and the entire game looks like it is a moving Greek Orthodox icon painted on wood and plaster. As George suffers in the world, the icon fades, cracks, and chips away over time. I'd want it to be more about mood, atmosphere, and subtle body language/character interaction than a scripted narrative and fierce gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom