Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prey 2 by Arkane - not cancelled after all?

BobtheTree

Savant
I like Arkane getting this game. Good to hear they're also going back to step one with the game. I assume they'll take the concept and run with it. Dishonored was good despite a few missteps and Prey 2 seemed like something that would have been in the same vein.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not saying it would be good just that if you gave me a choice of them attempting Arx 2 or Prey 2 I'd take Arx. Who cares about Prey?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Butthurt former Prey 2 developer is butthurt:

According to the tweets pulled by PCgamesN, Jason L. Blair was a narrative designer and writer on the game for the last six months of its development.

Now at Volition, Blair took to Twitter to break his silence on the matter, after rumors of Arkane Studios taking over the project surfaced yesterday.

“This Prey 2/Arkane rumor is giving new life to a lot of old lies,” he said. “I’m been quiet about this whole business but can’t stay so anymore.

“I’ve worked at/with Human Head Games for years, including different stages of Prey 2 development .I was narrative designer/writer on Prey 2 for the last six months of its development at Human Head. It was a lot more than a demo. Prey 2 was a full game. And a crazy fun one. The team was small but you wouldn’t have known it.

“What happened to Prey 2, from where I sat, was political. And petty. And potentially litigable. Human Head had a great game. I was heartbroken when Prey 2 went into limbo. Human Head deserved to have that game released. Frankly, they needed it.

“As for Arkane, I’ve enjoyed what I played of Dishonored. They have the chops. If the rumor is true, they’ll likely do well with Prey 2. But I mourn that Prey 2 won’t belong to Human Head. I mourn that my friends won’t get recognition for what they accomplished.”​

Source.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So they're being forced to develop a game against their will? :lol:

This will definitely end well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

PR stunt. They are disgusted in the same proportion as a whore getting paid.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Apparently Bethesda fucked Human Head in the pooper:

Following Prey 2’s impressive showing at E3 2011, Bethesda, pleased with the team’s work, promised Human Head a development extension of six months to one year – all the time it needed to populate the mostly complete game world with missions, polish what rough edges remained, and ship Prey 2 in 2012 as planned. “That’s when Bethesda decided to play hardball and buy the studio,” said one source familiar with the situation. Another person close to Bethesda and Human Head shared a similar story.

In the following months, a source claimed, "Bethesda denied further funding of the project, and started failing milestones,” asking for changes and fixes without following through on its previous promise to give the team more time. The promise, however, was not inked on the contract, so Bethesda had no legal obligation to fulfill it. In addition, a source said, Bethesda was likely concerned with the "dated planning, tools, and techniques" Human Head was using. Meanwhile, the contract didn’t give the creative team any leverage: Prey 2 was the only game Human Head was legally allowed to develop on its own until the agreement expired -- to fill time and keep the lights on, the studio supported the development BioShock Infinite and Defiance. If it were to ever release, the team needed more cash and time to meet the rising demands to adjust Prey 2, which "needed a lot of work" and was "lackluster" from the publisher's perspective.

Conflict erupted – Human Head asked Bethesda to provide additional time and money, while Bethesda asked Human Head to meet the criteria agreed upon by their existing agreement. At this point, Bethesda "thought they could bully [Human Head] into a corner,” a source said, and the publisher made a move to buy Human Head. “It was one of few studios that could work with and improve id Technology. They wanted to buy us at a sweet price,” but the developer denied the buyout[/b]. Human Head didn't want to permanently marry itself to a publisher that was "bleeding Human Head dry." This would limit the studio's ability to work on its own creative endeavors down the line, potentially with other publishers.

In November 2011, in a play to keep Bethesda from purchasing Human Head, and as a result of the contract dispute, development stopped. One source called it a strike. In the following months, Bethesda and Human Head communicated sporadically, “but the conversation was very one sided. The studio made reasonable offers, but nothing came to fruition. Nothing moved in 2012.”

Bethesda appeared to wait out Human Head. The contractual agreement between the two eventually came to term, Bethesda got its game back without spending any more money, and Human Head went on its way – the team is currently working with a new publisher on another open-world game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...-heads-prey-2?abthid=51af79d92aabedda5500000c

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, Zenimax's CEO is this upstading citizen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Altman

Altman is a lawyer. He became part of the company BCCI. During his time there he was accused of helping the business buy an American bank and lying to US regulators about it. In 1992, he was indicted for eight felony charges in New York. Altman maintained that he himself was duped by the bank. He was acquitted of all charges, although he did agree to be banned from banking to settle a civil suit by the Federal Reserve.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
He's married to Wonder Woman, so he can't be evil.

Elder+Scrolls+V+Skyrim+Official+Launch+Party+CyJOoQ5TD3rl.jpg

Robert+Altman+Rage+Official+Launch+Party+Inside+xpJImDXfzmex.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Hey guys, game is looking decent. Here, have six more months to really polish it up."

*original deadline arrives*

"WHAT IS THIS SHIT, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO FINISH THE GAME AND USE THE EXTRA SIX MONTHS TO MAKE DAY 1 DLC. NO MORE MONEY FOR YOU."

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
"Hey guys, game is looking decent. Here, have six more months to really polish it up."

*original deadline arrives*

"WHAT IS THIS SHIT, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO FINISH THE GAME AND USE THE EXTRA SIX MONTHS TO MAKE DAY 1 DLC. NO MORE MONEY FOR YOU."
Could also be a Aliens: Colonial Marines story. Very impressive E3 vertical slice that impresses, but then it turns out the actual game is complete shit. Then developer gets butthurt when Bethesda wants to pull the plug.

Seems strange that Bethesda would pour a lot of millions in a project, only then to drop everything and pour millions in a rebooted project.

Name

Cipher

PR stunt. They are disgusted in the same proportion as a whore getting paid.

That Human Head thinks that Arkane was bought under the same way the Head was supposed to be bought, during the production of Dishonored. That's why they say they are forced, as in the sense of being forced to become a whore.
If this is true, maybe Obsidian had the same experience, but the shrewd basketball player Feargus smelt the trap and got away. (Or not, since they have to resort to make MMO with russians now).

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/18/bethesda-explains-prey-2-silence

Bethesda has commented on the lack of news regarding Prey 2. In the wake of rumors about development shifting to Arkane and accounts from anonymous sources, we sat down with Bethesda VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines at E3 to ask why there have been no official updates since Bethesda’s April 2012 statement.
We appreciate that folks are displeased that we haven’t had any update or any info on Prey 2, but whatever your displeasure is, you can’t even be remotely as unhappy about it as us,” Hines told IGN. “We spent years and millions of dollars and a ton of effort trying to help Human Head make a great Prey 2 game. What we said the last time we said anything was that it’s not up to our quality standards.

Hines continued, "it’s simply not good enough. We’re not going to just proceed blindly with something that isn’t good enough. We’ve been very specific about why, and we’ve been very specific about the whats. When that gets addressed and changed or whatever, at that point we can give an update. But nobody’s disappointment is greater than ours. We spent a lot of time and money and effort trying to make this thing happen and support folks, but at the same time, you just can’t keep throwing money at it and saying, ‘sure, it’ll eventually work.’ You have to have the discipline to say, ‘it’s not good enough. It’s not hitting the quality bar. Why isn’t it? We’ve been at this for a while, and what we have is not what we talked about.’ So that’s where we are.”

Hines also addressed the various “leaks” and rumors coming out of Human Head, noting “I think all of the stuff that you’ve heard at this point has been from one side of this, and it’s been somebody putting spin on it, like, ‘here’s what happened.’ No, that’s your version of what you think happened. I haven’t heard from anybody yet that actually sat in the room. There are quite a few folks at Human Head that I really like. Chris Rhinehart is one of the nicest guys I have ever met in this industry. He’s somebody I would consider a friend. I love hanging out with him. This isn’t anything to do with anything personal. I love that guy. I like a lot of the folks up there. It just has to do more with what the product looks like and if it’s good enough. As we said in our last update, it’s not good enough. It’s not where it needs to be. When we have more info than that, we’ll let you know.

We asked Hines if it was at least reassuring that fans are continuing to ask about Prey 2, which at the very least is an indicator that there’s still interest.
“It’s great that people have passion for something that we’ve talked about,” Hines said. “I understand that, in general, there’s a lot of cynicism about the developer versus the publisher. But sometimes you just have to step back and be practical about it. What is the chance that we have some amazing, unbelievable game and we’re just not talking about it for no reason? Zero. This is a business. We do have bills to pay and people to employ. They have families that they would like to provide for. You don’t just keep throwing money at something or going down a path that you’re not happy about. You have to make tough choices. Again, when we have more info on it, we’ll be happy to talk about it. That’s what I can say for now.”

We’ll have much more from Hines regarding Wolfenstein and The Elder Scrolls Online in the days to come.

I just hope it won't end as polished as DNF.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess Arkane dodged a bullet http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/02/bethesda-talks-prey-2-denies-arkane-involvement/

Bethesda Talks Prey 2, Denies Arkane Involvement

By Nathan Grayson on August 2nd, 2013 at 10:00 am.
pre1.jpg
Where once Prey 2 burned as bright as an exploding star, it’s now nearly blipped out of existence. Strikes and stall-outs allegedly sidelined the promising sequel for many moons, andtalk of cancellation wrapped a rapidly tightening noose around its neck. But then, a twist: rumors rushed from the Internet’s every exceedingly awkward orifice door that Dishonored developer Arkane had taken the reins on the beleaguered bounty hunter because, well, Bethesda got kinda pushy about it. However, as part of an interview during QuakeCon, I asked Bethesda’s Pete Hines about the situation, and he told a very, very different tale.

“No,” he told RPS when asked if Prey 2 has moved from Human Head to Arkane’s human hands. “All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from. The Human Head Prey 2 thing is the Human Head Prey 2 thing. Arkane is over here, and they’re doing their thing, and that’s for them to work on. We’ll be ready to talk about what they’re working on when it gets closer to release.”

That is, um… OK. Quite definitive. Frankly, I was very surprised. So then, what is happening? Well, Hines was adamant about one thing: Prey 2 isn’t down for the count. It wasn’t up to snuff previously, but it will get there – in some form or another.

“It just wasn’t where it needed to be,” he admitted. “It wasn’t meeting expectations that we had and – in some respects – Human Head had. We’re not just gonna proceed with a plan of putting this thing out until that gets addressed in a way that we feel like will be worth all this time and attention.”

prey2.jpg

“Yes, we could ship it and put it in a box and be done with it, but it won’t meet anybody’s expectations. Not ours, not yours, not the consumer’s. It’d just be like, ‘What happened to this?’ Well, that’s what we would like to know. It’s not fun to make a call to pull back the reins on something like that and say it’s not coming out this year. It’s certainly not an easy decision, especially after you spent years and millions and millions of dollars creating it.”

So Bethesda’s called for a mulligan. But clearly, people were extremely excited about what Prey 2 at least looked like it would become. I asked Hines if the plan was still to pursue something resembling that vision, if not an entirely similar path to realizing it. At that point, unfortunately, he got a bit cagey. A long, brow-furrowing pause, and then:

“It probably doesn’t help me to define that any further. The reason that it got delayed the way it did is because it was not hitting the quality bar that it was supposed to and needed to. That was ultimately the problem. It had nothing to do with what it was trying to do. It just didn’t hit the quality bar. It’s kind of like Wolfenstein, which is getting delayed to next year because it’s showing promise, but it needs more time and polish to hit the quality bar we expect. Prey 2 is not the first time that we’ve moved something because of that. It’s gonna come down to quality.”

Well, that’s something at least. Kind of. Whoever’s working on Prey 2 right now, I wish them the best. Here’s hoping we get something meatier to chew on soon. But until then, I guess all I can say is see you, space cowboy noir detective parkour alien man creature thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom