Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*redacted*

Cassidy

Arcane
*redacted*

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cassidy said:
Did you forget Sarah's claims about how she could easily control Angartýr's mind? You just jumped right into a trap and the only way out is a big risk.
Kraka was our only ally, or at least a counterweight, to the threat of Sarah and Jacob - barring Ia, of course. We were obliged to try and save her if we wanted to have a chance at this.

It is not like if we didn't come back we would have a plausible deniability, with Angartyr's body in Kraka's mansion and several guards as witnesses to our alliance. If Kraka fell, they would have come after us all the same.

Please... help me... Angartýr... IA... please... awaken... save me...save your people...save yourself... IA... lord... please... worth the risk... IA is no malevolent... take that chance...
:hahano:

No, really. What.

Can you remind me why does Sarah has such a degree of control over Angy's mind? Is it the same with Freyjanna?

What would happen if we transfer our conscience as a way out? Or is it futile since it changes nothing? We could leave the country as Freyjanna... we even could try to outsmart the two. That would probably be the end of Angartyr, though.

What happens to Freyjanna should we agree to leave?

Cassidy said:
But she may yet be saved, for what is left of her sanity
What? That was not there before... :|

:hmmm:

Nope. Still do not want to risk unleashing Ia.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
No, really. What.

Mary had a little lamb,
Little lamb little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb,
whose fleece was white as snow.

Furthermore, do you know those adventure games where a bad decision hours ago have long term doom instead of immediate demise? I like the concept behind it although I do not always agree with its implementation.

Can you remind me why does Sarah has such a degree of control over Angy's mind? Is it the same with Freyjanna?

Did you forget how Freyjanna first met Sarah and Jacob, while they controlled the minds of dozens of people simultaneously keeping them lethargic while feeding on their blood?

After listening to what seemed an eternity of his drivel, she found strange how silent and motionless everyone around her was. Cautiously, Freyjanna observed the people sitting down and listening to what was a long, overdrawn speech. Their eyes were distant, and while Freyvald was looking elsewhere, she waved her hand in front of a man to her left. There was no reaction.

"These people are not right, their minds must be enthralled by a spell." she thought, while continuing to do her best to endure this facade and keep her identity hidden.[...]two individuals coming in, and they went to the left end of the seats, and were walking all around the enthralled people, one row behind her. She also heard a strange sound they were making, almost imperceptible, but not to someone with her senses. She couldn't make out what exactly it was.

Several updates ago Sarah directly mentioned she could control Freyjanna's mind if she wanted to.

"Why are you completely unafraid of me? I still am not so convinced you really have been around for countless tens of thousands of years"

"Oh dear, your mind is like an open book regarding your basic feelings, although I must admit I cannot read your more complex thoughts, yet like a thin twig in my hand I could crush your mind if I wanted," she spoke softly but convincingly, "I could easily do to you what you did to Violet...

What would happen if we transfer our conscience as a way out? Or is it futile since it changes nothing? We could leave the country as Freyjanna. That would probably be the end of Angartyr, though.

It is pretty futile. If Angartýr agrees or lies to agree without attacking the vampires.

and ends sort of like the Vault Dweller in Fallout

They will simply let him and Freyjanna go.

On the other hand, if he tries to shoot the proxy mind controllers and fail, by the time he wrestles enough control to switch back, a thrall will already have Freyjanna strapped to a gurney and headed to an insane asylum awaiting for the mind control procedures.

What happens to Freyjanna should we agree to leave?

She will be on the same ship with Angartýr.

Now, really, trying to solve this like a cowboy has a risk of failure and failure will mean a fate worse than death. The only surefire way to defeat the two undead immediately is IA IA IA.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Can we ask them why they started the war if they are so benevolent and want the best for our people?

Also, if Ia can dominate Sarah's and Jacob's will... wouldn't he be able to dominate us through them? What do we know about him?

Cassidy said:
Now, really, trying to solve this like a cowboy has a risk of failure and failure will mean a fate worse than death.
Now, I have no idea about mechanics in the game, but if the result isn't decided by a die roll, I am leaning on those two options being dead ends.

I am weighting the risks of IAIAIA against starting anew, being immortal and all. So far I find IAIAIA less attractive, and that is saying something.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
Can we ask them why they started the war if they are so benevolent and want the best for our people?

If Angartýr agrees to leave peacefully, that will be mentioned. But if you consider the greater picture, it is near impossible for Vinland to lose such a conflict. Also, at best, they are probably "benevolent" in a "Achieving an utopia justify the means" way plus ruthless EXTREME retribution on those who double cross them, break promises, although Freyjanna is not so different.

Kráka actually promised on pain of having her guts ripped open she would not tell Angartýr that secret

Also, if Ia can dominate Sarah's and Jacob's will... wouldn't he be able to dominate us through them? What do we know about him?

Ia is Angartýr, Ia is Freyjanna, Ia is more than both as well. It is a risk to unleash the n-dimensional Eldritch consciousness and then become 3-dimensional again(IE: hopw roewur ne), but the risk of trying to go solve this conundrum immediately with a big gun is greater.

Now, I have no idea about mechanics in the game, but if the result isn't decided by a die roll, I am leaning on those two options being dead ends.

Where can I roll a non-Euclidean die?

I am weighting the risks of IAIAIA against starting anew, being immortal and all.

The risk of starting anew is twofold: first in having to steal tech from Vinland to get anywhere and second in a possible world government plan by the two undead... although assuming that is their end goal may be delving into crazy conspiracy theorist territory.

Nevill

Arcane
Cassidy said:
If Angartýr agrees to leave peacefully, that will be mentioned. But if you consider the greater picture, it is near impossible for Vinland to lose such a conflict.
Yes, pretty much. But the leak of technology? All that effort we put on keeping Vinland separate from the whole world, gone in an instant. For what?

I don't get their motives. Hell, I don't even get why they are offering us a way out. What, do they think we can be friends some time down the line? Why are they taking the risk yet again? Especially when they know our blood kills them.

It just makes no fucking sense unless they know something that we don't, which would not actually surprise me.

Still, in a game between ancient horrors there are bigger players and bigger stakes. We have introduced a new force to the world, and at least it isn't that much worse than the others.

To hell with it, DA. Maybe Vinland will play an important role in the upcoming conflict. Time will tell.

Cassidy said:
The risk of starting anew is having to steal tech from Vinland to get anywhere and a possible world government plan by the two undead...
So, basically, we are on course to the normal timeline. :salute:

Can we get a seat?

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
D
A

Kraka know about things she shouldn't. I dont think that setting free something outleveling undead vampires this much is a good idea. They are quite cruel, but its still not certain they are against humanity. Kinda expect this whole situation an elaborate way to free her by Kraka or someone using her. Leak of tech is quite good from my perspective. Struggle is a source of Evolution and we need rapid development. Attempt to spread understanding might be correct path. Tech given to rest of world is already obsolete. Angartyr's exile might become a catalyst for change.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
AA Do what we can to remove all conniving manipulators from premises! Assuming the second update is a joke.

Fangshi

Arcane
Monsters and betrayers everywhere we turn, we should purge existence of such filth no matter the cost!

1A
2A

Fangshi

Arcane
1. E, Their tech should be useful even after they are gone.
2. C>A, Don't want to draw too much attention but failing that death to the melonhead overlords!
3. C, Probably should not change too much before we are ready to deal with the big threats.
4. B>C>D, They still have information we could use after all.
5. C, Some things are best done with a bullet.
6. A>B, Don't have a strong preference either way.

Nevill

Arcane
The vamps weren't too bad, all things considered, and Sarah's justification has some truth to it. If they weren't so obnoxious about it and acted as if they hadn't lost their humanity yet instead of being dicks and gloating over their superiority, they could have lived. Oh, well.

1E
2C
3C

Moderation is a virtue here.

4B - Jacob has wisely avoided dealing with us, and so I do not have strong feelings against him. Sarah, though... She deserves everything that is coming to her.
5C - Don't trust to an eldritch God something that you can do yourself. Commense the mass executions!
6A - We can't into playing women anyway.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Awww yiss. There is hope for Vinland yet.

1A - if we want to maintain some sort of cohesion with the direction the country is heading to, it's either this, or dictatorship. And I am not ready to abandon all opportunities to become an hero yet. Besides, humans should be ruled by humans. We risk becoming what Mýrr or Sarah and Jacob were if we assume command without people under our rule having any input whatsoever. Our goals, though supposedly beneficial, are no less alien to the normals.
2A - remove all slavers from premises. We will need to recover from the losses incurred by the war, and there is little economical gain in keeping this institute, yet it is a gunpowder keg waiting to be lit.
3B - Peace! Labour! May! :happytrollboy:

Seriously, though, how these things are done is you introduce the benefits of a new system where the previous was deficient on top of what already works, and then, if radical elements still want to tear it apart (and they would), you either convert them or purge them. As a full-blown revolution is bound to end in blood, and most people don't much care for ideologies, preferring being fed, healthy and free instead, both steps would grant you a massive support from your population, something we seem to be sorely lacking right now.

As for the 'lack of motivation' (yeah, right :lol:), I am sure their stance would change radically when the world becomes advanced enough to have aviation and one would not be able to outlast a war sitting behind a fortified wall. Having to earn the right for survival does wonders to people, and we have no shortage of enemies.

Besides,
a technocratic planned economic model
Academician-Prokhor-Zakharo.png
:love:

4B - he is useful. He will help us reform the country, he will win the people to our cause (don't we need to take back The City to start doing anything with Vinland?), and if he proves too much trouble, he can always be advised to test his ideas in full somewhere else before we start implementing them. Say, in the lands of Rus.

:avatard:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom