Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

I had more fun playing the first Prey than this one. :popamole:

Paul_cz

Arcane
That is another thing I don't understand. Human Head's Prey 2 would've been much closer to the current AAA trends than Arkane's Prey is. So, people would rather have a cinematic combo of Stranger's Wrath and Mirrors Edge than a spiritual successor to System Shock, one that is gameplay-wise much more worthy than Bioshock was.
It's just psychology, looks like. People always want that which they don't have.

Except nobody has said that. And it was not either or, neither. If Zenimax weren't cunts, we could have had Prey 2 by Human Head, which while not immersive sim, looked like a cool and pretty unique game for its time, AND new IP by Arkane, which is what Prey now is, only they slapped that old name on it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
i have yet to see one person saying he'd rather have a sequel to the original prey than this one

plz share some of your hallucinogenics bubbles
Hmm, official sequel to a mediocre/good shooter, or spiritual successor to SS2...

Yeah, that's gonna be a hard call on a forum that contains RPG in the name :M

Original prey was pretty cool though, had some decent shooting and neat gimmicks (portals and gravity plates)

KevinV12000

Arcane
I have no idea how this game is going over here at the Codex, but here are my two cents:

It’s Monday morning and time for you to report to TranStar Corporation headquarters for your first day on the job. You’re joining your brother, Alex, at work there, and you’re excited about the prospect of doing work on the company’s centerpiece: the Talos I space station, in lunar orbit and home to the leading tech company’s most innovative and brilliant minds. You shut the alarm off and get out of bed, the bright sunshine streaming into your modern apartment, circa 2032.

That’s how Arkane Studios’ brilliant new game Prey begins, and nothing from that point on is quite what is seems or what one expects. Prey marks a high point in Arkane’s already solid and respectable history, and hits a new high hitherto thought unattainable: a cross-platform game made primarily for consoles that speaks to and meets PC gamer expectations. If, as a general rule, there is a world of difference between video games and computer games, Arkane’s Prey has managed to bridge the chasm and deliver to both audiences. It is a remarkable achievement and a stunning game.

I suppose we should not be surprised, given Arkane’s history. Its founder was involved with EA in the early days when it was more closely associated with The Bard’s Tale than with NFL football, and in 2002 the French studio, based in Lyon, blessed the CRPG world with the innovative underground dungeon world of Arx Fatalis. Those of us too damn old to still be playing goddamn games will remember how well received that game was. In fact, to this day I can’t think of another game that made casting spells in combat so much fun or made the player feel more like an actual mage.

Since that time, the studio—which opened a branch in Austin as its French founder moved in an attempt to improve the studio’s viability—went from one game to another in development, suffering the usual small studio challenges of cancelled projects and publishers not willing to take a chance. However, in 2010, in a development that proves decisively that retards, like broken clocks, can occasionally be right, the ZeniMax group (i.e. Bethesda) purchased Arkane. With a big publisher behind it, Arkane was free to properly develop games again, and, boy, did they deliver.

That is to say, they delivered for the modern, console-ized marketplace. Both Dishonored and the Dishonored 2 feature what has become something of a trademark for Arkane: the presentation of the features of a beloved computer game to the new console video game audience, and pulling off that tough updating task with real imagination, innovation, and intelligence. In the case of the Dishonored series, that old beloved game is Thief. Sure, you can play Corvo Attano as a fighting machine, but everything in the game screams stealth as the preferred path. You’ll be thinking about Garrett while Corvo is hiding stock still in deep shadow watching four guards walking a beat and analyzing the pattern and your path to your destination. It also helps, and is clearly no accident, that the brilliant voice actor Stephen Russell breathes life into both stealthy leading men.

But, as innovative and thoughtful as the Dishonored series is, it is badly limited by the uniform requirements imposed by consoles. For every unique quest design or interesting character presented, there are small, cramped zones, limited options with regard to actions and too many cut scenes where the action is literally out of the player’s hands.

Prey not only breaks this mold, it shatters it. From this point forward, computer gamers need no longer make excuses for console-priority games. Arkane has done for gaming what the alchemists promised to do for mere lead and has turned console games into computer gold.

Prey does this by taking Arkane’s formula of innovating beloved computer game genres one step further and incorporating the best features of a number of games, while, at the same time, infusing them with enough innovation and creativity so as to rise above mere copying. When playing Prey, there are times when the gamer will sense a connection a number of its esteemed predecessors, both console and PC. Hitting a hated enemy with a solid steel hand tool brings to mind Half-Life. Slowly peeking around the corner of a laboratory in an empty space station and not quite believing what you’re seeing harks back to System Shock 2. Reading old emails and piecing together the past of a secretive program brings to mind Alpha Protocol. Advancing through a cramped maintenance shaft will have you channeling Deus Ex. Advancing your characters skills across a skill tree that imposes some hard decisions reminds one of Mass Effect. The futuristic weaponry is reminiscent of Halo.

But the sum total of all of these parts is so much more than this grab bag of homage. In Prey, the designers put the player in a place done often but not successfully since that one guy woke up on a gurney and found himself conversing with a floating skull. That is, both the player-as-the-player and the player-as-the-character start from the same position of not knowing where they are, who they are, or what the hell is going on around them.

I have written this so as to minimize spoilers, because I personally abhor them and purposefully do not read threads on games I’m interested in until I’ve played them myself, so I won’t say anything more on this point except to say that the first half hour of Prey is an imaginative, fascinating and immersion-creating as any game I have ever played.

Say good-bye to cramped console game zones, as Talos I is HUGE. Not only is the station a believable setting, its design is something to behold. From dark paneled executive conference rooms to arboretum patios inlayed with a mosaic design of wheat stalks, from massive water treatment decks to the station’s fascinating exterior, you’ll be a bit sad you have to keep your head on a swivel and keep scanning for enemies it’s all so breathtakingly beautiful.

The enemy is not a subject one can speak too much about without spoiling the game, but some general comments won’t hurt. They are a tough bunch and present a number of different challenges that demand flexible tactics and backup planning. I’m sure somewhere someone is fighting his way through the station as Yu the Unconquerable, but for most of us lesser humans it’s more a question of keeping your head down and using what’s inside it to overcome obstacles and opposition. Fortunately, the game gives you a wide array of tools to cover the multiple approaches one needs.

While a limited inventory remains one of the few old console chestnuts Prey doesn’t break, it does mitigate this limitation by having three separate screens for three different pieces of personal equipment, each of which is customizable on the fly before you enter into situations requiring a particular edge. So long as your character uses his head and scouts, you should be able to plan ahead for the biggest challenges.

Otherwise, the game presents a dizzying array of screens, enough to please the nerdiest of nerds. You’ll collect old emails, old recordings, paper notes, paperwork left on desks, maps, downloaded files, scans of enemy creatures, you name it. You’ll use this to piece together the giant holes in your memory and reconstruct what happened; the immensity and horror of the situation will grow on you as this realization ripens.

The central questline will keep you hopping, but there are a large number of sidequests and things to do which can have a real effect on your tactical situation by the end of the game. There is so much to do, and much of it is presented with a twist, refreshing to those of us who have completed somewhere around 17,491 quests in a gaming lifetime.

In short, Prey represents a new achievement in gaming, one in which the hated limitations imposed by consoles, both as a technical matter and as an audience matter, are overcome, presenting us with a game that sparkles with intelligence, wit, design, creativity and challenge.

But, at the end of the day, there are two further reasons to add Prey to your collection and, if you’re anything like me, to actually finish the game.

First, there is the matter of a new type of weapon that is the most fun to play and kick alien ass with since Half Life 2. You’ll use it in a variety of ways, and coming up with new ways to use it effectively is part of the fun.

Second, and really the icing on the very real non-lied-about cake here, is that there is a fantastic side quest that really is an homage to old time paper-and-pen gaming, complete with graph paper maps that need to be analyzed and applied to the space station. The entire quest line is a joy.

I have no idea if my view is widely held or is a minority of one person. But this is my view, and I hope you enjoy this gem as much as I did.

Finally, **and a spoiler ahead**, the following text appears on a poster in an exhibit hall in Talos 1 explaining its history. When one reads it, it is a piece of information about the alternative future the actions take place in. Later, it takes on a whole different significance as you discover more about what is going on. A discovery that comes with a cold chill regarding the Russian habit of giving items simple, descriptive and utilitarian names.

1963 – A top secret Cold War negotiation culminates with Americans and Soviets working together on a research facility named Kletka.

Kletka—Russian for “cage”—produces the skeleton and core emergency systems of what will one day become Talos 1.

Indeed.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sir. you are well qualified to work at IGN, they are after such talent like yours. What are you waiting? Apply for a job, you will work with like minded wonderful people that like to see the positive side of life after some monetary stimulation.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
New patch released!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1291817837616190731/

Prey - Steam Beta Update v1.04 - Patch Notes
A new beta update for Prey v1.04 is now available via Steam – see below for instructions.

The Steam beta update v1.04 includes:
  • Glooing Cook between objectives no longer breaks mission
  • ‘Nightmare is Hunting You’ no longer plays after completing ‘Copy Protection’ without Typhon Neuromods installed
  • Disgruntled Employee mission now properly completes if player finds Grant Lockwood prior to getting mission.
  • Sarah Elazar will now give the code for Cargo Bay B if player has hostility from Phantoms
  • Aaron Ingram will no longer flee and cower when released in Psychotronics
  • Player can no longer lock themselves in the security pharmaceuticals office in Trauma
  • Superfruit no longer appears shrunken and flat when fully grown.
  • Adjusted timing on several cutscenes.
  • Blank objective markers no longer persist above reticle
  • Using key actions while controller prompts are shown will no longer cause a freeze.
  • Tracking bracelets are now sent to Recycler with “Transfer all Junk”
  • Mouse sensitivity no longer affected by extreme FOV settings
  • Several cutscenes adjusted to play properly with modified FOV settings
  • WASD no longer incorrectly functions in menus and TranScribe if directional keys are rebound.
  • Aim Assist will now work as intended if controller is using mouse input instead of stick input.
  • Looting a new weapon without space for its ammo will no longer decrease the amount of ammo
  • Dropping all ammo from an equipped weapon no longer causes invalid ammo UI message
  • Consume Food hotkey now consumes food based on stack size, not inventory order.

Notes - The public-beta-patch branch shares the same game Saves as the default branch. If a previously corrupted Save is fixed by switching to the public-beta-patch branch, switching back to the default branch will reintroduce the chance of corruption.

If a Save file has been previously edited manually, it may not function properly.
Deletion of level.dat files may cause game progression to not function properly.

If you run into issues or have questions please let us know in the Bethesda.net forums.

How to access the Steam Beta:
  1. Log into Steam.
  2. Right Click on Prey in your Library.
  3. Select Properties.
  4. Select Betas.
  5. A drop down menu will appear. Select public-beta-patch.
  6. Select OK.
  7. Wait for the game to update.
  8. When done, Prey[public-beta-patch] should appear in our Library.
  9. If it still appears only as “Prey” in your Library, repeat the above steps.

Thanks for your support!

Hines

Savant
Arkane's latest patch adds some visual enhancements, but introduces some serious issues to the base game. According to Digital Foundry, Prey now includes major stuttering and the "worst ever" frame pacing they've seen this generation.

The Pro upgrade is finally here, adding plenty of new effects - but further tinkering to the PS4 code has compromised one of the best things about the game: its smooth performance.

Unfortunately, a new problem has been introduced across both PlayStation consoles - a problem that first appeared in version 1.02 and compromises what was one of the game's most impressive aspects, its consistency and fluidity in motion. On the plus side, input latency has been fixed - the game is much more responsive now - but the knock-on effect is that, put simply, the game is a stuttering mess in motion. We've often reported on bad frame-pacing in the past, but nothing could prepare us for the severity of the problem in Prey.

This is, without a doubt, the worst instance of irregular frame delivery we've encountered, giving the illusion of a much lower frame-rate. In addition, as the game uses an adaptive v-sync solution, there is now a plethora of torn frames present in each and every scene along the top portion of the image. Taken as a whole, Prey no longer feels smooth to play. Clearly, the fix for input latency is to blame for this problem. Whichever settings have been adjusted, the results are poor.

Ash

Arcane
Who the fuck buys a PC and constantly maintains peak performance solely to play garbage modern games on max settings?
If you're only gaming on your PC and not running physics simulations on it for work or whatever, then upgrade as you would a console: every half a decade. Result is more cost effective, and hey, you have a PC. Mods! Old abandonware! Console emulation! Access to the largest array of games on one platform! You don't have to pay money to M$ or Sony to access online content!

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
My PC is almost 5 years old and it's still more powerful than console (5 years old 2500k@4.8Ghz, R9 290 - 3.5 years old), I don't see how this argument actually works (and consoletards always ignore the fact that you need a TV set to use it while including monitor's price into PC's costs)

Ash

Arcane
Consoles back in the day had value. Today they're a fools game. Basically shitty, highly restrictive, more pricey PCs, and most games on them these days are pure shit.
About the only value they still hold is portability, but Laptops have that area covered too.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Consoles back in the day had value. Today they're a fools game. Basically shitty, highly restrictive, more pricey PCs, and most games on them these days are pure shit.
About the only value they still hold is portability, but Laptops have that area covered too.
i think going for that, a dedicated handheld like vita or 3ds are more of value.

PC and consoles generally have the same library and 90% of the time they run better on PC.

Handhelds like 3ds and vita have massively different library and i have a 3ds. With that and PC i feel like all my gaming needs are covered.

I am even thinking of buying switch solely for its portability, and maybe someday they will release a dockless SKU after 3ds finlly died.

i have been going PC + nintendo handhelds for years now since the GBA and radeon 4550 HD PC And i can play 90% the games i wanted to play

DeepOcean

Arcane
Consoles only make sense for online fighting games and the occasional exclusive that isn't total shit like Bloodborn, the rest, it is just plain better to play on PC.

sullynathan

Arcane
So what's the reason for buying games for console again?
actual good exclusives, cheap price, (ps4 is less than $300 and will play nearly every game released this gen), don't need mods to make the game good, racing games, fighters, platformers, brawlers, the occasional offline co-op and more

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
So what's the reason for buying games for console again?
actual good exclusives, cheap price, (ps4 is less than $300 and will play nearly every game released this gen), don't need mods to make the game good, racing games, fighters, platformers, brawlers, the occasional offline co-op and more
I would trade one Paradox strategy for all of the console exclusives, especially the ones that involve shooting, dodging, rolling and cinematic.
It's actually overpriced, and many games look and work like shit. You can buy a better PC for around $300 (G4560, 1050Ti, 8GB). Basically, a console killer build.
Mods make games better, but they aren't required. Console peasants would gladly accept modding, but they can't since their masters won't allow that.
Sure, PC doesn't have fighting games (Tekken, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, etc.), platformers (Steam is drowning in those), racing games (rFactor, Assetto Corsa, PCars, SimBin games, Forza, Codemasters games, etc.), offline co-op (surely, you won't be able to attach two gamepads to PC?).

Consoles have no advantages over PC, unless you can admit that you are a retard, and PC is too complicated for you. That's the only thing I can't argue with.

sullynathan

Arcane
I would trade one Paradox strategy for all of the console exclusives, especially the ones that involve shooting, dodging, rolling and cinematic.
ok

It's actually overpriced, and many games look and work like shit. You can buy a better PC for around $300 (G4560, 1050Ti, 8GB). Basically, a console killer build.
this build costs more than a console for at best a difference in 10 -15 fps.

PC doesn't have fighting games (Tekken, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, etc.)
played more on consoles and consoles have more of them

platformers
best are on consoles

racing games (rFactor, Assetto Corsa, PCars, SimBin games, Forza, Codemasters games, etc.)
most and the best are on consoles, i'll give you this one

offline co-op (surely, you won't be able to attach two gamepads to PC?
no one is doing that

Paul_cz

Arcane
PC is infinitely better than console when it comes to quality of experience, that is an objective fact.

I still bought a fucking console for some of those sony/sega funded exclusives though. But fuck consoles.

Latelistener

Arcane
this build costs more than a console for at best a difference in 10 -15 fps.
60fps in GTA V, with better visuals. Go figure.

PC doesn't have fighting games (Tekken, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, etc.)
played more on consoles and consoles have more of them
Enough for not wanting a console.

platformers
best are on consoles
Which ones?

racing games (rFactor, Assetto Corsa, PCars, SimBin games, Forza, Codemasters games, etc.)
most and the best are on consoles, i'll give you this one
They do not even have a proper racing simulator.

offline co-op (surely, you won't be able to attach two gamepads to PC?
no one is doing that
Don't talk for everyone, it's a bad habit.
The fact is that you can do that, and the rest is doesn't matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom