Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Waiting for apocalyptic sale,it will be amazing when i am locked in a bunker waiting for the fallout to dissipate and this is the only game i have with me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://gamechurch.com/exploring-the-games-moral-choice-with-ricardo-bare-the-gamechurch-podcast-89/

GAMECHURCH PODCAST 89: EXPLORING THE MORAL CHOICES WITHIN GAMES WITH RICARDO BARE

Drew and M Joshua are back this week while exploring the moral choices within games with special guest Ricardo Bare from Arkane Studios. Ricardo’s credits include Deus Ex and later, Lead Technical Designer on Dishonored, and the Creative Director on the Knives of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches expansions. His latest credit is Lead Designer on the sci-fi hit Prey.

Raised in Spain until 13 on a US military base, Ricardo became immersed in the pop culture of the US late in life and found his first taste of Christianity in the works of C.S. Lewis (not the Chronicles of Narnia). The conversation turns to the myriad of games that involve moral choices and how some people treat these scenarios as simple mechanics, min-maxing paths, or reflections on their inner moral compass.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/capcpod/89_The_GameChurch_Podcast_89_-_Ricardo_Bare.mp3

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just finished it. Great game but there's a fair bit of annoying backtracking towards the last 1/5 of the game (after Power Plant) if you want to get the best ending (although it can be dramatically shortened by avoiding combat).

Overall I like it a lot, and I'd say it combines the best parts of Deus Ex and System Shock 2 with the aesthetics of Bioshock. Some issues exist, like the aforementioned backtracking, being incredibly OP and some neuromods being more useful than others -- you're pretty godlike even on Nightmare after you max out GLOO, Pistol, Shotgun and Disruptor, and all the health and damage neuromods -- but overall the game does very well in what it sets out to do. As far as whether or not this surpasses or lives up to SS2, I think it does some things better (emergent gameplay, not as many useless mods as SS2's upgrades) but falls short in others (e.g. pacing and threat levels).

the ending recognises that as well

and
the nightmare is a fucking joke. Should have gone for a typhon in the style of SS2's cyborg assassin instead of a walking tower that can be easily cheesed

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Crazy Powers, Wacky Weapons & Ham – Prey Developer Favorites

OK, let’s say you have access to futuristic technology – some real heavy sci-fi stuff, like a machine with the ability to produce almost anything you want. What would you create first? A powerful weapon so you can take over the world? A much-needed resource to help your fellow man? Or… ham?

Yes, ham. But not just your ordinary, everyday ham. We’re talking about top-of-the-line cured meat that comes from a special pig that gambols freely through Spain and Portugal while munching on acorns. Y’know… really, really good ham. So good that Creative Director Raphael Colantonio would use the Fabricator from his game Prey to... well, make ham.

Colantonio isn’t the only one on the team at Arkane Studios with a quirky response to this very important question. From weapons to abilities to areas within Prey’s alien-infested neo-deco space station, the developers share their favorites – and along the way, reveal some secrets about their game… and themselves. Watch our video to find out even more about Prey – and the people who made this critically acclaimed game.

Now available as a free trial on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, Prey is a mind-bending sci-fi adventure that some critics are already calling the “best game of 2017.”

DemonKing

Arcane
Down to $25 on GMG. Am I the only one who doesn't have this game already?

I was going to buy the Tyranny expansion but after reading the reviews for that and playing the demo for this, have finally pulled the trigger myself given the price is now down to <$25 on cdkeys.com.

Raapys

Arcane
Had no idea this game existed until a week ago. Just finished a playthrough, was very pleasantly surprised. Some cool weapons, several interesting skills, decent challenge level until you start maxing out powers. And seeing a game world that's this open, with no artificial borders, in a non-GTA style game, is extremely rare these days. Running and jumping around everywhere with maxed mobility skill feels pretty great. They should drop the Dishonored franchise and just focus on this shit instead, much better use of their time.

Only big negative I've found is the shitty amount of post processing effects, which I've had to adjust in config files.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Why do some of you keep looking at the prices? Just pirate damn the shit and if you like it,buy it if not straight to the garbage.

Same moronic question every time ''Should I buy it,is it any good?''

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Had no idea this game existed until a week ago. Just finished a playthrough, was very pleasantly surprised. Some cool weapons, several interesting skills, decent challenge level until you start maxing out powers. And seeing a game world that's this open, with no artificial borders, in a non-GTA style game, is extremely rare these days. Running and jumping around everywhere with maxed mobility skill feels pretty great. They should drop the Dishonored franchise and just focus on this shit instead, much better use of their time.

Only big negative I've found is the shitty amount of post processing effects, which I've had to adjust in config files.

While I agree with you, I don't see a future for this franchise.

Hines

Savant
For the conclusion of his 0451 series, Errant Signal has posted a 20 minute Prey analysis, which focuses on the game's thematic concerns rather than the mechanics.

Check out Bethesda's latest attempt at promoting the game:

RoSoDude

Arcane
For the conclusion of his 0451 series, Errant Signal has posted a 20 minute Prey analysis, which focuses on the game's thematic concerns rather than the mechanics.

Precisely the reason I've stopped bothering to watch any of this guy's videos. His entire video on Deus Ex spent 75% of the time critiquing its themes and story, with a brief mention to its open-ended level design at the end. The promise of the Immersive Sim is not just its ability to tell stories, but also its interactivity and player-driven gameplay. In fact, it's the latter which allows the former to have any kind of weight at all.

Hilariously, he also has a video criticizing the concept of ludonarrative dissonance where his entire argument is that gameplay and story shouldn't be thought of as distinct entities. Yet he seems to content to view these games predominantly in terms of their thematic content.

ciox

Liturgist
Please stop using 0451 unless you mean to explicitly reference Bioshock's use of it like all the plebs writing those thinkpieces, the magical awesome reference code is and always was 451.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Check out Bethesda's latest attempt at promoting the game:

Clint-Eastwood-disgust.gif

Latelistener

Arcane
Then shut up about people not paying the full day one retail price
I cannot shut up, simply because I never said anything about it.
In case you didn't know, Prey was on sale on Steam a couple of times already, and no one gives a shit anyway.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shrug, of course I know about sales. I was just curious whether or not you're a hypocrite. Seems you are, and your persistent evasiveness isn't helping. Still, what do you care what people think? You be you, matey! Updated my .txt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom