Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Project Eternity: Josh Sawyer Interview at InGenre, and More

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Chris Avellone; Feargus Urquhart; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Expectedly, Project Eternity-related interviews continue to appear, and the most interesting of all recent ones is arguably a quick interview with Josh Sawyer at InGamer. Have some snippets:

IG – Many of the games you worked on used versions of the Dungeons & Dragons rules. What is your opinion on how that translated into video games and what experiences from that do you feel are affecting the systems being designed for Project Eternity?

JE – Translating a turn-based game into real-time is a challenge, but I’m glad we didn’t have to do it in reverse! A lot of rules slide over without much difficulty, but others get complicated (e.g. Attacks of Opportunity). And because you’re simulating virtual rounds, the pacing can feel really awkward in real-time. For Project Eternity, I’d like to keep the overall feeling of pacing and management, but we don’t need to be bound by rounds or the timing rules of the AD&D games. This should allow the characters to feel more responsive to commands and to have more flexible timing windows for the use of abilities.

IG – What are some of your favorite games that helped influence your style?

JE – For RPGs, Darklands, Pool of Radiance, and Fallout are the big ones. For Project Eternity, there might be a few Darklands-inspired ideas or mechanics that creep their way in when appropriate. I loved the sense of exploration and strong tactical combat in Pool of Radiance. I credit Fallout for influencing how I view player agency and how to give the player options that span a broad spectrum.

IG – In a similar frame, what are some other media that you really liked, such as novels or movies, that helped influence your style?

JE – I don’t read a lot of fiction, but I really enjoy Umberto Eco’s stories for how they handle language and unravel the idea of recorded history as truth, how easily that information gets distorted or slips away. The final line of The Name of the Rose is, “Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.” “Yesterday’s rose remains in name, we hold empty names.” Put more bluntly, history is gone. We weren’t there to experience the beauty and horror of the world before us. All we have are the indelible marks they have left on the world and the often unreliable accounts that have been passed to us by previous authors. It’s depressing if you think about how easy it is to manipulate that information. I love films, particularly those of the Coen Brothers. I really appreciate how they handle dialogue, character development, and pacing. Other favorites are Brazil, The Mission, and Lawrence of Arabia.​

In related news, there are also
    Finally, a Kickstarter update from Tim Cain should be coming later today.
    Kz3r0, Jaesun and Infinitron Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    [​IMG]

I'm glad that Mr Sawyer can at least smile again.
    Roguey and Mangoose Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Listening to the audio interview. It's pretty good, the interviewer is a bro.
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Hey, Feargus fucked up. He said Inon Zur did the PS:T soundtrack. :rpgcodex:
    ^ Top  
  5. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  6. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Lack of rounds + mention of abilities in a time-bound context + what Tim Cain said about actions becoming available to perform in the Reddit update = twitchfest next gen shit complete with KOOL-downs for the next gen kids. AND GODLIKE RACES OMIGOD ITS SO AWESUM IM CUMMING BUCKETS. JUST WHAT WE ALWAYS IMAGINED.

Seriously, this is sounding more and more like a bad joke.
    Roguey Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  7. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Godlike races are more like DnD "planetouched" they already clarified this.

It's also heavily implied that Gods are not "godlike" as we think about it in P:E, but more like Greek Gods or Arcanum Gods.
    ^ Top  
  8. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    MCA
    The Name of the Rose is one of my favorite novels. So there is that.
    ^ Top  
  9. Morality Games Savant

Morality Games
    Obsidian RPGs have always been less about the combat and statistics and more about the setting and characters. Take what you can get.
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    :necro:
    ^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
    Hey, this guy might be all right after all.
    ^ Top  
  12. Morality Games Savant

Morality Games
    I've got to show that video to someone.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)