Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prisonscape - a prison RPG

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
I know they're all a real thing but fuck can I say? The names are ridiculous.
Especially the "Neutral inmates". "Boy, you wanna watch yourself around here. The neutral inmates are some hardcore, stone cold muthafuckas."

Also drop the ranks for intimidation, fighting and pickpocketing. I know you assholes probably wanted to fill out the screen with skills real fucking bad but to me it just looks lazy as shit.

That's an old screenshot. Those skill names were originally meant to be as placeholders, since there's no point in showing all the ranks of one skill. Here's a more recent one:

character_menu_17.png

vmode

Heaviest Matter
Developer
What's with the hate towards Java as a development platform?

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say because it's viewed as "baby's first programming language" and is associated with buggy, unoptimized and unfinished games by amateurs. People also probably have bad memories of Java applets.

In reality, there's nothing wrong with choosing Java for your game.

You pretty much nailed it. Especially Java applets were problematic (and still are, security wise) back in the day. These days Java is a mature platform and it's up to the programmer to make sure the game is optimized properly.

That being said, Java will be bundled with Prisonscape so the end user doesn't have to deal with installing or updating Java.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
We've started working on the battle system, here's a short work-in-progress GIF of how it currently looks:

grid-battle.gif

We have also decided to implement the "card system" that Lhynn suggested in here.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I like how visceral it is, but the blood spraying in the wrong direction makes it look a bit odd.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
It has been a while since our last update, mostly because we've been doing stuff "under the hood", mostly coding and scripting. We've done a little overhaul on the graphics, though, and here are some GIFs as a proof:

VLKI83I.gif

JaKSLyF.gif

5TUjGLS.gif

Basically we just added more contrast to everything to make it really "pop out", and it also gave the game a more grittier look. Of course we are still far away from done and the environment looks really static. More inmates need to be added and they need to do something (talk to each other, play dominos, etc.) and the environment also needs some movement like flies flying around the garbage bins, rats running around TV's showing soap operas.

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks pretty fucking good, is someone in charge of the music/sounds in the game? Also will you be able to cross someone elses grid? ally grid, enemy grid, etc?

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
We've started working on the battle system, here's a short work-in-progress GIF of how it currently looks:

I'm guessing that 'Cum on his face' isn't in the cards.

I kid. I've always had this weird infatuation with prison settings in video games, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

vmode

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Looks pretty fucking good, is someone in charge of the music/sounds in the game? Also will you be able to cross someone elses grid? ally grid, enemy grid, etc?

Hey Lhynn, sorry for the late reply.

You can hear some samples here https://soundcloud.com/kc_portman/prisonscape-soundtrack-teaser.

I'll probably start implementing the grid in the beginning of next year, so we'll see how the grid falls into place. For now we've been trying to get the alpha ready, i.e. finishing all the stuff you can do in the County Jail.

Did Pekka contact you about alpha testing yet?

Lhynn

Arcane
Hey Lhynn, sorry for the late reply.

You can hear some samples here https://soundcloud.com/kc_portman/prisonscape-soundtrack-teaser.

I'll probably start implementing the grid in the beginning of next year, so we'll see how the grid falls into place. For now we've been trying to get the alpha ready, i.e. finishing all the stuff you can do in the County Jail.

Did Pekka contact you about alpha testing yet?
He told me a few months ago he would let me know, next week my vacations start and i should have free time!

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
We came up with some new features for the battle in the game. Basically we want most of the fights to have consequences, there's more details in this blog post:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/prisonscape/news/fighting-and-consequences

The game will be quite heavy on dialogue (not as much as Torment but still a lot), do you think this is a good or bad thing? Let's assume that the dialogue is well-written and interesting.

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks p. good. You going to make different scenarios for the interrogation? thatd give it a little variety.
And how do you escape a fight? will it rely on skill, stats, luck, all of it?

And about alert level, you should have an idea of how alerts the guards are, even if you cant tell exactly what level it is. maybe a verbose explanation detailing their behavior that would apply to different levels.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
We came up with some new features for the battle in the game. Basically we want most of the fights to have consequences, there's more details in this blog post:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/prisonscape/news/fighting-and-consequences

The game will be quite heavy on dialogue (not as much as Torment but still a lot), do you think this is a good or bad thing? Let's assume that the dialogue is well-written and interesting.

Good idea about combat. I'm assuming it doesn't get too tedious, and that combat doesn't have to happen too often.

I agree that the more good dialogue, the better.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Looks p. good. You going to make different scenarios for the interrogation? thatd give it a little variety.

Yes there will be different interrogation scenarios depending on various factors, including the player's stats, skills, any random events that are active and maybe even the guards who are interrogating.

And how do you escape a fight? will it rely on skill, stats, luck, all of it?

Agility, intelligence, fighting skill, the layout of the grid, enemy and any special effects that are in play.

And about alert level, you should have an idea of how alerts the guards are, even if you cant tell exactly what level it is. maybe a verbose explanation detailing their behavior that would apply to different levels.

We will probably use a GTA style star system ranging from 1 to 5 "alarm lights".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have you considered a less explicit alert level? As in, no GTA style lights or anything, but some comment by some inmate when you ask him how things are, e.g.-
Player: How're things?
With possible responses being-
Convict: Things are quiet.
Convict: A beat up here or there, same old.
Convict: Things aren't looking good. The guards're getting jumpy.
etc.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Are there going to be drug lines in the prison?
John Cheever said:
But in the vastness of his opium eater’s consciousness was—no more than a grain of sand—the knowledge that if his inspired knowledge of the earth’s drugs was severed, he would face a cruel and unnatural death. Congressmen and senators sometimes visited prison. They were seldom shown the methadone line, but twice when they had stumbled on this formation they had objected to the sweat of the taxpayers’ brow being wasted to sustain convicted felons in their diseased addiction. Their protests had not been effective, but Farragut’s feeling about visiting senators in prison had turned into a murderous hatred since these men might kill him. The fear of death is for all of us everywhere, but for the great intelligence of the opium eater it is beautifully narrowed into the crux of drugs. To starve to death, to burn or drown in the bliss of a great high, would be nothing at all. Drugs belonged to all exalted experience, thought Farragut. Drugs belonged in church. Take this in memory of me and be grateful, said the priest, laying an amphetamine on the kneeling man’s tongue. Only the opium eater truly understands the pain of death. When one morning the orderly who gave Farragut his methadone sneezed, this was for Farragut an ominous and a dreadful sound. The orderly might come down with a cold, and considering the nature of the prison bureaucracy, there might not be anyone else who had permission to issue the drug. The sound of a sneeze meant death. [Falconer, pp. 39-40]

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm in like flynn. I actually always thought a Prison game has not been done before and you guys did it :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom