Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Speaking of that: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/5/12390858/why-is-arkanes-upcoming-prey-game-a-prey-game-at-all

According to Bethesda VP of marketing and PR Pete Hines, the Prey brand shared loose thematic concepts with the type of space shooter-RPG that Arkane wanted to make, and that both companies jumped at the chance to make that opportunity work.

"We talked to Arkane, and they were like, ‘Look, if we can just treat this as a reimagining, and sort of distill this IP down to its very basics, and go nuts with it, and make it our very own, we're totally on board with just doing Prey,'" Hines said. "'Not as a reboot, we can just reimagine it. We'll keep the basic principle of ‘Aliens are hunting you,' and do what we envisioned — that's what we should do. We like the name; if you distill and take out everything you know about the previous game, or the canceled game, and just said the name Prey, it's a cool name. We think it really fits what it is that we're making.'"

Arkane's Raphael Colantonio, lead designer on Prey, added in a later interview that the decision to make the spacefaring shooter they wanted to craft a Prey title was a sensible one.

"We wanted to make that kind of game, and the Prey franchise was available for us to use," Colantonio said. "The name is cool, and there was a match for the high level concepts, which eventually, after some thought, made sense."

Colantonio said he admired many of the things the original Prey accomplished, innovations that were ahead of their time in 2006 — but that the title was nothing like the types of games that Arkane is built from the ground-up to make.

"They were doing some things with interesting, innovative mechanics," Colantonio said. "It's just that the type of games that they made back then, and the type of games that we make are so different, it's hard to directly to compare them, other than the theme."

Both parties were a bit concerned about the confusion that brand shift would cause, particularly if Arkane's title was as complete a departure from the original as they had described. There wasn't a focus on Native American identity and mythology, no gravity-shifting puzzles — "we don't have vagina doors," Hines joked. Ultimately, Arkane was told not to shoehorn in aspects of Prey or its canceled sequel, market confusion be damned.

"We're like, ‘Alright, then we're just gonna swallow the bullet of people either A, asking us about the canceled thing or B, asking us what this has to do with the original Prey, and just go with the thing we think fits from a tone and vibe standpoint, with what we're making," Hines said.

"Ultimately, where we ended up was that it was a cool name that fit the vibe of the game that they're making, so let's go with that, and own it," Hines added. "And eventually, all anyone's really going to care about is: Is the Prey game that Arkane is making that comes out in 2017 really good? Because if it is, that's what everybody's going to associate Prey with."

Also an interview by NVIDIA channel:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
'Adding risk to the challenge of growth'

Corporate talk makes no sense, these cunts would say about death 'it's an opportunity to vector into a new emerging market with considerable margins'

tormund

Arcane
Those explanations of their's really aren't helping. In executive's mind, existing IP is always far preferable to a brand new one, and that is all there is to it. Not to mention that there wasn't any sort or rage or dissatisfaction with this game using Prey name among gamers, wasn't it?
Their justifications come through as extremely forced and dishonest marketing talk, and are completely unnecessary.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...ils-on-preys-rpg-systems-and-alien-world.aspx

Prey's Alien Invaders And Why You Might Choose To Become One
Interview

by Andrew Reiner on August 06, 2016 at 01:21 PM

Prey_Phantoms_QC16.jpg

QuakeCon attendees that braved Dallas' scorching heat, were treated to a cool exclusive look at Arkane Studios' new vision of Prey a couple of days ago. The video bounced from one gameplay sequence to the next, bombarding viewers with quick glimpses at unique weapon and alien powers.

Last night I sat down with Ricardo Bare, the lead designer on the project, and hoped he would provide a little more clarity to my initial look at the game (which you can read here). Bare was open about what to expect, and his answers give us a good idea of the type of game Prey will be when it ships in 2017. He discusses everything from the openness of the world you explore to the little gameplay nuances the team hopes to achieve. You'll even learn that a coffee cup stare down is a part of the game.

Prey's protagonist, Morgan Yu, seems like a lab rat of a character. He isn't the typical empowered character that we usually see in shooters of this ilk. Who exactly is Morgan Yu? What can players expect from him?

Even though the trailers showed a male protagonist, we let the player select their gender. I'm hoping later that we'll show some stuff with the female version of Morgan. Secondly, Morgan is at the center of a series of experiments meant to change humanity.

At the start of the game, when you come out of those experiments, it's not the kind of game where the disaster happened a year or month ago – it just happened. You come out of the experiment and aliens are overruning the station. It happened like moments ago. Most of the people are dead, and they died recently, but not everyone is dead.

You'll occasionally run into little groups of survivors here and there that have either barricaded themselves in or are calling for help. Right off of the bat, you are like "What am I doing on this space station? I don't know how I got here or even why. I don't remember anything." The other question is: What are the aliens doing? They aren't just sitting in rooms waiting for you. They are up to something. Some of the survivors you meet can help or hinder you. You get to choose how you interact with them. How you treat them matters significantly at the end of the game.

You keep saying "aliens." These are extra-terrestrial beings? Not weird botched experiments?

We're going to release a little bit more later about the secret history of the space station, but there's definitely an alien presence, and they have these weird powers. A lot of the background research goes into aero science, paranormal psychology, and psionic stuff. I read so much stuff about actual scientists nowadays that are doing research into this stuff, and they are on the fringe, trying to prove that it's legit that humans have this paranormal ability.

I read tons of material on that and it sort of forms the background fiction. The aliens are basically that. What if they had these powers. Whenever you are progressing through the game, one of the things you can do is use this device called the Neuromod that basically lets you upgrade your skills. It basically rewires your brain with super learning. You can learn the alien abilities, but since their brains are alien brains and not human, you have to scan them. If you want the Mimic ability, you have to find a Mimic and scan it.

Do you have a scanning device?

Yes. We call it the psychscope. It's like taking an MRI mixed with paranormal sensors that show what is going on in the alien brain and is adapted to my brain.

Speaking of Mimic. We got that great example in the video of Morgan transforming into a coffee mug to navigate a small space. Can you turn into anything?

The rule is anything that is roughly your mass or smaller and isn't tied down – like a physics object. So the player can't Mimic the space station. If you walk into a room and it's roughly the size of a player, and it's loose, you can duplicate it. Mimics can too.

This is true to the spirit of Arkane, the Mimics aren't scripted. Some are at the beginning of the game, because we are teaching them about the game and universe, but they generally can do what they want to do. When they walk into a room, they go, "Oh, there are 20 physics objects I can become. The player is coming! Hide! They'll pick one."

I have to ask: Can a Mimic be a coffee mug at the same time as me? Can we battle as mugs?

Yes! We've seen in the game, where the player walks into a room, transforms into a chair, and a Mimic came into the room and mimicked the player mimicking the chair. so then there are three chairs sitting there.

Can these objects battle?

No. It's more of a staring contest of who's going to transform back and smack the other person first.

You described the space station as being open for exploration. Can you give me an idea of how the player will explore it?

It's an open-ended structure. The way I've been trying to describe it is it's an open space station game. If you say open world, people picture like miles of forest. The game is open in the sense of when you open areas, such as the shuttle bay, or repair the elevator that goes all the way up and down the station, I can go to those areas.

When I come back to them, because quests have you going all over the place, there are always new events in them. It's not a mission-based game like "the first mission is here, and I leave that area and I go to this mission." It's one connected continuous world.

If it's not mission based, what am I doing then?

It's almost like the whole game is one, big mission. You are moving through the entire space station to accomplish that mission. But you are also free to go off of the rails and do side quests like, "Oh my god. I just got a call from this guy who is trapped in a cargo container that is floating around the space station, so I'm going to exit the station and space walk over to him to try to rescue him."

That just unlocked another quest. Now, I'm not even paying to the main story any more. I'm just doing stuff with this other guy.

It looks like the player has a lot of choice in terms of how the space station is navigated. What about powers and weapons? Do you feed those to the player in a linear way, or are players sculpting their arsenals to their liking?

You can play the entire game without any alien powers if you want to. That's part of being an Arkane game. We want players to feel like they own the experience, and can customize their play style and tools around what they want.

There are some interesting consequences to the skills that you choose. If you choose to upgrade yourself by inserting alien material into your brain, then things like turrets will begin to recognize you as a threat that isn't human. At first they are on your side and will defend you, but once you start inserting that stuff, they'll think you are alien.

One of the most interesting shots in the E3 trailer was Morgan's eye turning blood red. We saw physical change. Are we going to see this throughout the game if we keep inserting alien material into the brain? Will we see his or her body change?

It's a first-person game, but I will say that you will see yourself in a couple of different ways. I don't want to talk about that specifically because that could be a spoiler.

You look into mirror. Is that the spoiler?

[laughs] Exactly! Yes! The red eye thing in the trailer is a callback to the Neuromods, which are injected through the eye. One way you can recognize someone that is Neuromodded out is that person has red eyes. At least if they did it recently.

So you are running into other characters that have similar powers?

Potentially. [laughs]

Latelistener

Arcane
You can add this http://archive.is/bHEmd and what happened to Call of Cthulhu: DCotE devs to that. Zionmax is as slimy as they get.
Depressing, even the link doesn't seem to lead anywhere.
DCotE is probably the best game that came out with the Zenithesda logo on it in the last 10 years, aside from NV, and they can't even make a patch to make it work somewhat decently on the modern systems. It's a shame what happened to Headfirst.

tormund

Arcane
It works for me (though, I think I've read that archive links are blocked in some countries?).
Here is the relevant part:

Back in 2001 Bethesda Softworks published Echelon in US - the title developed by russian developers Madia. They didn't pay a single cent from boxed sales of the game. Developers wrote an open letter in which they have honestly detailed the whole affair but Bethesda still refused to pay. Battling in american courts is an expensive and time consuming affair, so apparently they decided not to take it to the court.

Here is the letter:

Many people have recently asked us to give our explanation to the present unfavorable state of affairs around the Echelon patch. Not only journalists, but also numerous gamers have sent us hundreds of messages, asking why we do not release the long-expected patch to the game. Gamers' complaints and rebukes have been especially painful to us, as we understand that they have also suffered from the conflict. Still, we long kept silence in hopes to resolve the conflict amicably. But now the time has come to tell all the truth, as it is impossible and useless to keep silence any longer. All this is terribly disappointing to us, the authors of the game. Still we believe that our game not only brought troubles to those who bought it...We believe that many people enjoyed playing it.
When - 4 years ago - we started developing the game, none of us had had an experience of making a full game of this size from the beginning to the end. We could not even imagine then how many difficulties we would be confronted with, and how long the way to the master would turn out to be. The development of Echelon took three years and a half of arduous toil in a small office with no sanitation (cockroaches, the spill tank that never worked, etc). We constantly had no money (we could afford only food then). We had to work on completely outdated computers and with only one 19200 modem for all.

As we had no experience, we often made mistakes and had to begin from the very beginning again and again. While we were developing the game, the technologies, which are the most important for the gaming industry, dramatically changed three times; and three times we had to re-make almost everything in the game. At times we gave ourselves up to total despair, and thought of closing the project-And anyway, we believed that one day we would finish the game, and we braced ourselves and got back to work.

In two years, our Russian publisher Buka signed the publishing agreement with the well-known American publisher Bethesda Softworks. According to the contract, Bethesda was to pay 250000USD in advance (this sum was divided into 5 parts, each of which was to be paid on our finishing a certain stage of development) and to carry out a good advertising campaign in the USA and Canada. The royalty, which Bethesda was to pay us were really small (7%), and we knew that Bethesda had not published any successful products in the last couple of years. But still, we believed that Bethesda would sell the game well in North America (which is one of the world largest and the most important territory for the gaming industry).

We really delayed the release of the game. It would be silly to hold it back now, as everybody knows it, and besides we have just given you the reasons of the delays. We agreed to pay all penalties specified in the contract. Moreover, Bethesda had the right to terminate the agreement at any stage of development, but they did not. They even paid two of the five 50000 USD payments they had to pay according to the agreement. Therefore, we finally completed Echelon, and Buka sent the American master CD to Bethesda. It was perhaps the only mistake, which our Russian publisher mad, but it was A RELLY BIG MISTAKE. The point is that Buka sent the master even in spite of the fact that by that moment they had not yet received the payment , which Bethesda had been to make on the receiving of the beta of Echelon, and even in spite of the fact that though the American release date had already been announced then, there was not advertising campaign at all. Still we believed that the game would be successful and many people would enjoy playing it.

Echelon is our first project. We devoted three years of our lives to it, and tried very hard to make a good game. And it is natural that after the release, we did not loose interest to Echelon. Our interest even increased. We must admit that however had we tried, we were unable to fix all the bugs in the game (though they all were found after the master was sent to Bethesda) and to complete everything we had designed, because of the lack of time at the final stage of the development. Still we believed that we had created a REALLY GOOD game, a game, which many people would like and enjoy playing.

By now we have fixed a number of bugs in the game and made a few major additions to fulfill all wishes, which people who bought the game made. However, after days of permanent argument and thinking we decided not to release the patch for the American version of the game. Why? Because: We worked for three years and really expected our work to bring us some profit. We did not expect to gain millions. We sinply hoped that when we would finish the game, we would be able to at least make some presents to our friends and relatives, who helped us greatly all the time we developed the game, hoped to be able to take trips to some places with our girlfriends, goddamn, we simply hoped to be able to afford a good dentist! We also hoped that we would gain some start-up capital, which will enable us to begin a new project without getting into new debts.

None of which has happened. Why? Because: For half a year now Bethesda has been delaying the 150000USD, which they ARE TO pay according to the contract, and moreover, it even refuse to give us the reason why. We have not been paid even for the beta. According to the contract, Bethesda should send us quarterly sales reports. Bethesda started to sale the game in May. By now Bethesda has sent us only the 2nd quarter 2001 report, which gave really ridiculous figures.The 2nd quarter 2001 report we have not received. The huge ad campaign, which Bethesda promised to carry out, it has not carried out (there were a few articles in some magazines....and that was it), and everybody understand how important advertising is for a game to be a success. But still, from some source we know that by now Bethesda has sold about 50000 boxes of Echelon in North America, which means that Bethesda has already made over a million on the game. We were simply shocked by such a way of doing business, and thought it would be humiliating to continue fulfilling the requirements of such a dishonest and treacherous "partner", and to continue supporting "the partner" with new patches and add-ons. But still we believe that the Bethesda case is not typical of the American market, and soon we will be able to find a new American publisher for long and effective cooperation.

In hopes of resolving the conflict amicably, long we kept silence, and quite a number of American players of Echelon got angry with us for that. And we must admit, peoples' anger was JUST. Because the gamers could not understand, why THEY have to suffer from this conflict. Buka also had to keep silence, and still keeps it, because it IS to keep silence according to the terms of its agreement with Bethesda. And we must point to the fact that it HAS NEVER breached this agreement , though Buka's reputation is greatly suffering from it. But it is useless and just impossible for us to keep silence any longer. The things that happen to Echelon - the game was left unfinished, it is impossible to release patches, angry messages on Bethesda's forum - every single thing of it is causing us - the creators of the game - great pain. And that is why we wrote, what you have just read.

Still we believe that our game is not thus bad, we believe that many people liked it, and we believe that this is not the end of its life.

Pete Hines replied:

We at Bethesda Softworks regret the issuance by Madia Ltd. of an "Open Letter" yesterday, which presented misleading allegations about Bethesda's role as publisher of Echelon in North America.

Bethesda has no contractual obligations to Madia. Madia developed Echelon for Buka, which in turn contracted with Bethesda to publish Echelon in North America. Bethesda has been in discussions with Buka concerning a series of contractual issues, including the late delivery of the game by Madia. We do not intend to address such matters in the press.

Be assured that the Open Letter by Madia presents an unbalanced and false statement of facts concerning the game and Bethesda's actions as the game's publisher. And nothing in the discussions between Bethesda and Buka has prevented Madia from releasing an Echelon patch for fans of the game.

Latelistener

Arcane
Thanks. Turns out, I actually already read that somewhere.
Zenithesda is indeed a horrible partner to work with, but then again, almost all of the publisher are. EA, Ubisoft, they are all simply different sorts of shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/jfk-survived-in-preys-alternate-reality-so-now-you-have-to-fight-aliens/

JFK survived in Prey's alternate reality, so now you have to fight aliens

Building a believable, lived-in fictional world is one of the most difficult things in game development, but Arkane proved with Dishonored that they were up to the job. We adored Dishonored’s industrial city of Dunwall, and Arkane is approaching Prey’s science fiction world with the same care.

“We went all the way back to the 1950s and started thinking about the space race, with the Soviet Union and Americans—that whole era of trying to one-up each other,” lead designer Ricardo Bare told PC Gamer. “And then we started tweaking things. What if Kennedy didn’t die? What if he lived and he came back and doubled down on the space tech?... What if there was a space station orbiting the moon as early as the sixties and they just kept building and building onto it?“

These questions lead the team to a world backed up by a deep fictional background. “The result is Talos-1,” Bare continued, “and as the player moves through the station, you’ll see some of that. You’ll see parts that look like they have that decor from the sixties and seventies, but then you’ll go deeper and be like ‘Wow, this part looks Russian!’ and there’ll be this fifties and sixties Russian stuff.”

Planning a game set in 2035 by building an alternate 1950 is a good example of the kind of thoughtfulness Arkane brings to their particular brand of immersive simulated environments. Though it’s still early days, there’s no shortage of unpredictable features.

One of the primary abilities of the aliens is to mimic nearby objects, meaning that every trashcan, discarded office chair, and box of ammo could be a disguised alien. “That it is not scripted behaviour,” Bare says. “[Aliens] walk into a room and they go ‘OK, there’s twenty physics objects in this room that’s on my list of things I can turn into...oh god the player’s coming! Hide!’ and they just pick one.”

Players will be able to explore the entire space station at any time, though some parts are more dangerous than others. To navigate past a barricade, players could turn into a coffee cup and roll through a small gap. They could use a gun that dispenses hardening glue to build a stairway over the obstacle. Or, they could hack a terminal to open a side door.

The logical conclusion of this philosophy is the fabrication machine, which recycles objects and uses the raw material to print any other object. “Well I guess it falls into the “play your way” category,” creative director Raphael Colantario says of the fabricator. “It’s more customisation for your playstyle. Say you can find a medkit, you can find grenades or whatever—but what you’d really like is to shoot with a shotgun. You can recycle those [medkits and grenades] and keep refabricating shotgun shells.”

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Quite detailed interview/preview: http://www.gamesradar.com/prey-breaking-and-remaking-the-rules-as-bioshock-meets-dishonored/

If all of this sounds potentially ‘exploitable’, then you’re right. And Arkane is not unaware of the issue. But, being Arkane, it doesn’t seem to care as long as the gameplay is good. As Director Raphael Colantonio explains,

“It's a weird balance, allowing the things that are not initially pre-planned until it becomes a game-breaker. If something is too much of an exploit then we need to fix it. But usually - if there's something that is cool, but it's not quite polished, like some sort of weird interaction that works magically, but is a little bit of a problem - then we'll support it, because now we want it to be part of the game. But ultimately we really like this. We like it when players break the game in a good way and find some weird shortcut to a situation, and feel really proud that they could beat the game in such a way.”

But isn’t that a nightmare from a designer’s point of view? After all, Prey is no linear, point-to-point game. It has far more in common with Metroid. While its story and missions will lead you along the ‘correct’ path, the whole station is being built as “one giant space-dungeon”, according to Bare. “You can go anywhere you want as long as you have the means to get there. And just like in those old-school RPGs, we let you go to parts of the station where you might not have any business being there, because the monsters there will just smash you down. But it's still cool knowing that I can do that, that I can try if I want to.”

And with secrets, other survivors, and the overwhelmingly human instincts for exploration and rebellion driving you, you will want to. But how does a studio reconcile that sort of structure with the knowledge that – just as happened in Dishonored – its players could quickly concoct combinations of powers that no-one making the game ever considered? According to Colantonio, it’s all about breaking down obstacles into core challenge types, and trying to stay on top of – and open to - the appropriate tools the player might have.

“We look at it like challenges that are not quite directly linked to a power. So for example there could be the challenge of elevation. 'How do I get on the other side of this thing?'. Then we have a set of systems that can deal with that. And so it doesn't really matter which one you use. You could use the Gloo Gun there, you could have a lift power to create some sort of field of upward force which you could use to propel yourself.

“We could say also there's the type of challenge where you have to get on the other side of a wall and there's some opening somewhere. And you could turn yourself into a smaller object if there's one around you, or just drop one from your inventory and turn into this object if you have the power. Or maybe you could turn into smoke and go through that way.”

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

So all these interviews and none cited System Shock. I guess Bethesda PR team is doing well. No free PR for System Shock Remake and 3!

Latelistener

Arcane
Looks horribly consolized, with very tight environments, and shitty visuals. Poor CryEngine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom