Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*redacted*

Cassidy

Arcane
*redacted*

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Voting time! :yeah:

1A Do it legit. Keep the populace happy. Try not to create any more monstrosities...
2A>B A smaller force of elite soldiers for this surgical strike for maximum effect. In and out, quick as possible.
3E With a relatively small force, logistics is less of a concern, and I want the elite force to have as many tools at their disposal as possible.
4D>A Yeah, branching out towards a cleaner energy source would be pretty nifty, again to keep the populace happy.
5B Ironclads are AWESOME. For near-costal fighting. They would be immensely useful for homeland defense. Less so for an attack over the open ocean. Let's focus on the hybrids right now.
6A Power over the flow of information? Yes please..

Jester

Arbiter
1)B - I like the guy he is reasonable, open minded and cooperative. He is valuable asset as ally, as long as he will give his word that he wont spread it.
2)B - Elite with enough size to not be overcome by numbers and enough manpower to siege if needed.
3)E > D - We need at least one weapon for knights with ap, but said weapons wont be effective versus swarms of lesser armored. If i recall corectly those early gunpowder weapons were inferior to crossbows in term of range and bows in term of rate of fire, but were much more shocking. Still with magic in setting its hard to say how good they will be.
4)D - the power of nature, less pollution than industrial age, probably engineering improvements on such complicated project.
5)B - metal ones will be effective only with gas powered engine, standard ones are standard, but steam ones can move as long as there is coal or wood to burn without the wind. With wind they have engine to, better movement etc.
6)A - Thats something we wish to get.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) C - Nationalization is inevitable if we want to create a modern government to go along with modern technologies. A future of the whole country can not be decided by priviate hands. The control over the most important industries must be transferred to the State. Compensate them if you must, but if they ask for something as unreasonable as Isaac did, just take it.

He will not disctate us how to conduct matters that concern millions of our people. This has nothing to do with whether we like him or not. I don't think we can afford to have, say, our military development depend on his whims.

2) B - a good compromise between overextending our forces and not taking this seriously. Ideally I would take some time to develop and mass-produce something akin to tanks/APCs and artillery before launching such a massive war effort. Given the speed of our scientific advances, it seems just possible. If we can't ensure such an overwhelming technological lead, though, we will have to compensate with numbers.

3) E - these weapons all have their place for dealing with different kinds of enemy forces. I see no reason to dismiss any of them.

4) D - State involvement is pretty much necessary to keep the ball rolling.

5) B - a hybrid solution looks preferrable to me.

6) A - yes, a proper propaganda machine is invaluable. The other countries have religion and the Word of God. We have chosen to reveal some uncomfortable truths to our people, so we will have to find other sources to keep them motivated.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
Ideally I would take some time to develop and mass-produce something akin to tanks/APCs and artillery before launching such a massive war effort. Given the speed of our scientific advances, it seems just possible

Something like a Da Vinci tank with a steam engine and metallic plating would be too bulky, slow, hot and devoid of off-road performance to be useful in the Levant.

Anachronism will be the rule from now on.

Jester

Arbiter
Ideally I would take some time to develop and mass-produce something akin to tanks/APCs and artillery before launching such a massive war effort. Given the speed of our scientific advances, it seems just possible

Something like a Da Vinci tank with a steam engine and metallic plating would be too bulky, slow, hot and devoid of off-road performance to be useful in the Levant.

Anachronism will be the rule from now on.
We will steampunk they asses.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, what kind of siege engines are we packing that do not slow us down already?

Shouldn't substituting wheels for tracks alleviate the problem of off-road movement somewhat?

The scientific breakthrough speed is all messed up as a result of our actions, so I have no clue when we can expect to develop heavy combat-ready machinery 'naturally'. Hell, we are discussing ironclad warships already, and the first one of those was only half a century away from the first tank. The assumption does not seem all that unreasonable for a world that leaped into 19th century from 11th.

I am not complaining, though. What we have is enough to steamroll (pun unintended) an army ten times our size. I just think we really need to step up our military doctrine. Vinland is going to have a lot of enemies who would want a piece of our pie in the years to come.

Why, yes, I know, I missed skipped the previous vote. :(

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So, who is the first to come up with a coherent plan?
Cassidy said:
1) On a more personal level, which ranged weapon should Angartýr carry, if any?
Which of the options allows us to equip a gunblade?
gunblade_by_missyokochan.jpg
Or a gunaxe?
gun_axe.jpg
Or at the very least a bayonet. I'll vote for that.

The way I see it, there are several plans we can go with.
Lay waste to the defences completely, awe them with your firepower, make them give what you want without a fight in exchange for their lives and leave. That would be xCF_A.

And try to get the city mostly intact and decide what you do with it from there. In that case it would be better to make an entrance somewhere aside from the main gates and its oil platforms, and let your heavy infantry into the breach. I imagine that shotgun infantrymen would be most effective at that range. Once they are in, we can send our ranged support next. The breach in the wall can be patched if we want to keep the city, and, well, with the firepower we have the enemies will have a much harder time getting inside, especially if we position our crossbowmen and cannons on the walls. That would be xAAAB or xBAAB.

Considering that a good part of our forces is Christian (is it?), it woul be good to know what do they want to do with the city. Do they want us to hold it, or do they want us to leave once we are done and let their brothers in faith take it. I got the feeling it's the latter. So maybe xCEAA is a viable path, too.

What is easier to fix, BTW, the main gate, or a section of the wall?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
That must me one awkward weapon to aim. We probably have to draw a line somewhere, lest we start arming our forces with these:
Rocket_Propelled_Chainsaw.PNG

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh... Cassidy, can we get some of those?
That must me one awkward weapon to aim.
Nah, the top of the axe doubles as a butt stock of the rifle and head houses the trigger assembly. It's a genius axe-rifle!

Nevill

Arcane
That might work. Saracens didn't wear plate mail, they preferred a lighter armor.

Still, if we want to break into the city with its walls still intact, we probably should have some melee capabilities, if only to secure positions for our ranged units.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If you want to keep the men alive, why not destroy the walls completely with 2C and force the opponent to fight basically in an open field? Why go through the gates where there will be casualties?

The gates should only be breached if we care about the state of city fortifications.

Voting BCAAA for ultimate shotgun massacre. The Christians can take the city once we are done with it.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I may have not followed this LP from the beginning very attentively, so I have to ask - is there someone among our acquaintances who can read Necronomicon without grievous harm to themselves? What about Jacob and Sara? Would they be affected, too? Or we don't know that yet?

I always wondered if such books retain their properties if you scan them and put the text through an online translator. A good portion of the horror should dissolve into a healthy laughter. :M

I'll keep it.

How small is the team we are talking about in 2B, and what constitutes a strong mind? Given the way the options are sorted (numbers in the ascending order, reliablity in the descending order) I suppose it's about 6 men?

Since wee managed to take the city without damaging it's defensive capabilities too severely and are not planning to take all of our men with us, sure, let's try to hold it with our own forces.

B C A

Did Jacob and Sara mentioned the physical dimensions of the database? How portable is it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom