Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, well, I'm currently crashing every time I try to enter the Neuromod Division for that one late-game side quest. It's a common bug that was never fixed; the only workaround is to replace the saved game's map file of the Neuromod Division with a file from an earlier save, or a new game save. I've had five or six crashes over the course of the game, as well as various slowdowns that occur if you spend a lot of time in one level (worst was in the reactor, also a very common problem) that you have to reload from the main menu or restart the game to clear, but this one's a showstopper.

Joy. Honestly, at this point I might just read a synopsis/watch the endings on YouTube. It was a great ride while it lasted. :salute:
You'll miss a bit by the game not being able to react to your choices, although if you have to do save hacking odds are it won't be able to anyway.

Zakhad

Savant
Probably the foreshadowing you mentioned.
It's very cleverly foreshadowed.
There is at least one hidden log that discusses Alex's attempts to introduce human mirror neurons in a Typhon creature. This is what he ends up doing to the player in the simulation.
The tutorial is also designed to test if the player has any instinctual desire to use their Typhon powers that they'd have outside of the simulation. At first I thought it was to test any powers that may be left over following Morgan's daily memory wipe. However, this doesn't hold that much weight because of how well established it is already that they'd definitely lose their powers. It's right from the start, the simulation is testing the player to see just how alien they are.
There's probably other stuff but I haven't played in a while, so I forget some specifics. I liked the ending for how it judged player choices in the context of the universe. The cutscenes for the ending choices were short and bad, but the sequel hook was pretty neat imo. Of course we'll probably never see a sequel where you play a Human-Typhon augment, but whatever.

Also in foreshadowing:
There are a few times when Alex and Igwe in particular are talking (didn't notice it with the other two "survivors", but it might happen) where it seems clear they're actually talking from outside the simulation, that this is them acting out their roles rather than just simulated characters, e.g. Alex saying he wants you back, not "the way you are now", or when Igwe says the pianist is "dead now" as a kind of meaningful aside that he doesn't explain, a fact which is true for him but is not yet true in the simulation.

Yeah, I distinctly remember the chat/note about MNs, one of the most memorable bits of information you can find.

Anyway... what to play now, what to play... ah, I know! :salute:

rzt0wGR.png

Last time I tried to replay with similar mod list about half a year ago but game ui was all messed up all over the screen and I couldn't figure out a fix for it so got grumpy and uninstalled. Should go for another try with bare minimum of mods sometime soon.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
My guess for ending was
The entire station was an experiment like the apartment, just on a larger scale, which is pretty close to the actual twist. There's even a point later in the game when you get to the bridge where you can see into space through a huge window, (actually a looking glass) and if you find a vent that leads behind it, creepy "reveal" music starts playing. I can't be sure, but this might be an attempt at a fakeout to disguise the real twist later on.

It's heavily foreshadowed that you're in some kind of fake reality from the start, but I didn't see the "no Morgan u are the typhon" part coming. I wrote off the visions of Earth covered in the typhon coral as a sort of "vision of a terrible future if you fail" type thing. I also didn't try using the escape pod to flee the station until after I'd already beaten the game, so that didn't spoil it for me - if you do just use the escape pod it pretty much spoils the twist for you by confirming that it is a simulation of some kind. That's what you get for being a dirty coward!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Talby, you fuck. I was about to reply to Multidirectional without using a quote or tag, but then you posted the second I was about to press Post Reply... over four hours since the last reply. :lol:

Multidirectional Only problem I had was that the UI was waaaaay too small in high resolution, but a quick search engine told me which configuration setting to change, and then the UI elements were scaled up to a perfect size.

Arnust

Savant
Yoo!

My money is in a Death Of The Outsidet style expansion/game whatever deal. Maybe for E3 or somewhere close before it.

Arnust

Savant
That's only the second guy, really. Odd that it's not on the XB1X, though. Makes more sense considering it's technically a next-gen game, I guess.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's only the second guy, really. Odd that it's not on the XB1X, though. Makes more sense considering it's technically a next-gen game, I guess.

I'm sure Prey is available for the Bone X. It's just a hardware upgraded of the Bone. What they presumably want are the graphics settings tweaked to take advantage of the Bone X's hardware, since Prey was released as-is before the Bone X was announced.

On my PC with a 1080Ti and a 144Hz monitor, Prey is absolutely gorgeous.

Arnust

Savant
Sadly it's not gonna run in my current rig (it already struggled when my Gcard wasn't burned) but oh well, I can wait. After all a kind of shitty PC release is expected for Bethesda titles nowadays.

Zakhad

Savant

Wait, WTF, why William Wu and not Yu? Or was that part of why you said yoo...?

Possibly this game takes place in a second alternate timeline, different in small ways from the main game's timeline? Would explain how they could actually tell a story that felt meaningful.

Or possibly someone just fucked it up...

Hines

Savant
As expected, creepy Pete Hines says more Prey's on the cards, though he can't specify when the new content will be revealed:

“As with a lot of stuff, we’re not a massive publisher that just churns out a ton of titles. We never have been. We really stick with our stuff after it launches, as we have with Prey.

Part of what you’ve probably noticed is that we’ve hired a new community manager, who’s been focused on Prey. She’s [Abigail] been awesome and has been doing a lot of fun stuff around April Fools’ and other things.

But yeah, I don’t think you’ve heard the last of Prey. I just couldn’t tell you precisely when you might hear more.”

https://www.dualshockers.com/bethesdas-pete-hines-last-of-prey/

We'll hear more at Bethesda's E3 conference on June 10.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Sigh...

I'm having less fun now. I just got to Alex's office, and it's a real chore. Ammo is ridiculously scarce, which means I have to sneak sneak sneak and I'm getting...bored. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like dropping the game.

Welcome to Prey! You won't enjoy your stay past the first half due to declining level design, a supreme focus on loot whoring, low enemy variety, too low challenge to offset your growing overabundance of resources, and generally uninteresting quest progression with a no-frills story that struggles to hold your attention.

It sucks, because there was huge potential here and I had a hell of a lot of fun with the first half. Enemies like the mimic held great promise, game just couldn't deliver.

Zakhad

Savant
Ammo is ridiculously scarce

Ammo is everywhere and materials to make it are everywhere. Don't even need to hoard that much, recycling a spare weapon gives you enough materials to craft a full brace of shotgun shells, especially gloo guns and there are spares of those everywhere. If you save your recycler grenades and recycle every turret you find, you're set for materials for ammo.

Plus the wrench knocks a lot of enemies down, so you barely need ammo for operators, for example, just smash em.

But seriously I don't understand how you're running out unless you're solely using the pistol 24/7?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sigh...

I'm having less fun now. I just got to Alex's office, and it's a real chore. Ammo is ridiculously scarce, which means I have to sneak sneak sneak and I'm getting...bored. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like dropping the game.

You can ... RUN!!! :)

Really, I've simply ran pass everything during the last bits of the game.

Last edited:

Vexxt

Educated
I see a lot of people treating this game like an FPS when it isn't. Shotgun, pistol - honestly you shouldn't need a lot of ammo if you come up with creative ways to kill your enemies. I was setting traps where I would stack 2-3 explosive tanks near a choke point, lure a few enemies close, and it was a done deal.

Replayed a bit of this game with the realistic lighting mod yesterday - the game really is beautiful and well designed. However, I can't deny that the last 1/3 felt rushed.

I think a couple new enemy types towards the end and perhaps some additional exploration along with one more new weapon\mechanic could have saved the last bit. Still, it's one of my favorite games from the past 10 years. It's hard to complain about Prey with all the garbage out there.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i'm p sure i kept shooting everything to deff ever since stumbling into psychotronix and i've never been any close to running out of ammo until the end of the game

Arnust

Savant
You can even just still shoot enemies to deal most of the damage, it's just then ideal to Gloo, sneak attack, stun or EMP them before pumping the damage in as they have pretty hefty multipliers and it's also safer while you're at it. I did that with every single enemy that was avaleible for either of those and never ran out of ammo in my dedicated weapons. Of course there's no need to do it to every single one, I just got kind of obsessive about it.

Zakhad

Savant
wasting neuromods by crafting ammo

What

Exotic material is the limiting factor on Neuromods, not mineral or synthetic... last time I played, by the time I got to craft all the neuromods I wanted (you can do this before psychotronics), I still had about 100 mineral materials left after doing that. I was being a bit OCD about recycling, but even so... no idea how you'd run out of other stuff before exotic, which is way more rare than any other type even if you kill everything, have that surgery perk, and clear both exotic material store-rooms.

Parabalus

Arcane
wasting neuromods by crafting ammo

What

Exotic material is the limiting factor on Neuromods, not mineral or synthetic... last time I played, by the time I got to craft all the neuromods I wanted (you can do this before psychotronics), I still had about 100 mineral materials left after doing that. I was being a bit OCD about recycling, but even so... no idea how you'd run out of other stuff before exotic, which is way more rare than any other type even if you kill everything, have that surgery perk, and clear both exotic material store-rooms.

IIRC I had 80ish exotic when I ran out of the others. Necropsy is the first perk I took though, and I didn't backtrack to store clutter to recycle for the others.

Sigh...

Welcome to Prey! You won't enjoy your stay past the first half due to declining level design,

Is (your) Deus Ex an example of much better level design?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom