Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
It definitely sounds a lot more streamlined

how?
I don't mean it in a negative way, but in comparison to Underworld there's no weight management, no bartering system (maybe not even a dialogue system at all), you don't interact with the items themselves in the game world since you just press X to inventory/use them (I really want to torch corn in a game again), you can use your saved up skill points whenever/wherever you want instead of going to a trainer or shrine, using skills is as simple as selecting it on a wheel and pressing B. Haven't heard anything about a hunger/fatigue system either.
Again I'm not slighting Prey when I say this, compared to the current crop of modern AAA games it's a fucking godsend, but there's a lot of tiny grognard details that excite me missing (granted others like being able to kinetically blast yourself in mimic form added in).

Oh and that reminds me, there's still no confirmation on whether it will have Arx-style melee combat with movement affecting the swing.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Why does the guy on the left keep touching his face and head? Couldn't watch, was kind of creepy. Thought he might be on crystal meth or something.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Arx is overrated.

Hmm... I smell another thread full of drama and butthurt in the making. :bounce:

But seriously, is Arx actually that special? Every serious observation I've read about it suggests that it's a game with some interesting ideas but ultimately is a bit too flawed and rough around the edges to actually compete with other greats in the first person RPG genre, including the game it supposedly was inspired by, Ultima Underworld.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Arx is overrated.

Hmm... I smell another thread full of drama and butthurt in the making. :bounce:

But seriously, is Arx actually that special? Every serious observation I've read about it suggests that it's a game with some interesting ideas but ultimately is a bit too flawed and rough around the edges to actually compete with other greats in the FPS RPG genre, including the game it supposedly was inspired by, Ultima Underworld.

FPS stands for First-Person SHOOTER which Arx is not.

As for Arx, nobody gives a fuck about ((serious)) observations or Morgoth's lack of taste. Play the game. It's great.

tormund

Arcane
Melee combat is simple, ranged one is limited and monotonous, and stealth is useless. But magic system is one of the best in action games once you get used to casting, atmosphere and exploration are top notch and game allows for surprising degree freedom and experimentation. Flawed as it is, it is still the best and most unique game Arkane has made.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Console gamers, watch yourself. We are getting flawless PC launch title. :whiteknight:

MasterRace2-667x342.jpg

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Crysis 2 was a terrible port in contrast to Crysis 1, showing that the engine isn't magically going to ensure good PC optimization without developer effort.
Crysis 2 ran much better for me than the original. The game sucked, but I can't fault them for optimization, at least not until they forced the DX11/high-res texture patch for everyone. But that made the game at least look unbelievably pretty. It wasn't a launch issue.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.finder.com.au/arkane-prey-zero-g-gameplay

Can you talk about the technical challenge of getting the zero-g sections to play well?

Bare: We’re not done with the game yet and we are still working on it, but it is one of those features where you want to find the sweet-spot between realistic and fun. That is one axis of the challenge. The other is what the interface should be. We’re not trying to make a full-on NASA simulation that will lose 90% of players! We’re still in the middle of it, but we feel like we have something that is pretty fun. It’s fun to cruise around outside the space station because it’s just one big, open environment. You can navigate to different areas, you can find hidden things, and there are even sidequests out there.

So what happens if you just jet off into space?

Bare:
This is going to get super nerdy, but the space station has a magnetosphere around it – kind of like the Earth does - that protects it from radiation. So if you go too far out you leave the envelope of that magnetic shielding and you will die pretty quickly. You cannot fly to the Earth or the moon, I’m sorry.

Colantonio: Even though we did model the Earth.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official announcement with new gameplay trailer: https://bethesda.net/en/article/QCO...lease-date-gameplay-trailer-2-and-new-details

Prey – Release Date, Gameplay Trailer 2 & New Details

An alien-infested space station. Badass weapons and powers. And… Yu. Fight your way through the deadly Typhon aliens as Morgan Yu while unraveling the mysteries behind the infestation – and your own identity – in this sci-fi thriller from Arkane Studios. Prey will be available on May 5, 2017, on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

NEW GAMEPLAY TRAILER

The latest gameplay trailer ratchets up the tension while revealing a little more about the central conflict in Prey. After you watch the trailer, continue on for some new insights into what you just saw…

“What the hell have you done?”

Near the start of the trailer, we hear a gravely voice questioning… someone. “What the hell have you done?” he growls. Shortly after, a different voice pierces the chaos with a panicked fervor: “Oh my God! Security! Security!” Clearly, something’s gone very wrong aboard Talos I. The Typhon aliens have escaped containment, slaughtered many of the people aboard, and now have free reign on this massive space station.

Prey_ReleaseDate_Phantom_730x411.png

The Office of Morgan Yu

Who exactly is Morgan Yu? While Prey’s protagonist remains shrouded in mystery (for now), one new detail has been revealed thanks to a quick glimpse of his office door. Morgan is the VP, Director of Research for TranStar Corporation aboard Talos I.

Prey_ReleaseDate_Morgan_730x411.png

Playing with Powers

What kind of research is Morgan conducting aboard Talos I? Among other things, he had been studying the Typhon aliens. “We’ve been testing a new kind of Neuromod based on the Typhon organisms,” he says in the trailer. These Neuromods are what you use to gain alien powers. And you “install” these powers by injecting needles into your eye socket. Ouch!

Prey_ReleaseDate_Neuromods_730x411.png

Making copies

The trailer shows several different Typhon in action, including the Mimic, which can do exactly what its name suggests: copy almost anything in the space station. Once you learn this alien’s power, you can do the same – mimic anything that’s roughly the mass of the player or smaller, and that’s not bolted down. Later in the trailer, we show Morgan using a higher-level version of the Mimic ability, becoming a fully functioning turret and blasting away some aliens.

Prey_ReleaseDate_Mimics_730x411.png

Take a shot

Powers are great, but sometimes you just want to shoot something. That’s where the weapons come in. The new trailer shows off a range of firearms, including: the S4 Tactical Pump Shotgun, the GLOO Cannon (also handy for building new traversal paths and covering up gaseous jets of flame), the Typhon Lure, the Q-Beam (or “TS-QPB-S11 Quasiparticle Beam,” to be precise), the Disruptor Stun Gun, a Recycler Charge and, of course, a handy wrench when you just need to bash an alien in its alien head.

Prey_ReleaseDate_GLOOCannon_730x411.png

All aboard

We already said the Talos I is massive. But the station is also a fully contiguous area that you can explore at will – both inside Talos I and out in the cold vacuum of space. Along with the stately “neo-deco” lobby and lavishly appointed offices, Talos I includes austere laboratories, an industrial underbelly, a lush arboretum and many other diverse areas to explore. Just beware: you never know what lurks around the bend.

Prey_ReleaseDate_Arboretum_730x411.png

COSMONAUT SHOTGUN PACK

Along with Prey’s release date, Bethesda revealed the Cosmonaut Shotgun Pack. Exclusively available when you preorder the game, this pack includes a few new tools that’ll come in handy when fighting the Typhon. Along with three Neuromods (which you can spend to acquire new abilities), two medkits, and a fabrication plan to create shotgun ammo (because ammo, in general, is scarce aboard Talos I), you’ll also receive a Yu family heirloom – the Margrave shotgun.

Designed especially for Catherine Yu’s participation in the Centennial European Shooting Championship, the Throne Margrave is a masterpiece of firearm craftsmanship. Mahogany stock, a proprietary metal-alloy barrel and 24-karat gold inlay combined with superior electronic gun control systems deliver the ultimate shooting experience. Mrs. Yu worked closely with Throne ergonomic experts to make this gun an extension of the shooter’s body – fast to point and easy to discharge.

The Cosmonaut Shotgun Pack also includes one unique upgrade that’ll help you preserve your limited resources. Preorder today to receive the Cosmonaut Shotgun Pack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom