Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Ash

Arcane
Not surprised.

Latelistener

Arcane
2016:

HEW7LWy.png

Now:

Y4noEN0.png
Is there a chance that you will open more skills later? Because the alien skill trees aren't available either.

Ash

Arcane
The GUI indicates you'll open three new trees (blank tabs/buttons), but the skills in each tree are as they appear in quantity. Ultimately speculation though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks more like they removed this trauma entirely from what I've seen.

Indeed, it looks like the removed skills in Science tree are all trauma/status effect related. (And from the looks of videos, Engineer and Security tress look like almost stayed same.)

HOPEFULLY, it's possible they just made the system optional difficulty setting.

Ash

Arcane
Lots of wishful thinking ITT. More like you get eight or so skills, they're all overpowered as shit, the game ends in eight hours and is generally bland and unfulfilling...10/10 GOTY pat on the back developers here's your big fat paycheck and rise to "AAA" status and stardom for compromising your craft. Meanwhile the true innovation and entertainment born of passionate blood, sweat and tears is found in their "clunky shit" first game that mostly nobody has played, or the game this new one draws inspiration from: System Shock 1/2.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe they cut talents down cause they were banal shit boring +5%->+10% so you have points to go more hybrid.

Can't wait to play this game 5 days after launch when CPY cracks it.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Note that not only are many of the (likely trauma-related) skills in the Scientist tree cut, but two entire trees are missing from the total number of tabs in the 2016 preview version.

Shame, I was actually interested in this since I finally got around to playing System Shock. My hope was that ripping off Shock 1/2 as hard as possible would at least lead to some decent depth but Arkane seems committed to blue-balling me with their design decisions. They apparently understand that you shouldn't be able to max all of the skills, but if Dishonored is anything to go by it'll be trivially easy to get through the game with some over-powered warp/telekenesis/transformation ability with no cost that blows every other upgrade out of the water.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like Beth marketing team learned a thing or two from Goat Simulator devs.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/LTqNfHoHy6waISUk8EUKW/prey-mimic-madness

Typhon have overrun Talos I, and Morgan Yu alone must stop the alien threat from destroying humanity. But don’t worry! As mankind’s last hope, you’ll be armed with a host of upgradeable human-based abilities to fend off the alien infestation. But why stop there when you can turn the tables on the aliens using their own powers? That’s right… in Prey, you’ll also gain access to Typhon abilities – unique alien powers learned by scanning the Typhon that are hunting you aboard the orbiting space station.

One of the first powers you’ll learn is Mimic Matter. Acquired from the diminutive (and aptly named) Mimic Typhon, this power allows you to take the form of just about any appropriately sized object aboard Talos I. You’ll start small – a coffee mug, a teapot, a lamp, a banana – but as you level up this ability, you’ll soon be able to mimic more complex objects, including an impressive array of security turrets and Operator robots.

“Mimic is a really fun power with a lot of uses,” says Lead Designer Ricardo Bare. “The most obvious is stealth. It's a great way to hide from an alien that might be too strong for you. Or, you can get the drop on an alien by ambushing them. It's also a really good way to access a closed-off area. Maybe there's a security booth that you don't have the key to – you could mimic something small enough to slip through a security slot.”

When you reach Level 2 of Mimic Matter, you can take the form of more complex objects like turrets. “You not only look like a turret but you can fire like a turret,” says Lead Systems Designer Seth Shain. “If you’re running low on ammo, it's a really useful way to take down enemies.” And as you further advance this ability, you’ll eventually be able to mimic Operator robots and fly through Talos I with different robotic tools and weapons.

Prey_MimicMatter_730x254.jpg

With over 400 items you can mimic, Prey allows for an astounding amount of emergent gameplay with this one power alone. “The ability to look around a room, to activate the mimic power and then choose what object I want to turn into never ceases to delight me,” says Lead Producer Susan Kath. “There are just so many different things that you can mimic.”

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Great, it seems they're relying on gimmickry and mimicry again as in Dishonored.

Gimmickry: "look at all the cool things this one power can do!"...and it turns out that's the only merit the game has in interactive content/gameplay, and it's totally overpowered.
Mimmickry: blatant ripping from Shock/selling itself as a new Shock game of sorts, but dumbing it down considerably.

Mimicry sneak fucks. Mimic LGS properly as you did with Arx Fatalis. That was incline.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Great, they're relying on gimmickry and mimicry again as in Dishonored.

Gimmickry: "look at all the cool things this one power can do!"...and it turns out that's the only merit the game has in interactive content/gameplay, and it's totally overpowered.
Mimmickry: blatant ripping from Shock/selling itself as a new Shock game of sorts, but dumbing it down considerably.

mimicry sneak fucks.

650b2ec37219672517e44d51a500ef7d448baae0

Ash

Arcane
Note the previous was partially tongue in cheek. Game could still be worthy, but my expectations are extremely low and everything points to this being another Dishonored so far. Sorry for having standards (something Dishonored fans like yourself and Morgoth clearly lack) and not supporting the decline of the once magnificent Immersive Sim.

V_K

Arcane
Great, it seems they're relying on gimmickry and mimicry again as in Dishonored.

Mimicry sneak fucks. Mimic LGS properly as you did with Arx Fatalis. That was incline.
Well, to be fair Arkane had always had a thing for gimmicks - remember Arx's spellcasting?

Ash

Arcane
I don't consider the spellcasting a gimmick, but rather a simulated mechanic of sorts and a step in the right direction from Underworld's runes, only the exection could have been better. And even if that were Arx's gimmick, it still had plenty else going for it -- unlike Dish.

It becomes a gimmick when it's a main selling point and used to disguise a lack of quality elsewhere.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If only you could use those skills to fuck with human npcs instead of emotionless goo monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom