Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Primordia - A Point and Click Adventure - Now Available

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The iPhone version has a hotspot highlighter! Problem solved. :)

Oh, thanks! I've been playing these games for 25 years and normally have zero problem with pixel hunting, but for whatever reason Primordia was too much. That should definitely solve the problem.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Possibly some degree of color blindness? Not being facetious, it's something give discovered as I got older that gets taken for granted. Anyway, iOS version is slightly inferior (mouse is always better!) but it's cheaper and solves this issue. :)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Possibly some degree of color blindness? Not being facetious, it's something give discovered as I got older that gets taken for granted. Anyway, iOS version is slightly inferior (mouse is always better!) but it's cheaper and solves this issue. :)

Funny you should say that, because that was my first thought too, when I've read other people don't have any problems. I've had basic tests done way back and everything was fine, but with an unusual pallette like that, it's possible that I have some sort of slight color blindness that standard tests don't cover.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There's a puzzle in the game where you see something kind of like the old Red Reveal decoder, and I had a great exchange with a player who insisted that his version of the game was glitched because on his, it was all red and illegible. Eventually we figured out that, in fact, he couldn't distinguish between shades of red. Primordia: the new WebMD!

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
So we were going through some old files and uncovered some videos we took during the Primordia voiceover recording sessions. With the iOS port coming out this week, I figured it would be a good time to edit the footage together into a compilation video for you all.

The video harkens back to the dark ages of 2012, before I was a dad and we recorded all out games' VO in our studio apartment in the East Village of NYC (now we use a semi-professional audio booth in midtown). Fun times.

The folks in the video are Logan Cunningham as Horatio, Abe Goldfarb as Crispin, Sarah Elmaleh as Clarity, and my wife Janet as the shadow on the wall recording the whole thing.

Enjoy!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
(1) "An old rag." LOL

(2) Hearing Sarah read Clarity is pretty amazing. Even though Logan always gets top billing, she and Abe really embodied their parts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=34533

Hey look it’s not Fallout 4 again.

Actually this episode is the result something Chris and I have been thinking about for a while now. There are a lot of games we’d like to show off or discuss in a bit more detail than you can manage simply by talking about it on the Diecast, but Spoiler Warning as a long-form let’s play series isn’t really the place for them either. So we’ve decided to take the “Twenty Minutes with…” videos that have popped up occasionally (pretty much every time Chris takes over as the player) and spin them off into their own series of Giant Bomb-esque quick looks, with perhaps a general focus on smaller indie titles that we don’t get to cover very often.

This will be purely supplementary to Spoiler Warning; we’re not going to stop our long form LPs any time soon. It also won’t necessarily have to involve the entire cast; just anyone who’s interested and available at the time. You might even see a Twenty Minutes With episode in addition to the Spoiler Warning episodes of a week, provided it doesn’t put too much editing strain on myself or Chris.

For our inaugural installment, I checked out Primordia, an old school-styled point-and-click adventure game about robots in the post-apocalypse, and I dragged Chris along for the ride. It’s pretty cool.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Finished it and really liked it. On to Technobabylon.

How's Shardlight in comparison to Primordia btw?
Primordia>Technobabylon>Shardlight

Thanks. What about "Until I have you"? Looks more like a platformer than an adventure. Why didn't Wormwood go for a Primordia sequel instead? It got rave reviews and sales.

And since I'm new to the whole selection of Wadjet Eye games: Anything else from them considered a must have?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished it and really liked it. On to Technobabylon.

How's Shardlight in comparison to Primordia btw?
Primordia>Technobabylon>Shardlight

Thanks. What about "Until I have you"? Looks more like a platformer than an adventure. Why didn't Wormwood go for a Primordia sequel instead? It got rave reviews and sales.

And since I'm new to the whole selection of Wadjet Eye games: Anything else from them considered a must have?
No idea about "Until I have you".

About WEG - try Gemini Rue, it's also good.

I found Gemini Rue to be on par with a lot of WEG's stronger titles (Blackwell, Resonance), but it's nowhere near the level of Primordia.
It got rave reviews and sales.

You obviously haven't been talking to John Walker, esteemed journalist.

I enjoyed Gemini Rue and would rate it slightly higher than most of WEG's stronger titles (the better Blackwells, Resonance), but it's nowhere near the level of Primordia. I found Shardlight...dumb.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What about "Until I have you"? Looks more like a platformer than an adventure. Why didn't Wormwood go for a Primordia sequel instead? It got rave reviews and sales.
Until I Have You is a only 'published' by Wormwood Studios, it is mostly a one-man project from Primordia's programmer James Spanos.

Blackwell games are decent to good, until the last one which goes EPIC FULL DERP, but the series is definitely worth playing IMO.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sorry, I somehow missed that this thread was updating.

Until I Have You was developed by James Spanos, the brilliant programmer who built Primordia, saved the combat engine in Mage's Initiation, made The Cat Lady's UI's functional, etc., etc. He has as much right to claim the Wormwood Studios mantle as I do, and aside from being a coder, he was a wonderful sounding board throughout Primordia's development. Vic did a bit of art for UIHY, and I did a bit of editing of James's writing, so every WWS core member touched the game, though it is James's baby. It was published by another company.

In my opinion, Resonance is the best WEG title that I am qualified to judge (which is to say, I can't weigh Primordia against them; in my highly biased opinion, Primordia is different and better -- I think Vic's artistry is something different from the skilled technical work in the other games, and I think the story is doing different things than WEG stories normally do): it has some genuinely brilliant design decisions and some great puzzles, its polish is through the roof, the technical aspects of the art are better than in Primordia (things like keyframing of animations, consistently of perspective and scaling, etc.), and the voice acting is solid. I'm not sure how fun it is -- I found the core brilliant design innovation (the short-term memory dialogue inventory) to be a chore, same with the party management. But it's really striking. That said, I don't think I've ever beaten a WEG title other than the freeware Shivah and Primordia, maybe the freeware Blackwell (can't remember).

I think you can put Gemini Rue, Resonance, Primordia, and Technobabylon in a category distinct from the other WEG titles -- those four games are basically the expression of a whole lifetime of adventure game imagination. Primordia is actually different from the other three in that it was a three-man show -- a real partnership. The others had multiple developers but one core developer each. They are basically the one game each of those developers made, and each was a years-long endeavor. The other WEG titles are more commodities made by professional developers: Dave, Francisco, and Ben all make these games for a living now. So insane things that lone creators do with passion projects just aren't there in their games; they're made to be made quickly and to sell well enough to fund the next game. (For instance, I can't imagine Dave ever doing something as wild as naming a hero team Azriel Odin and Cain -- Gemini Rue has the overflowing adolescent exuberance of a trapper-keeper doodle, which makes perfect sense because it was a solo project that had its germ in a Josh's high school or middle school imagination.) The four other games I mention each reflect something like four to six man years of work, rather than the one to two years that the other WEG games reflect. There's a reason why the Blackwell games lack some of the awkwardness you see in the four "hobby" titles -- they're much slicker, a perfected style. But maybe a little less eccentricity. The exception to this is The Shivah, which Dave made before it was his "job," and that's why I like The Shivah so much -- it has that same personal eccentricity. Rabbi fisticuffs!

Why didn't Wormwood go for a Primordia sequel instead? It got rave reviews and sales.
It did not get rave critical reviews. Its amazing fan support took a while to fully demonstrate itself. Nor did its market success immediately show itself. When it launched, the comparison points were Gemini Rue and Resonance. Primordia and Resonance were neck-and-neck for about six months, then Primordia kept selling and never stopped, while Resonance tapered off. This week's sale saw almost as many people playing Primordia as played Technobabylon and Shardlight at launch. Primordia's tail is crazy. (Technobabylon's looks really great too; Shardlight's was very short.)

Anyway, the reasons for no sequel are many and complicated. Here are a few:
- I categorically did not, and do not, want to make a direct sequel to Primordia. The game stands alone well, any sequel jeopardizes its legacy.
- Vic went into a fairly depressed state near the end of the project.
- By the time Vic was refreshed, James had been drafted to serve in the Greek military.
- While James was gone, Vic and I tried to make Cloudscape with another coder, who proved a flake.
- Cloudscape ended with Vic getting depressed again and disappearing for half a year.
- By the time Vic and James were back, my plate was full of TTON and Fallen Gods.
- James thus went ahead and made UIHY so that he could make something without me or Vic.

The fact is that creative people are cyclically moody and getting me and Vic synched up is tricky. Right now he's helping on FG, and he's working on some other stuff too. Maybe Cloudscape will happen some day, but it's tough. I don't have the time or energy I had in Primordia days, and by the time FG is finished, I'll have less time and less energy -- that's how life works, alas.

Anyway, the whole thing is a marvel of joy to me: Wadjet Eye games is a miracle, each of their titles is a miracle, Primordia is a miracle that is personal to me. None of this should have happened, I never hoped it actually would, so the idea that thousands of people have played and enjoyed and paid for Primordia makes me smile any time I'm depressed.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
- I categorically did not, and do not, want to make a direct sequel to Primordia. The game stands alone well, any sequel jeopardizes its legacy.
If more people were like you there'd be a lot more creativity in the entertainment industry :salute:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, since in 20 years of trying to make independent games I've only finished one, if more people were like me there would also be many fewer products in the entertainment industry. :D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, you can always bask in the glory of fans pressing you for sequels :P

BTW is Until I Have You going to be on GOG?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Not sure, but I assume it won't be if it's not there yet. I'll ask James.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom