Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just got a "false"ending, something I haven't seen in any game in a long-ass time. :positive:

This isn't the one, (whatever the fuck that means) when I tried to GTFO in the escape pod, reached with the faithful glue gun.

Ash

Arcane
I finally got tired of running back and forth and respawning enemies in hardware labs and turned on cheats. Also lesbian subplot annoyed me, and I'm fairly liberal on gay shit.

The fuck you need cheats for? You become a god half way through the game.

Rev

Arcane
Just started the game and played for a little more than a hour. Up until now it seems very promising.

Israfael

Arcane
There was a lesbian plot?I always thought that me and my wrench are males.
It was actually pretty-low key and more realistic than it's usually portrayed by faux-progressive and SJW authors - if you don't listen or read everything very carefully, you might miss it. Actually it was a typical tranny/same-sex affair, in my opinion - they tangled for a bit then one of them quickly got butthurt and they broke up (which ended up quite tragically as the lover (Abigail, i think?) ended up in the false cook's freezer).

There's no preaching in the game so I would not say it's laced with any sort of the usual SJW content. The fact that some people see it, mostly demonstrates, methinks, that SJWs simply hijacked too many topics and many people tend to confuse them with the stuff that existed before the advent of this cult.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There was a lesbian plot?I always thought that me and my wrench are males.
It was actually pretty-low key and more realistic than it's usually portrayed by faux-progressive and SJW authors - if you don't listen or read everything very carefully, you might miss it. Actually it was a typical tranny/same-sex affair, in my opinion - they tangled for a bit then one of them quickly got butthurt and they broke up (which ended up quite tragically as the lover (Abigail, i think?) ended up in a false cook's freezer).

There's no preaching the game so I would not say it's laced with any sort of the usual SJW content. The fact that some people see it, mostly demonstrates, methinks, that SJWs simply hijacked too many topics and many people tend to confuse them with the stuff that existed before the advent of this cult.
Oh you mean the space lady and the freezer corpse.To be honest it is natural to have a few fags on huge station.i am ok with some natural gay shit in a game as long as it is well made and not some preachy sob story about oppression and faggot rights.In Prey was ok because you had to trough their personal mails and shit.The space lady didn't begin the conversation with "I am a fag and i love liking salty pussies!"

rezaf

Cipher
In this particular case, that plot didn't bother me, but I think it's quite questionable that you seem to encounter such plots everywhere these days.
In two decades of working, I've only had two colleagues at work who where openly non-hetero. Out of maybe a hundred people whom I worked close enough with to possibly know of this.
The SJW games make it almost seem like heteros are in the minority.

Same with equality, there's far too much going on in scifi and fantasy these days where men and woman have equal rights. History suggests, there ought to be times and situations where this is not the case.

A funny thing happened on a local computer science meetup recently - they went great lengths not to discriminate against anyone, they anonymized all the people that wanted to give a speech and decided strictly based on the perceived quality of the draft. In the end, all speakers ended up being straight white males, and butthurt ensued.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
It's not about them being gay, it's about the cringe on the level of teenage fanfic. Oh she's soooo nerdy cuz she likes DnD and comes up with scavenger hunt (=ΦエΦ=) And she and her partner record their conversations and send each other voice mails, isn't that cute? (・∀・) And did we mention they live across the hallway? =^● ⋏ ●^= Sooooo perfect for a love story, right? (^-人-^) Oh and we forgot to mention they're AZN WOC ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) WE ARE SOOOO KEWL.

Meanwhile, Arcade Gannon continues being the best gay character in video game. Maybe that's because he was a real character and not a gay "representation" token?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
It would have been more interesting, tasteful and believable for me if it were simply subtly mentioned in one or two audio logs.The fact that it's a whole subplot given notable focus and there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it just makes it seem like SJW pandering. The execution wasn't terrible (but certainly not good either), it's just a really, really boring sub-plot.
Even Attok the Quartermaster trying to assassinate the Goblin King in Arx Fatalis is :obviously: compared to this. Ah I love the characters in Arx, even if the writing isn't top tier. Such charm in that game.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Thread should be renamed to "Arkane's Immersive Junk Recycling Simulator"

DeepOcean

Arcane
It would have been more interesting, tasteful and believable for me if it were simply subtly mentioned in one or two audio logs.The fact that it's a whole subplot given notable focus and there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it just makes it seem like SJW pandering. The execution wasn't terrible (but certainly not good either), it's just a really, really boring sub-plot.
Even Attok the Quartermaster trying to assassinate the Goblin King in Arx Fatalis is :obviously: compared to this. Ah I love the characters in Arx, even if the writing isn't top tier. Such charm in that game.
I still remember of causing some nasty diarrhea on the king to this day, it was hilarious. I wanted a fully polished Arx with shinny graphix but that won't happen. Those Prey characters? I was having a hard time remembering their names as I played, let alone later.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Finished it. Complete and utter disappointment.

jpvzvz.jpg

Ash

Arcane
I'm not a charity case. Next project is likely to be commercial. Either that or rage quit due to all the decline and decline-enabling.

Gerrard

Arcane
Hardcore mods:
http://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/2/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/1/?

• No Crouch Icon
  • No Flashlight Icon
  • No Enemy Alert / Spotting Yu Gauges
  • No Enemy Markers Over Their Heads (or bodies or whatever... Typhon are weird :P)
  • No Enemy Music Cues When Enemies Are Close
  • No Item Glinting / Glimmering
  • No Stamina or Jet Pack Bars

Various new items have been added - a mixture of cut content and new items. Most of these are "junk" to clutter up your inventory.
So they were cut for good reason and retard modders restoring MUH CUT CONTENT DUMBING DOWN strike again.
:hero:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-preys-gloo-cannon/

The making of Prey's Gloo Cannon
How the gun that sidesteps sticky situations came to be.

With its sprawling abandoned space station setting, hordes of shape-shifting mimics and bouts of weightless space exploration, there are many things about Arkane's Prey that're worth emailing home about. Much similar to BioShock's Rapture or Dishonored's Dunwall, it could be argued that the dystopian Talos 1 is as much a central character as lead protagonist Mogan Yu—and there's one less than orthodox method of exploration that's arguably the most fun: building makeshift climbing walls with the game's iconic amorphous semi-solid fluid-firing Gloo Cannon.

"We kind of had this idea that we'd be able to build bridges and staircases and all kinds of platforming things with it," the game's lead system designer Seth Shain tells me. "The whole thing did originally start with this idea that it would be a device the scientists would use to incapacitate the aliens. It went through so many iterations. The very first name was actually the Goo Gun without the 'L', and I was adamant we call it that. I knew we didn't know what fiction was—I knew that I didn't know how we were going to theme it, we just knew it was this thing that shot out some kind of fluid that would harden over time. I was like: the only way we can describe this for now is 'goo'.

"Over the course of development, we had all these different types of versions. At one point we decided it was going to be an amber gun, it was going to shoot amber-like fluid and then harden into solid, transparent amber. And then we went away from that and then eventually ended up saying: let's just put an 'L' in there and then it's the Gloo Cannon."

From the outset Prey wanted to do things differently, says Shain, and the Gloo Cannon, even in its earliest of forms, was central to that vision. As far back as the game's pre-production stage, Shain and his colleagues decided to craft a weapon that doubled up as a tool of sorts that would both help players problem solve and traverse the Talos 1 space station.

Shain suggests this decision threw up an interesting distinction between Prey and the Dishonored series—whereby Corvo and latterly Emily are hamstrung by the restrictive world in which they exist. Sure, players learn the ability to teleport around both Dunwall and Karnaca, but a combination of gravity and high reaching walls often prevent the player from accessing the far reaches of each game world in turn.

"In the world of Prey, because you're on the space station Talos 1 and outside of that is space, everything has a ceiling," Shane explains. "With that, we knew that the bounds of the player were already set by the ceiling—we didn't need to worry about it, we could just let the player move through that space as fluidly as they could."

A cursory YouTube search throws up hundreds of Gloo Cannon-inspired mountaineering, whereby adventurous players scale the space station's highest bounds. Whereas this is great fun from the player's perspective, the idea that almost nowhere is off-limits by virtue of the Gloo gun inadvertently placed the game's artists under pressure during development. If players can reach just about every nook and cranny of any given level, then it's no surprise artists are determined to make those far-flung areas look pretty.

Shain tells me an awfully cool-sounding alien power was even cut from the game off the back of this burden.

"The artists hate it because they want every square inch of the station to be beautiful, and if the player can get somewhere high up, then they feel they need to make it look good," says Shain. "We also talked about the quality of spaces—not every space needs to be an A-quality space. Some spaces can be B or C quality, and there are areas that are super hard to get to, that we don't expect people to get to, but maybe they can. We're also not inviting them there, we're not putting something there that they want, but people are going there just to see if they can.

"There was another power that we cut because we just couldn't make it work or make it fun, it didn't hit our quality bar. It was a power that would directly allow you to fly around the space. That one just amplified that problem. They were really happy when they cut that, you're mostly constrained to the walls with the Gloo gun. We were deeply committed to that level of mobility in the spaces and letting the player explore as much as their heart desired."

Unlike the game's conventional weapons, the Gloo Cannon doesn't have a real-world template to work from. This is a weapon born from Arkane's imagination and what started out as a methodical, one gloo-ball-firing firearm quickly grew into a steady-shooting stream, flame thrower-like cannon. Shain explains the latter was too imprecise which meant it was too difficult for players to perceive range. This is also why the end product's rapid fire projectiles were settled upon.

These technical challenges made Arkane realise why such a weapon hadn't been created before—a fact that was galvanized by the Gloo Cannon's propensity for alpinism. Shain notes Shadow Complex's Foam Gun as one similar to the Gloo Cannon however also highlights the platformer's 2D makeup as something which allows for less logistical issues.

"They were able to do something that we couldn't," admits Shain. "They were able to build their [foam] on top of [foam], so it's possible to build a platform from a wall. That's something that we couldn't do because it created this technical problem—this chain of constraints that added to the computation time to the whole chain. There was no way we could do this and have it perform on console, and so one of the constraints early that we learned for the Gloo gun is that: we can attach gloo to most things, but we can't attach gloo to gloo.

"When we start doing that we get into a lot of trouble with hitting the bounds of what we can do technically. That's when we came up with the idea that there was certain surfaces that gloo bounces off of. This way we have this sort of design language for the player to understand that gloo doesn't necessarily attach to everything."

Since launch, this has hardly stopped players creating shortcuts or from scaling the heights of the Talos 1 lobby, but, given this weapon was designed initially as a tool for subduing enemy mimics, would crafting the likes of an ice-firing cannon have served the same purpose?

"The ice thing is kind of funny," says Shain. "I feel a little embarrassed to say this because it sounds naive but we were deep into this feature and we had implemented it where we were actually locking enemies down and what not. It then occurred to me one day where I was like: oh, this is like a freeze gun. But because our departure point when we started, in terms of what our direction was and what our goals were, was so far from ice gun or freeze gun that it wasn't on the forefront of our minds."

BioShock's plasmids work in a similar way, and a quick fire combination of Ice followed swiftly by a forceful spanner melee attack was a guaranteed way to fell unsuspecting Splicers.

"I mean, we weren't thinking about that, we were thinking about this tool that would immobilise enemies but that would also have orthogonal abilities that'd be useful for platforming," explains Shain. "Then all of a sudden we sort of convergently evolved into this notion that, oh yeah, it freezes enemies just like a freeze gun would. I think it's an important distinction: because we didn't start with the assumption this was going to be a different flavour of freeze ray, we started with the assumption that it was some kind of orthogonal tool that also has a combat implication that we were able to iterate to the point and discover all the applications and uses whereby you can attach its ammo to the walls or platforms."

Much like plasmids, then, or Dishonored's supernatural abilities, how players leverage the Gloo Cannon in concert with their learned alien powers opens the game up to much experimentation. My own mixture of choice involves pairing Lift Field with the Gloo Cannon, however Shain's is a little more enterprising still.

"One of my favourite things to do is use Lift, and lift up a big leverage object near a wall before gloo-ing that leverage object to the wall while it's lifting. When the lift toward dissipates, now you have a platform on the wall that attached with the gloo.

"There was this one moment I had during testing that was so fluid and natural that was the outcome of playing and responding to the systems. I was being chased by a phantom, I'd lifted a huge piece of machinery, I glooed it to the wall. The phantom then shows up to attack me and is standing under it—I pulled my pistol out, shot the gloo that was affixing it to the wall and the thing dropped and fell on the phantom and killed it. It was one of those sublime moments. Even as the systems designer on the game I wasn't even thinking that this was going to work."

With Prey now almost two months post-release, Arkane is currently hard at work on its proposed DLC. Shain remains tight-lipped about what exactly that entails, however is certain the archetypal Gloo Cannon has cemented its place in the game's future.

"I don't have any definite news to share with any of that but I do think it's safe to say the Gloo Cannon is a really important feature in Prey and I think it'll always be an important feature in Prey," says Shain. "We like to talk about the key features of the game that really separate it apart. We know that Mimic is one of them and that Gloo Cannon is one of them."

Zakhad

Savant
It's not about them being gay, it's about the cringe on the level of teenage fanfic. Oh she's soooo nerdy cuz she likes DnD and comes up with scavenger hunt (=ΦエΦ=) And she and her partner record their conversations and send each other voice mails, isn't that cute? (・∀・) And did we mention they live across the hallway? =^● ⋏ ●^= Sooooo perfect for a love story, right? (^-人-^) Oh and we forgot to mention they're AZN WOC ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) WE ARE SOOOO KEWL.

Meanwhile, Arcade Gannon continues being the best gay character in video game. Maybe that's because he was a real character and not a gay "representation" token?

So what you're saying is... you prefer Josh Sawyer's writing to MCA's? That's got to be a first for the Codex.

deama

Prophet
Hehe, they made a reference to Arx Fatalis...

I'm still waiting for that damn sequel!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
is there a patch launched to redeem the bug where after visiting the Arboretum the other levels reset to loot and monster state from the beginning of the game?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
is there a patch launched to redeem the bug where after visiting the Arboretum the other levels reset to loot and monster state from the beginning of the game?
Huh what? I'd love that bug. In my game the monsters went into turbo mode after visiting the arboretum the first time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

:lol:

That's pretty funny considering Arx Fatalis had something near-identical.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Bitch please. Arx Fatalis didn't even have an Arboretum. And the gooey blob aliens lived in caves in that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom