Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Prisonscape - a gritty, uncompromising prison-based RPG / Adventure KickStarter

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Will it feature tastefully done rape?

For once, that'd mean something.

Balor

Arcane
Will it feature tastefully done rape?

For once, that'd mean something.

Yea, it is surprising it was not the first question to be asked.
I wonder whether it is a sign of decline or incline.

He says it's "inspired by the Wire". I lost any interest here. It means it's an "edgy", suburban, silver spoon-fed, hipster from a humanities department who "knows the gritty reality of prison". It's too overwhelmingly pretentious for me to possibly bear.

5M2Qb4o.gif

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
He says it's "inspired by the Wire". I lost any interest here. It means it's an "edgy", suburban, silver spoon-fed, hipster from a humanities department who "knows the gritty reality of prison". It's too overwhelmingly pretentious for me to possibly bear.
this is exactly what an overwhelmingly pretentious hipster would say

Reminds me of one of the best conversations in GTA 5.

BTW, wasn't there already a prison rpg that looks exactly like this one in the works?

jdinatale

Cipher
No offense but everything about this game looks like utter shit. I wouldn't buy it if it was in a $5 bundle.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Shoddy slashing shank with cloth handle.

How long do these names get?

Isn't this like THE RPG (Rape-Pimps-Ganglife) half the Codex has been waiting for? Gang It deserves backing for the novelty alone + TB.

However, if you don't put the Rape into the game, don't be surprised when anuses will be pounded.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i read this early in the morning and thought i read "planescape". you people are not very nice, doing this to me.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Is this set in an American prison? Because all other Western/European prisons are a hilarious joke compared to our gladiator schools.

Monty

Arcane
Is this set in an American prison? Because all other Western/European prisons are a hilarious joke compared to our gladiator schools.
Breivik's quest for an upgraded Playstation not 'visceral' enough for you?

kaizoku

Arcane
BTW, wasn't there already a prison rpg that looks exactly like this one in the works?

I remember that there is another prison rpg done years ago by russians.
I don't recall its name, but I'm almost sure there where some threads in the codex about it.
IIRC it was very codexian with non PC themes like rape and racism.
fake edit: Planet Alcatraz

Isn't this like THE RPG (Rape-Pimps-Ganglife) half the Codex has been waiting for? Gang It deserves backing for the novelty alone + TB.

However, if you don't put the Rape into the game, don't be surprised when anuses will be pounded.

nah, codex is still waiting for that tranny game.
at best this will have cross-dressers, but I doubt it.

Russian prisons are still the best.

sser

Arcane
Developer
An RPG with no story where you're stuck in one of the most boring places on Earth.

Come on.

Did the guy get framed for murder or did he actually do it? Does he need to escape to rescue his brother from German organ traffickers? Does he have a lawyer on the outside who thinks the actual murderer is inside, and he just need to find him and prove it? What is the goal of the game?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

An RPG with no story where you're stuck in one of the most boring places on Earth.
Sounds like oblivion. Why would anyone want that? :M

Srsly, bro: Prison is the most boring place in the world? Hmm. The time in your cell, maybe, but meals? Yard time? Laundry time? Being surrounded by brutal killers, rapists, and guards all who can and probably will hurt you if you look weak or screw up in the delicate game of prison politics sounds more terrifying than boring to me to me.

I for one hope the authors don't get to muddled in what the story should be and focus on the simulation. Let the goal be what path the player chooses: escape, become a power player in the prison, survive long enough to educate yourself and defend your case, survive long enough to figure out what your goal is etc.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Prison is actually boring as fuck for the vast majority of people who go in and for the majority of their time. Obviously, it's a game and not real life, but this is why prison T.V. shows or movies or whatever spice that shit up with... storyteling. Or something. Like a plot. Where characters have a purpose. The purpose of the game can be to do whatever. My point is they have not actually stated what the goal of the game is. You gotta feed people something on this. "You're in prison." "Oh, cool, what're you doing?" "Well, you're in prison." Cutesy pixel-graphics and throat slashin' isn't going to convince anyone. Wrapping hardboiled prison-grit in a brightly colored presentation probably isn't going to do it, either. Kickstarter is inundated with this exact style. There are people producing some genuinely beautiful pixel-art, so if you don't have that (and this game's style is more of a throwback to SNES) you better have something else. I just don't see it. The pitch just feels a little bare-bonesy when it shouldn't. The game itself has potential, but the pitch is not doing it any favors.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Onnea matkaan sankareille!

Kiitos, sitä tarvitaan!

Did the guy get framed for murder or did he actually do it? Does he need to escape to rescue his brother from German organ traffickers? Does he have a lawyer on the outside who thinks the actual murderer is inside, and he just need to find him and prove it? What is the goal of the game?

I think the story should unfold as the player plays the game. The ultimate goal of the game is to escape for reasons that are revealed in the game. It would be silly to tell them at this point, and spoil the story for potential players.

I for one hope the authors don't get to muddled in what the story should be and focus on the simulation. Let the goal be what path the player chooses: escape, become a power player in the prison, survive long enough to educate yourself and defend your case, survive long enough to figure out what your goal is etc.

Prisonscape is much more adventure game than simulator, and it will concentrate heavily on dialogue, prison hierarchy and social interaction. There is one ultimate goal, and that is to escape, but before that you can certainly become a power player, educate yourself and, of course, survive.

Finally, I would like to thank all of you for great feedback, pledges and constructive criticism. Codex is up there with few others as the site where most pledges have come from, and we appreciate your support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom