Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"Utter nonsense.":M

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/07/pete-...-raise-to-a-certain-level-of-quality-6113553/

GC: I saw Prey yesterday, and it looked fantastic. But since I’ve never been able to raise this subject with anyone at Bethesda before I feel I have to ask about Prey 2, specifically the IGN report about your relationship with developer Human Head.

PH: I’m not gonna talk publicly about the back and forth, and the he said/she said. It does absolutely no good to anybody. And I’m certainly not about to say anything to try and cast anybody in a bad light, one way or another. Here’s the fact: the game didn’t turn out like we wanted. It didn’t work, and it didn’t happen.

I find it really interesting that I get abundantly more questions about Prey 2 being cancelled than Doom 4 being cancelled. Everybody seems to forget that we did actually cancel a Doom game at id for pretty much the exact same reasons, and started over. And all anybody talks about, and rightfully so, is the game that we did make and how it turned out. Not, well whatever happened with that other Doom, and why did you decide…

GC: But I’m not sure the situations are that similar. The rumour wasn’t that the game was turning out poorly, the rumour was that you were purposefully failing their milestones…

PH: Utter nonsense. I will simply say this: I don’t know what possible good reason we would have for spending millions and millions of dollars to create something to then suddenly arbitrarily decide, ‘No, we don’t want to actually make our money back off what we’ve put into it’. Because we were footing the bill, right? We’re the publisher, we’re paying the developer. We’re putting all the money into it.

I’m spending my own time taking trips up to Madison, creating brand, creating trailers, putting effort into it, taking it to E3, doing all that stuff. And to take all of that time and investment, and for the notion to be, ‘Oh yeah, for arbitrary reasons we decided to fail the milestones and are just going to wave goodbye to all that and never see any of it returned is the dumbest argument I’ve ever heard.

GC: Okay, but according to the rumour the reason wasn’t arbitrary. It was that you were trying to force them into a situation where you could acquire them against their will and for less than they were worth. And I’ve personally spoken to a veteran developer who, although he knows nothing about Bethesda specifically, states that this has always been a standard industry tactic for many different publishers.

PH: We don’t have any real predilection towards acquiring somebody or not. We haven’t acquired anybody, that I can remember, in the last five or how many years. I think Tango [Gameworks, the studio behind The Evil Within] was the last acquisition. It’s not like we’re on some acquisition tear.

We work with third party folks, like with The Elder Scrolls: Legends, like with Quake Champions. We have a perfectly good third party relationship with them. We’re gonna make the game, we’re not acquiring them, we haven’t failed milestones… again, it boils down to one thing and one thing only: we’re in the business of making games and we’re only going to put out and make games that we think raise to a certain level of quality.

It’s no different to BattleCry, which isn’t anywhere. Isn’t being talked about, and it’s on hiatus because it also wasn’t rising to the level. Just like the Doom game that we cancelled.

GC: Okay, but I felt I had to ask.

PH: I understand, I understand why.

GC: You don’t want to feel beholden to publishers, so that there’s certain things you can’t bring up.

PH: Sure. Sure.

GC: But thank you for answering those questions properly. And on a less contentious note… why are you reusing the Prey name anyway? Is it because you want people to remember the first game or just because it’s a cool-sounding name?

PH: No, it’s been a decade, right? It’s more about… we looked at calling it Prey, we looked at a calling it any number of other things. We came up with a number of them and where we netted out was that we did like the name, and that they [developer Arkane Studios] felt that it was a good fit for the thing that they were making.

And their one concern was that, ‘We don’t want to be beholden, in the design choices that we’re making, to anything from the original game. And so if we can sort of run with the idea of aliens are hunting you, and do our own reimagining take on that, then we should call it Prey, because that fits the vibe and tone of the thing we’re making.’ And we said, ‘Good, let’s just call it Prey’.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Prey – Talos I & the Neo-Deco Future

In Prey, you find yourself aboard a space station, hunted by aliens, desperate to not only survive but also unravel the enigma of your own identity. But it’s not just extraterrestrial threats that you’ll encounter. The space station Talos I is as much of a character as Morgan Yu in this gripping first-person action game from Arkane Studios. Morgan Yu awakens in 2032, but it’s an alternate future as imagined by Arkane – a timeline that (among other things) includes President Kennedy surviving his assassination attempt. In Prey’s version of the future, the U.S. has built an even stronger space program, with Talos I emerging as a space station unlike anything you’ve seen in movies or games. Learn more about Prey’s “neo-deco” vision of the future – and Talos I itself – in our interview with Creative Director (and Arkane’s President) Raphael Colantonio.

Explore the dark secrets of Talos I when Prey releases in 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I can't believe I am actually considering getting a new Bethesda game.... :negative:

I will only be getting it at a sale though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't believe I am actually considering getting a new Bethesda game.... :negative:

I will only be getting it at a sale though.
I know what you mean. But damn, the pull of the MCA is there. And it is getting stronger!

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
So about 90% of video games?

Well the future part will always be speculation but this is a timeline in which president Kennedy never died and as a result the space program got more support than in our history, leading to a more active effort to put mankind permanently in space. That is pretty much the 'world that never was' aspect.

Protagonist with weird powers, yeah that is more game tropey but I make the comparison to Bioshock because these powers are also because of the different history resulting in different kinds of research and development.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah she sounds a little bit too raspy. Wonder who the voice actress is though, she sounds so familiar.... Rachel Weisz?

It's not the raspy, it is the delivery of her lines. See Mass Effect 2 (of which the lines were VERY well delivered. In fact they are even better than the default Male Shepherd VO work). It is possible she was just not given very good direction, as happens in most VO work.

Perkel

Arcane
Eh i hope at least story will be good. I'd love proper SS like game.

BUT WHAT IF YOU LOOK INTO A MIRROR?!?!

You would see some poor unidentified reflection because mirrors are hard in modern games without using shitty screen space effects that work really bad for mirrors.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Prey – The History of TranStar

CvDkJ7kXEAAs-bQ.jpg

In the alternate future of Prey, President Kennedy survives the assassination, which sets off a turn of events leading to the central conflict in Arkane Studios’ newly announced game. After recovering from the attempt on his life, Kennedy threw his nation further into the space race by taking control of a U.S./Russian joint program and transforming a Russian satellite into a fully functional R&D facility meant to study non-terrestrials. This facility later became Talos I, a highly advanced space station owned by the TranStar Corporation. In just the scant few years since TranStar took over, the station has been used as the testing ground for some morally dubious experiments, with people on board serving as subjects – people like Morgan Yu. Discover more about the dark history of Talos I in the newly released alternate history video.

“The world of Prey is not exactly the world as we know it,” says Creative Director Raphael Colantonio. “We imagined how things would have gone if we had added one very significant event to our timeline: the discovery of non-terrestrial life forms in the 50s.”

“This discovery has all kinds of rippling consequences in our version of history, including Kennedy surviving his assassination attempt, which in turn led to more involvement from the U.S. government in space research, and so on,” adds Lead Designer Ricardo Bare. “These ripples are even reflected in the 60s ‘neo-deco’ aesthetic of Talos I.”

After awakening on Talos I, Morgan finds the station overrun by a previously contained non-terrestrial entity called Typhon, which the scientists had been studying and using to improve the scope of human abilities. Aided by strange alien-based powers, Morgan must survive the incursion, uncover the mysteries surrounding the Typhon and save humanity from the impending danger aboard the station.

Prey will launch in 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Also you can be a Transtar: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/prey-i-am-transtar-npc-contest/2016/10/18/235

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom